To auto negotiate or not to auto negotiate ...

Adrian C

That is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of ... my dodgy wired network chipset?

Got a strange one here.

My Lenovo Thinkpad R61 features an Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network chipset
that barely connects (for 100Mbps Full Duplex) if the 'Link Speed &
Duplex' is set at that implicitly, but leave it at 'Auto Negotiation'
and there is no issue at that speed.

This is completely at /opposite/ to previous NIC & Switch experience
where Auto Negotiation is the thing that dies first, and that setting
has to be made at the required speed to get things working!

Latest Vista drivers, Cables check out fine, and the same occurs wether
the laptop is attached to a switched hub or direct to another computer.

Of course I'll leave it in 'Auto Negotiation', but it's strange? huh?

--
Adrian C