Audio CD's OK, DVD's not recognized

Molesworth

All,

I have searched the web for weeks for my wifes' Acer.

I used a Registry Cleaner to no avail. The following is my recent
support message to Acer:

Date Created: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
Last Updated: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
Operating System: Windows XP

Hi,

I can play Audio CD's thro iTunes perfectly well, but when I insert a
DVD, I can hear a sporadic whirring, but nothing appears within' My
Computer', nor on the desktop. It simply doesn't 'see' the DVD.

I have searched for a solution on the net, but apart from 'Reinstalling
Software' in the Aspire manager, I have run out of options.

I can't even reinstall as I don't have (and have never had) a password
which is required to carry out this operation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Has anyone else had, and resolved, this problem?

--
Molesworth

A Nother

"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I can play Audio CD's thro iTunes perfectly well, but when I insert a
> DVD, I can hear a sporadic whirring, but nothing appears within' My
> Computer', nor on the desktop. It simply doesn't 'see' the DVD.

Things I would try:

Different player like http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/index.aspx

Delete the DVD drive from the hardware list and reboot, letting Windows find
and reinstall it

A new drive.

(YMMV)

doS

its called needing a new drive.get an Optiarc, works great in the lappys.

"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All,
>
> I have searched the web for weeks for my wifes' Acer.
>
> I used a Registry Cleaner to no avail. The following is my recent
> support message to Acer:

> Date Created: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
> Last Updated: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
> Operating System: Windows XP
>
> Hi,
>
> I can play Audio CD's thro iTunes perfectly well, but when I insert a
> DVD, I can hear a sporadic whirring, but nothing appears within' My
> Computer', nor on the desktop. It simply doesn't 'see' the DVD.
>
> I have searched for a solution on the net, but apart from 'Reinstalling
> Software' in the Aspire manager, I have run out of options.
>
> I can't even reinstall as I don't have (and have never had) a password
> which is required to carry out this operation.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Has anyone else had, and resolved, this problem?
>
> --
> Molesworth

Wandering

Just some thoughts.

Clean the laser lens.

Have you been using DVD's from localizations other than your own? If so, you
may need to update the firmware. You only get a limited number of these
under the licensing stuff they put in these things these days.

Check the Microsoft.Public.Windows groups - they will likely have good
advice for you.

If all else fails you can replace it, but that is no guarantee the
replacement will work till you pin down the problem.

You might uninstall the drivers, and then reboot windows to let it reinstall
them.

Definitely check for the latest drivers for the drive on the Mfg website.

Don't let Window's update supply drivers for your hardware. If it has, try a
rollback.

Good luck.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LFOpj.884$(E-Mail Removed)...
> its called needing a new drive.get an Optiarc, works great in the lappys.
>
> "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> All,
>>
>> I have searched the web for weeks for my wifes' Acer.
>>
>> I used a Registry Cleaner to no avail. The following is my recent
>> support message to Acer:

>> Date Created: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
>> Last Updated: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
>> Operating System: Windows XP
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can play Audio CD's thro iTunes perfectly well, but when I insert a
>> DVD, I can hear a sporadic whirring, but nothing appears within' My
>> Computer', nor on the desktop. It simply doesn't 'see' the DVD.
>>
>> I have searched for a solution on the net, but apart from 'Reinstalling
>> Software' in the Aspire manager, I have run out of options.
>>
>> I can't even reinstall as I don't have (and have never had) a password
>> which is required to carry out this operation.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Has anyone else had, and resolved, this problem?
>>
>> --
>> Molesworth

Molesworth

In article <LFOpj.884$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> its called needing a new drive.get an Optiarc, works great in the lappys.

Thanks for that. Is it a straight swap? Drivers needed?

--
Molesworth

doS

straight swap, no drivers,i replaced 3 of my laptops burners with the
Optiarcs, its a Sony/NEC drive, you'll love it.

"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <LFOpj.884$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> its called needing a new drive.get an Optiarc, works great in the lappys.

> Thanks for that. Is it a straight swap? Drivers needed?
>
> --
> Molesworth

Eugene Maes

here is the driver section for the 3100 on acer:

ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/noteboo...e_3100/driver/

EJM
"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All,
>
> I have searched the web for weeks for my wifes' Acer.
>
> I used a Registry Cleaner to no avail. The following is my recent
> support message to Acer:

> Date Created: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
> Last Updated: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
> Operating System: Windows XP
>
> Hi,
>
> I can play Audio CD's thro iTunes perfectly well, but when I insert a
> DVD, I can hear a sporadic whirring, but nothing appears within' My
> Computer', nor on the desktop. It simply doesn't 'see' the DVD.
>
> I have searched for a solution on the net, but apart from 'Reinstalling
> Software' in the Aspire manager, I have run out of options.
>
> I can't even reinstall as I don't have (and have never had) a password
> which is required to carry out this operation.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Has anyone else had, and resolved, this problem?
>
> --
> Molesworth

doS

so you think that will fix a dead drive?

news:47aa92e4$0$1121$(E-Mail Removed)...