ATX 12V 8pin connector wont power CPU

Junior Member

Folks

I have a weird problem trying to assemble my barebone kit. Here are my specs

AMD Athlon 64 X2, XFX Geforce 8200 Mobo and XFX Ge8500GT Graphics Card
600W PSU

The moment I connect the 8 Pin 12V power connector into the Mobo, I am unable to power up the pc. Removing the connector allows me to power up and I see the LEDs lightup and all fans run. But CPU, Harddrives and DVD drives dont get any power. No signal on the monitor.

I am confused. Is this a bad Mobo Problelm? PSU works fine since i it powers up if Idnt connec thte 8pin Aux power connector to the mobo..

Anyone..please help

Junior Member

I have a similar problem. After soft shutdown it won't start up. The fans just spin for a second stop and repeat. If I unplug the atx connector, all the other stuff starts up. I am thinking all the extras are 3.3 and 5 volt. So Either the 12v is having a problem from the psu or theres something going on with the cpu. My kids have knocked my system over a couple times. I have a heavy cpu cooler that could have damaged the board or the cpu.
The problem only seems to happen when the computer is shutdown through windows. Pushing the power button or reset doesn't lead to this. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
ThanksLEon

Old M/B and new Power Supply problems with 12V power connector jagemail@gmail.com Gateway 2 10-10-2005 07:28 PM
PSU missing 12v 4-pin connector 4 CPU power supply TJ Sackville-West Motherboards 8 12-19-2004 11:05 PM
What is -12V for? Usually -12V shows no voltage at startup Herbert Chan Asus 6 08-05-2004 01:28 AM
ATX 12V connector ppk2 MSI 3 10-30-2003 07:39 PM
Re: ATX 12v (JP1) power connection necessary A.N.Other MSI 0 08-24-2003 10:54 PM