Audio problems, NF7-S

Bernard Burton

I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played using
Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming also
produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the internet via
an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad Hoc
radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and all
the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on the
other PCs.
I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.

As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?
Shoud I reinstall the NVidia Audio drivers? If so, should I uninstall the
old drivers first?

--
Bernard Burton
Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.

Satellite images at:
www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html

JefN

"Bernard Burton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
| reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played using
| Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming
also
| produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
| I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the internet
via
| an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad Hoc
| radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and all
| the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
| Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on the
| other PCs.
| I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
| doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.
|
| As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?
| Shoud I reinstall the NVidia Audio drivers? If so, should I uninstall the
| old drivers first?

Hello Bernard -

Which drivers are you using on the system? The drivers that came on the CD
from Abit or the latest update from nVidia?

While support for Windows 98SE was an afterthought in the development of the
nForce platform, the more recent drivers have addressed many of the issues
with with the onboard audio.

Have a look at version 4.27 of the nForce Unified Drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27

You probably should uninstall everything "nVidia" in Add or Remove Programs
prior to installing this driver pack.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Jef

| --
| Bernard Burton
| Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.
|
| Satellite images at:
| www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bernard Burton says...
> I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
> reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played using
> Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming also
> produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
> I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the internet via
> an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad Hoc
> radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and all
> the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
> Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on the
> other PCs.
> I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
> doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.
>
> As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?

Yep. THe fact you're using Win98 and are sharing IRQs.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Bernard Burton

Bernard Burton
Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.

Satellite images at:
www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html
"JefN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:xcjZd.21637$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> "Bernard Burton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> |I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
> | reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played

using
> | Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming
> also
> | produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
> | I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the internet
> via
> | an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad Hoc
> | radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and

all
> | the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
> | Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on the
> | other PCs.
> | I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
> | doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.
> |
> | As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?
> | Shoud I reinstall the NVidia Audio drivers? If so, should I uninstall

the
> | old drivers first?
> |

> Hello Bernard -
>
> Which drivers are you using on the system? The drivers that came on the

CD
> from Abit or the latest update from nVidia?
>
> While support for Windows 98SE was an afterthought in the development of

the
> nForce platform, the more recent drivers have addressed many of the issues
> with with the onboard audio.
>
> Have a look at version 4.27 of the nForce Unified Drivers:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27
>
> You probably should uninstall everything "nVidia" in Add or Remove

Programs
> prior to installing this driver pack.
>
> Good luck and hope this helps.
>
> Jef
>

> | --
> | Bernard Burton
> | Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.
> |
> | Satellite images at:
> | www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html

Jef,
Thanks for your response.
I am using the Nvidia drivers that came on the ABit CD.
I will try the nForce Unified drivers pack, as you advise.

Regards

| Bernard Burton
> | Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.

Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio

> I am using Win98SE operating system.
This is your first problem.

> As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?

If you absolutely need/want carry on using Win98SE, so get the last nVidia
mobo driver and make a fresh install... but I'd use at least W2k sp4 and get
at least 512Mb of RAM... better hardware control and memory control.

HTH,

--
Pepe
Milano, Italy

Not Bob

If the new drivers don't work you might try this MS hotfix:
http://www1.rm.com/docs/files/pc/q242937.exe I had audio skipping problems
with my NF7-S and Win98SE that this fixed. For information on this hotfix
see here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242937

"Bernard Burton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> --
> Bernard Burton
> Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.
>
> Satellite images at:
> www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html
> "JefN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:xcjZd.21637$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > "Bernard Burton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > |I have recently installed an ABit NF7-S motherboard. I am unable to get
> > | reliable sound reproduction via the onboard audio. Audio CDs played

> using
> > | Win Media Player 9 or 7 produce broken sound. Internet radio streaming
> > also
> > | produces continuous breaks and rebuffering.
> > | I am using Win98SE operating system. The PC is connected to the

internet
> > via
> > | an USB ADSL modem. The PC acts as host to 3 other computers on an Ad

Hoc
> > | radio network. There are no conflicts shown in the systems check, and

> all
> > | the audio drivers are are 'working properly'.
> > | Internet streaming of radio stations works fine over the network on

the
> > | other PCs.
> > | I have installed other media players, but get the same problem, so it
> > | doesn't seem to be associated with WMP9.
> > |
> > | As a relative novice, is there some obvious answer I am overlooking?
> > | Shoud I reinstall the NVidia Audio drivers? If so, should I uninstall

> the
> > | old drivers first?
> > |

> > Hello Bernard -
> >
> > Which drivers are you using on the system? The drivers that came on the

> CD
> > from Abit or the latest update from nVidia?
> >
> > While support for Windows 98SE was an afterthought in the development of

> the
> > nForce platform, the more recent drivers have addressed many of the

issues
> > with with the onboard audio.
> >
> > Have a look at version 4.27 of the nForce Unified Drivers:
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27
> >
> > You probably should uninstall everything "nVidia" in Add or Remove

> Programs
> > prior to installing this driver pack.
> >
> > Good luck and hope this helps.
> >
> > Jef
> >

> > | --
> > | Bernard Burton
> > | Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.
> > |
> > | Satellite images at:
> > | www.btinternet.com/~wokingham.weather/wwp.html
> > |

> Jef,
> Thanks for your response.
> I am using the Nvidia drivers that came on the ABit CD.
> I will try the nForce Unified drivers pack, as you advise.
>
> Regards
>
> | Bernard Burton
> > | Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.

Bernard Burton

Thanks to all of you who replied. Your comments have been most helpful.