Audigy2 & speakers

Mart

I'm currently using a Creative Audigy but
I'm thinking of upgrading to the Audigy 2.

I only have a two speaker setup so is the
Audigy 2 worth buying? Would there be
any difference in it to the Audigy when
used with just two speakers?

Upon saying that, I may buy the
Inspire 6.1 but I don't have a wall close
enough behind me to hook the rear ones up to.
Do they come with stands so I can just stand
them up a little way behind me?

Thanks for any replies.

Mart.

"I'd rather be no-one
than someone with no-one"

Folk

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:45:46 +0000, Mart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm currently using a Creative Audigy but
>I'm thinking of upgrading to the Audigy 2.
>
>I only have a two speaker setup so is the
>Audigy 2 worth buying? Would there be
>any difference in it to the Audigy when
>used with just two speakers?
>
>Upon saying that, I may buy the
>Inspire 6.1 but I don't have a wall close
>enough behind me to hook the rear ones up to.
>Do they come with stands so I can just stand
>them up a little way behind me?
>
>Thanks for any replies.
>
>Mart.
>
>"I'd rather be no-one
>than someone with no-one"

I have Klipsch 4.1 speakers and do quite a bit of online gaming. All
four satellite speakers are on my desk, but the 'rear' speakers are
positioned to the far right and left and angled slightly away from me,
pointing to a place that would be behind me. You quickly adjust to
recognizing any sound coming from those speakers as coming from
'behind' you. Believe me... the stands would get old, fast.

Lenny

> I'm currently using a Creative Audigy but
> I'm thinking of upgrading to the Audigy 2.

Go for the ZS edition, not regular Audigy2, or else there's virtually no
point in replacing your soundcard. The Audigy2 was widely criticized for
being somewhat LESS of a half-assed product when it was new. Sure, it
features a 24-bit/96kHz DA converter, but it isn't actually used to its full
capacity.

> I only have a two speaker setup so is the
> Audigy 2 worth buying?

You might want to consider new speakers too, or else there would be little
point in it. Also, I would probably not select Creative speakers, as those
are more centered on price rather than performance. Look at Logitech
instead, you don't have to go for the flagship Z-680 speakers (which I now
own, and they totally rock the house might be added, and are ideal for
Audigy2 ZS use as they have both optical and coaxial digital in, as well as
5.1 analog in), but any of the 4.1 or 2.1 speakers featuring the same bass
box as the 680 system will serve you very well (though I of course fail to
see the point of a buying another 2.1 system, hehe). Cheap speaker sets
skimp on many things, including the size and quality of the subwoofer. As
surround systems use rather small satellite speakers that only reproduce
mid-range and treble frequencies, you NEED a good subwoofer to get a full
sound. Small subs often sound flat under the best of circumstances and get
oversaturated easily and thusly distort the sound when trying to reproduce
intense bass, such as during DVD movie playback or games.

> Would there be
> any difference in it to the Audigy when
> used with just two speakers?

I very much doubt there will be any easily noticeable differences. The
Audigy series has superior audio performance (meaning higher sensitivity,
better signal to noise ratio etc), and considerably better EAX reproduction
(sound environment effects in games), but unless you have multiple speakers
this will not show through fully.

> Upon saying that, I may buy the
> Inspire 6.1 but I don't have a wall close
> enough behind me to hook the rear ones up to.

As for speaker placement, I'd suggest a 5.1 setup instead (you don't need
those extra rears) and place the front left and right speakers in front of
you on either side of your monitor some distance apart, and rear speakers
directly on either side of you, preferably an equal distance from your head
of course. I happen to have conveniently located bookshelves I can use for
that, and it saves me from having speaker cables running across the floor to
the rear positions.

> Do they come with stands so I can just stand
> them up a little way behind me?

Probably not. These speakers are pretty low-budget after all.