Audigy 2 digital out to AV amp

Bruce Law

Apologies for this newbie question.

I've just bought the basic Audigy 2 card and perhaps I'm being naive here
but was I wrong in thinking it's possible to output 5.1 channels to my amp
using the digital out? I'm particularly thinking of games.

I've connected a mini-jack to phono adapter to the digital out and a phono
lead from that to the digital in on my AV amp, but can only get sound from
the front left and right channels using the speaker test in the 'Speaker
Settings' application. I suspect the signal is not even digital, despite
having told it to output only digital signals, because my Amp automatically
switches to analogue if there is no digital signal present. However I have
managed to get full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound via the same cable arrangement
when using PowerDVD and a suitable DVD.

Am I missing something or am I hoping for too much from the Audigy card?

Bruce

---

a@b.c

Yeah, you're expecting too much of the card. The card itself is not a dolby 5.1
digital encoder, so it won't output a 5.1 digital signal unless the software
generates it. This is why it works with powerDVD and a 5.1 DVD. To get 5.1
from games not programmed to generate it, you would need a solution like the
nvidia chips that are built into some motherboards.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:28:16 +0100, "Bruce Law"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Apologies for this newbie question.
>>
>>I've just bought the basic Audigy 2 card and perhaps I'm being naive here
>>but was I wrong in thinking it's possible to output 5.1 channels to my amp
>>using the digital out? I'm particularly thinking of games.
>>
>>I've connected a mini-jack to phono adapter to the digital out and a phono
>>lead from that to the digital in on my AV amp, but can only get sound from
>>the front left and right channels using the speaker test in the 'Speaker
>>Settings' application. I suspect the signal is not even digital, despite
>>having told it to output only digital signals, because my Amp automatically
>>switches to analogue if there is no digital signal present. However I have
>>managed to get full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound via the same cable arrangement
>>when using PowerDVD and a suitable DVD.
>>
>>Am I missing something or am I hoping for too much from the Audigy card?
>>
>>Bruce
>>

>>---

Bruce Law

Cheers. Are there any games that do pump out DD5.1 or DTS? And am I right in
presuming I can still connect up the 6 analogue outs of the Audigy to my amp
and get surround sound from (most) games.

Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, you're expecting too much of the card. The card itself is not a

dolby 5.1
> digital encoder, so it won't output a 5.1 digital signal unless the

software
> generates it. This is why it works with powerDVD and a 5.1 DVD. To get

5.1
> from games not programmed to generate it, you would need a solution like

the
> nvidia chips that are built into some motherboards.
>

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:28:16 +0100, "Bruce Law"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >>Apologies for this newbie question.
> >>
> >>I've just bought the basic Audigy 2 card and perhaps I'm being naive

here
> >>but was I wrong in thinking it's possible to output 5.1 channels to my

amp
> >>using the digital out? I'm particularly thinking of games.
> >>
> >>I've connected a mini-jack to phono adapter to the digital out and a

phono
> >>lead from that to the digital in on my AV amp, but can only get sound

from
> >>the front left and right channels using the speaker test in the 'Speaker
> >>Settings' application. I suspect the signal is not even digital, despite
> >>having told it to output only digital signals, because my Amp

automatically
> >>switches to analogue if there is no digital signal present. However I

have
> >>managed to get full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound via the same cable

arrangement
> >>when using PowerDVD and a suitable DVD.
> >>
> >>Am I missing something or am I hoping for too much from the Audigy card?
> >>
> >>Bruce
> >>

> >>---

---

a@b.c

You have to look on the box that the game comes in; if it say there's more than
two channels, fine; if not, you have to artificially generate the other channels
with some other software, on the fly. If you don't have 5.1 to start with or
artificially generate additional channels from stereo, then it doesn't matter
how you hook your computer up to your amp, you're still only getting stereo.
You've got to have a multichannel source to get the output.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:04:43 +0100, "Bruce Law"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Cheers. Are there any games that do pump out DD5.1 or DTS? And am I right in
>>presuming I can still connect up the 6 analogue outs of the Audigy to my amp
>>and get surround sound from (most) games.
>>
>>Bruce
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yeah, you're expecting too much of the card. The card itself is not a

>>dolby 5.1
>>> digital encoder, so it won't output a 5.1 digital signal unless the

>>software
>>> generates it. This is why it works with powerDVD and a 5.1 DVD. To get

>>5.1
>>> from games not programmed to generate it, you would need a solution like

>>the
>>> nvidia chips that are built into some motherboards.

>>here

>>amp

>>phono

>>from

>>automatically

>>have

>>arrangement

>>---

Juke

I'm having the same issue with getting 5.1 audio to my amp.
My question becomes, when I run the speaker test and set it to 5.1,
shouldn't the test generate test noise to all the different speakers,
LCR-Rear Left and Rear right?
All I can her is "Front Left", and "Front Right", when testing using CHANNEL
under the speaker settings dialog box. I can never hear "Center", "left
rear" and "right rear" unless I turn on CMSS.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have to look on the box that the game comes in; if it say there's more

than
> two channels, fine; if not, you have to artificially generate the other

channels
> with some other software, on the fly. If you don't have 5.1 to start with

or
> artificially generate additional channels from stereo, then it doesn't

matter
> how you hook your computer up to your amp, you're still only getting

stereo.
> You've got to have a multichannel source to get the output.
>

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:04:43 +0100, "Bruce Law"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >>Cheers. Are there any games that do pump out DD5.1 or DTS? And am I

right in
> >>presuming I can still connect up the 6 analogue outs of the Audigy to my

amp
> >>and get surround sound from (most) games.
> >>
> >>Bruce
> >><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>dolby 5.1
> >>software

get
> >>5.1

like
> >>the

> >>here

my
> >>amp

> >>phono

sound
> >>from

'Speaker

despite
> >>automatically

> >>have
> >>arrangement

card?

> >>---

Bruce Law

Are you using the digital out? If so, the problem is probably to do with
using the correct connector. You need a mono jack to phono lead, rather than
a stereo jack to phono. If you use a mono lead (or jack to phono adapter)
you should hear all your channels.

Bruce
"Juke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having the same issue with getting 5.1 audio to my amp.
> My question becomes, when I run the speaker test and set it to 5.1,
> shouldn't the test generate test noise to all the different speakers,
> LCR-Rear Left and Rear right?
> All I can her is "Front Left", and "Front Right", when testing using

CHANNEL
> under the speaker settings dialog box. I can never hear "Center", "left
> rear" and "right rear" unless I turn on CMSS.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You have to look on the box that the game comes in; if it say there's

more
> than
> > two channels, fine; if not, you have to artificially generate the other

> channels
> > with some other software, on the fly. If you don't have 5.1 to start

with
> or
> > artificially generate additional channels from stereo, then it doesn't

> matter
> > how you hook your computer up to your amp, you're still only getting

> stereo.
> > You've got to have a multichannel source to get the output.

> right in

my
> amp

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> get

> like

naive

> my

> sound

> 'Speaker

> despite

However

> card?

---

Juke

I tried using the mono jack to a coax cable, and I tried using the optical
jack and coax from the front panel (Audigy platinum), with the same results.
Olny left channel and right channel output.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

"Bruce Law" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl6gv7$a6n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you using the digital out? If so, the problem is probably to do with
> using the correct connector. You need a mono jack to phono lead, rather

than
> a stereo jack to phono. If you use a mono lead (or jack to phono adapter)
> you should hear all your channels.
>
> Bruce
> "Juke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm having the same issue with getting 5.1 audio to my amp.
> > My question becomes, when I run the speaker test and set it to 5.1,
> > shouldn't the test generate test noise to all the different speakers,
> > LCR-Rear Left and Rear right?
> > All I can her is "Front Left", and "Front Right", when testing using

> CHANNEL
> > under the speaker settings dialog box. I can never hear "Center", "left
> > rear" and "right rear" unless I turn on CMSS.
> >

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You have to look on the box that the game comes in; if it say there's

> more
> > than
> > > two channels, fine; if not, you have to artificially generate the

other
> > channels
> > > with some other software, on the fly. If you don't have 5.1 to start

> with
> > or
> > > artificially generate additional channels from stereo, then it doesn't

> > matter
> > > how you hook your computer up to your amp, you're still only getting

> > stereo.
> > > You've got to have a multichannel source to get the output.

> > right in

> my
> > amp

> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

not

the

> > get

solution
> > like

> naive

> > my

and

> > sound

> > 'Speaker

> > despite

> However

Audigy
> > card?

04/08/2003

> ---

Bruce Law

I'm a bit stumped, I'm afraid. Just one thing: when you play a DVD on your
PC whilst it's hooked up to your AV amp, does your amp tell you that it's
getting a digital signal and do you get sound from your rear speakers? If
yes, then that implies the problem lies somewhere with the test software or
its settings. As a safe bet, it's probably best to test with the optical
cable.

---