p.mc

Hi
Win xp home

Soundblaster live5.1

I downloaded the auto update thingy on the creative site and was informed
that it couldn't find anything on my system relating to their product. So I
went into the creative folder on my pc, and a log file informed me that it
couldn't find a card and to check that it was seated correctly, so I took it
out reseated it, but the thing is I have always had sound from the pc and I
dont have any other sound card so what does this all mean, surely if the
card wasn't connected properly then there would be no sound at all??

Also the card came pre installed by the manufacturer (OEM) wether this has
eny bearing on the matter??

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

T Shadow

"p.mc" <sigadd1to (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfp1vq$i9n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Win xp home
>
> Soundblaster live5.1
>
> I downloaded the auto update thingy on the creative site and was informed
> that it couldn't find anything on my system relating to their product. So

> went into the creative folder on my pc, and a log file informed me that it
> couldn't find a card and to check that it was seated correctly, so I took

it
> out reseated it, but the thing is I have always had sound from the pc and

> dont have any other sound card so what does this all mean, surely if the
> card wasn't connected properly then there would be no sound at all??
>
> Also the card came pre installed by the manufacturer (OEM) wether this has
> eny bearing on the matter??
>

> --
> Regards
> p.mc
>
> For personal replies please leave or type signature
> "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
> posts will not be received.
> Thanks

I've noticed in the Audigy2 section, some of the downloads will say they can
or can't be used with a Dell. So being a OEM coiuld be the problem. You have
a Creative chip but it may not be a Creative card.

Lenny

> I've noticed in the Audigy2 section, some of the downloads will say they
can
> or can't be used with a Dell. So being a OEM coiuld be the problem. You

have
> a Creative chip but it may not be a Creative card.

Dell is probably the most bothersome manufacturer ever, making other
suppliers create special versions of their cards that typically look
IDENTICAL to all other OEM or retail cards so you can't spot the difference,
except they won't work with standard drivers. This means you're locked to
whatever driver update Dell can be arsed to release (which they typically do
like, once or twice during a computer's lifetime and then you're screwed).

T Shadow

"Lenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8G%Tc.664$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've noticed in the Audigy2 section, some of the downloads will say they

> can
> > or can't be used with a Dell. So being a OEM coiuld be the problem. You

> have
> > a Creative chip but it may not be a Creative card.

> Dell is probably the most bothersome manufacturer ever, making other
> suppliers create special versions of their cards that typically look
> IDENTICAL to all other OEM or retail cards so you can't spot the

difference,
> except they won't work with standard drivers. This means you're locked to
> whatever driver update Dell can be arsed to release (which they typically

do
> like, once or twice during a computer's lifetime and then you're screwed).

It can happen with any OEM card. My first experience was when I bought a
"Yamaha" sound card for cheap at a computer show. The card would work for
10seconds and quit until the drivers were reinstalled. Couldn't find any
replacement drivers or even identify the card. Ended up putting it in the
sh*t can. Cost $10 to discover the difference between chip and card.

p.mc

Hi there

I've just been on the Creative forums site and discovered why I'm having
this problem.
If you have a preinstalled [OEM] Creative Card I think you'll find this
extremely usefull to review,
Looks like we're the forgotten ones........Creative F**ks

http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppor...um.asp?foru=26

--
Regards
p.mc