ATX_12V_2X and PCI_EXPRESS_16 power leads

Keith Beef

Hi, all.

I'm putting together a new system, with a Gigabyte P35-DS3P motherboard in
a full tower case.

I've just noticed that the ATX_12V_2X cable from the PSU is too short
(at 53.5cm) to reach. It would need to be around 15cm longer to
comfortably reach without hindering air flow or access to other components.

This is a PSU with "modular" leads, i.e. the lead in question
connects to a socket on the PSU.

So the question is, is it worth trying to buy a longer lead, or can I get
buy without? The CPU is an Intel Q6600, the PSU is a Thermaltake
W0106RU (rated 700W).

Also, for a single video card in a PCI Express 16X slot, do I really need
the extra power lead which seems to go from the PSU to a 4-pin molex
connector on the motherboard? Or the lead which would go from the PSU
direct to the video card edge connector (requiring an adaptor)?

Am I right in thinking that these two leads are only necessary when two
cards are present in an SLI setup?

Beef.

Arno Wagner

Previously Keith Beef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, all.

> I'm putting together a new system, with a Gigabyte P35-DS3P motherboard in
> a full tower case.

> I've just noticed that the ATX_12V_2X cable from the PSU is too short
> (at 53.5cm) to reach. It would need to be around 15cm longer to
> comfortably reach without hindering air flow or access to other components.

> This is a PSU with "modular" leads, i.e. the lead in question
> connects to a socket on the PSU.

> So the question is, is it worth trying to buy a longer lead, or can I get
> buy without? The CPU is an Intel Q6600, the PSU is a Thermaltake
> W0106RU (rated 700W).

You cannot get by without. Even if the 12V lines in the ATX connector
supply the CPU, these would get seriously overloaded and likely melt
and may cause a fire. For this reason typically the CPU is supplied
only by the extra connector.

> Also, for a single video card in a PCI Express 16X slot, do I really need
> the extra power lead which seems to go from the PSU to a 4-pin molex
> connector on the motherboard? Or the lead which would go from the PSU
> direct to the video card edge connector (requiring an adaptor)?

You do not need the 4 pin molex, unless you have an older, high-powered
graphics card, that does not have its own power connector on the card.

You absolutely need to use the connection directly to the card if it
is present. Here, it is unlikely that you kill anything if you do not
use it, but the card draws most of its power from it and will simply
not work if you do not plug the extra connector in.

> Am I right in thinking that these two leads are only necessary when two
> cards are present in an SLI setup?

Wrong.

My take is that you bought a very badly designed tower case. The
PSU should sit directly above the mainboard. For ventilation
at the top, an extra fan shoul be used.

Side note: These connectors cost real money. They can each
transport something like 200W. Do you think they would
put them in if they were unneeded???

Arno

Keith Beef

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:21:11 +0000, Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously Keith Beef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> You do not need the 4 pin molex, unless you have an older, high-powered
> graphics card, that does not have its own power connector on the card.
>
> You absolutely need to use the connection directly to the card if it
> is present. Here, it is unlikely that you kill anything if you do not
> use it, but the card draws most of its power from it and will simply
> not work if you do not plug the extra connector in.
>
>> Am I right in thinking that these two leads are only necessary when two
>> cards are present in an SLI setup?

> Wrong.

What I meant here, was:
1. the PSU -> Molex connector
2. the PSU -> PCI Graphics card edge connector

> My take is that you bought a very badly designed tower case. The
> PSU should sit directly above the mainboard. For ventilation
> at the top, an extra fan shoul be used.
>
> Side note: These connectors cost real money. They can each
> transport something like 200W. Do you think they would
> put them in if they were unneeded???

Thanks for the information, Arno.

Arno Wagner

Previously Keith Beef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:21:11 +0000, Arno Wagner wrote:

>> Previously Keith Beef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> You do not need the 4 pin molex, unless you have an older, high-powered
>> graphics card, that does not have its own power connector on the card.
>>
>> You absolutely need to use the connection directly to the card if it
>> is present. Here, it is unlikely that you kill anything if you do not
>> use it, but the card draws most of its power from it and will simply
>> not work if you do not plug the extra connector in.
>>
>>> Am I right in thinking that these two leads are only necessary when two
>>> cards are present in an SLI setup?

>> Wrong.

> What I meant here, was:
> 1. the PSU -> Molex connector
> 2. the PSU -> PCI Graphics card edge connector

Oops, sorry. I thought you meant two times 2.
No, I am pretty sure the molex is only necessary
for a card that does not have 2. The PCI graphics card
edge connector needs to be used whenever it is present.

>> My take is that you bought a very badly designed tower case. The
>> PSU should sit directly above the mainboard. For ventilation
>> at the top, an extra fan shoul be used.
>>
>> Side note: These connectors cost real money. They can each
>> transport something like 200W. Do you think they would
>> put them in if they were unneeded???
>>

> Thanks for the information, Arno.

No problem.

Arno

Keith Beef

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:20:26 +0000, Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously Keith Beef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What I meant here, was:
>> 1. the PSU -> Molex connector
>> 2. the PSU -> PCI Graphics card edge connector

> Oops, sorry. I thought you meant two times 2.
> No, I am pretty sure the molex is only necessary
> for a card that does not have 2. The PCI graphics card
> edge connector needs to be used whenever it is present.

Right...

Now I'm a bit stuck. My video card didn't come with an adaptor to connect
a Molex 4-pin to the edge connector.
http://leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_graphic...&pronameid=363
As usual, the documentation is vague (to say the least)... I often get the
impression that a manual is written in such a way as to be generally
applicable to a dozen models, and specifically to none.

Beef.

Keith Beef

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:53:21 +0000, Keith Beef wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:20:26 +0000, Arno Wagner wrote:
>
>> Previously Keith Beef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> What I meant here, was:
>>> 1. the PSU -> Molex connector
>>> 2. the PSU -> PCI Graphics card edge connector

>> Oops, sorry. I thought you meant two times 2.
>> No, I am pretty sure the molex is only necessary
>> for a card that does not have 2. The PCI graphics card
>> edge connector needs to be used whenever it is present.
>>

> Right...
>
> Now I'm a bit stuck. My video card didn't come with an adaptor to connect
> a Molex 4-pin to the edge connector.
> http://leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_graphic...&pronameid=363
> As usual, the documentation is vague (to say the least)... I often get the
> impression that a manual is written in such a way as to be generally
> applicable to a dozen models, and specifically to none.
>
> Beef.

After more scouting around, I find that the edge connector is NOT for
power... It is the SLI connector!

I suppose I need to supply power to the molex connector on the mainboard,
then.

Beef.

Arno Wagner

Previously Keith Beef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:53:21 +0000, Keith Beef wrote:

>>> Oops, sorry. I thought you meant two times 2.
>>> No, I am pretty sure the molex is only necessary
>>> for a card that does not have 2. The PCI graphics card
>>> edge connector needs to be used whenever it is present.
>>>

>> Right...
>>
>> Now I'm a bit stuck. My video card didn't come with an adaptor to connect
>> a Molex 4-pin to the edge connector.
>> http://leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_graphic...&pronameid=363
>> As usual, the documentation is vague (to say the least)... I often get the
>> impression that a manual is written in such a way as to be generally
>> applicable to a dozen models, and specifically to none.
>>
>> Beef.

> After more scouting around, I find that the edge connector is NOT for
> power... It is the SLI connector!

> I suppose I need to supply power to the molex connector on the mainboard,
> then.

Ahhh. If it is is shaped from the PCB, then it is indeed the
SLI connector. A PCI-E power connector looks like this:

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/399/gts_power.jpg

Sorry again for misunderstanding. Yes, I think yiu should
use the molex on the mainboard.

Arno