AV49P/N Bluescreens

kazikmazik

My son recently got this MB on eBay to replace the same MB he was running
which had a broken SATA connector. The first AV49P/N was running perfectly
for almost a year until he wanted to add another SATA drive. After swapping
everything, WinXP booted just fine but shortly thereafter kept giving
bluescreens. He ran memtest and would get errors right away. He put the same
memory sticks in another computer and got no errors after 12 hours. These
were the same memory sticks from the previous AV49P/N. The CPU that came
with the MB was so hard to remove from the socket that one pin of the CPU
pulled out! It was a ground pin so that CPU is still good.When he pulled his
original CPU out of the new MB, it was also very difficult to remove, but
fortunately no broken pins this time. Any ideas what can be wrong with this
board or the CPU socket. The seller won't respond to emails, so I guess
we're stuck with it. He put everything back on the original MB and it's
running perfectly (except for the broken SATA connector).

NewMan

I have this exact same motherboard. I had no problems with it until I
went to do a RAM upgrade.

Of course, I purchased the fastest RAM that the manual said I could
PC3200 - DDR-400!

And immediately I was getting blue screens!

I put the old RAM in, and NO problem. So I went to the web site!

Lo and behold! BIOS UPDATE!

The latest BIOS is:

AV49PS06
Checksum: 46D0H Date: 02/05/2004
1.Audio ID from 1106 4161 to 1297 C405.
2.Support AV49 PCB 1.5
3.Fixed 133 FSB with DDR400 compatibility problem.

Note item #3 here??? As soon as I flashed to this BIOS, the board
worked fine with the DDR400 RAM. I will caution you though, it takes a
LONG time to boot with this BIOS version! So BE PATIENT. The system
takes longer to boot, but it is stable - and that is a good thing!

Here is a lint to the Shuttle web site for the downloads:

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...p?Item=AV49P/N

Did you happen to notice or record the BIOS versions of the two
motherboards you have?

This is about the only thing I think could cause the problem.

Oh, and of course, you let the motherboard determine the RAM speed
timing by itself! If you manually set these settings, then you would
have to make sure that the settings were transfered into the BIOS on
the new motherboard as well.

Let me know how it goes!

hth

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 20:02:45 -0600, "kazikmazik"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My son recently got this MB on eBay to replace the same MB he was running
>which had a broken SATA connector. The first AV49P/N was running perfectly
>for almost a year until he wanted to add another SATA drive. After swapping
>everything, WinXP booted just fine but shortly thereafter kept giving
>bluescreens. He ran memtest and would get errors right away. He put the same
>memory sticks in another computer and got no errors after 12 hours. These
>were the same memory sticks from the previous AV49P/N. The CPU that came
>with the MB was so hard to remove from the socket that one pin of the CPU
>pulled out! It was a ground pin so that CPU is still good.When he pulled his
>original CPU out of the new MB, it was also very difficult to remove, but
>fortunately no broken pins this time. Any ideas what can be wrong with this
>board or the CPU socket. The seller won't respond to emails, so I guess
>we're stuck with it. He put everything back on the original MB and it's
>running perfectly (except for the broken SATA connector).

kazikmazik

I forgot to mention, that was one of the first things I did. Both boards
have the latest BIOS version.

"NewMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have this exact same motherboard. I had no problems with it until I
> went to do a RAM upgrade.
>
> Of course, I purchased the fastest RAM that the manual said I could
> PC3200 - DDR-400!
>
> And immediately I was getting blue screens!
>
> I put the old RAM in, and NO problem. So I went to the web site!
>
> Lo and behold! BIOS UPDATE!
>
> The latest BIOS is:
>

> AV49PS06
> Checksum: 46D0H Date: 02/05/2004
> 1.Audio ID from 1106 4161 to 1297 C405.
> 2.Support AV49 PCB 1.5
> 3.Fixed 133 FSB with DDR400 compatibility problem.
>
> Note item #3 here??? As soon as I flashed to this BIOS, the board
> worked fine with the DDR400 RAM. I will caution you though, it takes a
> LONG time to boot with this BIOS version! So BE PATIENT. The system
> takes longer to boot, but it is stable - and that is a good thing!
>
> Here is a lint to the Shuttle web site for the downloads:
>
> http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...p?Item=AV49P/N
>
> Did you happen to notice or record the BIOS versions of the two
> motherboards you have?
>
> This is about the only thing I think could cause the problem.
>
> Oh, and of course, you let the motherboard determine the RAM speed
> timing by itself! If you manually set these settings, then you would
> have to make sure that the settings were transfered into the BIOS on
> the new motherboard as well.
>
> Let me know how it goes!
>
> hth
>
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 20:02:45 -0600, "kazikmazik"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >My son recently got this MB on eBay to replace the same MB he was running
> >which had a broken SATA connector. The first AV49P/N was running

perfectly
> >for almost a year until he wanted to add another SATA drive. After

swapping
> >everything, WinXP booted just fine but shortly thereafter kept giving
> >bluescreens. He ran memtest and would get errors right away. He put the

same
> >memory sticks in another computer and got no errors after 12 hours. These
> >were the same memory sticks from the previous AV49P/N. The CPU that came
> >with the MB was so hard to remove from the socket that one pin of the CPU
> >pulled out! It was a ground pin so that CPU is still good.When he pulled

his
> >original CPU out of the new MB, it was also very difficult to remove, but
> >fortunately no broken pins this time. Any ideas what can be wrong with

this
> >board or the CPU socket. The seller won't respond to emails, so I guess
> >we're stuck with it. He put everything back on the original MB and it's
> >running perfectly (except for the broken SATA connector).

NewMan

Two possibilities....

Were you aware that there ARE jumpers on this motherboard! It is NOT
"jumperless". JP2 and JP3 must be set either 100M for 400MHz FSB, 133M
for 533 FSB, or 200M for 800MHz FSB!

Download the manual if you need to and look at Page 24, it will give
you the jumper settings. If these are not set correctly, so say 133M
instead of 100M, or 200M instead of 133M, then you are overclocking
your system and this could cause the crashes you are experienceing.

I know, I know.... why the F&ck any motherboard manufacturer EVER puts
critical jumpers on a motherboard these days is BEYOND ME! The only
jumper that is a MUST is the CMOS Reset Jumper. And, as long as that
is in the correct position, then you do NOT need it in everyday
operations!

possiblity #2...

I take it then, that you are running WinXP. So take off the "auto
restart" and let the sucker hang!

We need to see the exact messages regarding th BSOD, the hex code that
it reports, and the exact message.

I had a problem a while back with a couple of computers at work. These
had ASUS boards in them - as most of our computers do! And most of
them had been deployed and stable for YEARS. All of a sudden BSOD
start popping up everywhere! with NO recent changes!

Turns out is was a f&ck-up from Micro$haft! The problems all started
happening after a bunch of "updates". Lo and behold! Within a few
days, during which Micr$haft was likely PEPPEREED with complaints,
another "update" was available. Of course the "update" had nothing
"officially" to do with our problem, but as soon as it was installed
the BSOD problem went away!

Funny coincidence!

In any case, you MUST make sure that you have ALL the latest updates
from the Micro$haft Update site - with the possible exception of the
WGA virus that is!

Let us know how it pans out.

hth

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:24:41 -0600, "kazikmazik"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>> >bluescreens. He ran memtest and would get errors right away. He put the

>same
>> >memory sticks in another computer and got no errors after 12 hours. These
>> >were the same memory sticks from the previous AV49P/N. The CPU that came
>> >with the MB was so hard to remove from the socket that one pin of the CPU
>> >pulled out! It was a ground pin so that CPU is still good.When he pulled

>his
>> >original CPU out of the new MB, it was also very difficult to remove, but
>> >fortunately no broken pins this time. Any ideas what can be wrong with

>this
>> >board or the CPU socket. The seller won't respond to emails, so I guess
>> >we're stuck with it. He put everything back on the original MB and it's
>> >running perfectly (except for the broken SATA connector).

Jumpers were correct since I have the manual. I am running w2k3 server with
the auto update feature off so I don't think that was the problem.
Unfortunately, I did not make a note of what the bluescreens said, and I am
currently running the original board with no problems. I have ordered a SATA
controller card to make up for the busted SATA connector. I'll do a test
setup of the new board eventually once I find some memory and another hard
drive. I'm still wondering about the possibility of the CPU socket as being
the problem. Is there any way to separate the top part of the socket from
the part that is soldered to the board without destroying the socket? I've
never seen a CPU socket that would pull a pin off. Usually undoing the bar
makes the CPU easy to remove. Could there be another pin from a previous CPU
inside there?

> [...]
> >> 2.Support AV49 PCB 1.5
> >> 3.Fixed 133 FSB with DDR400 compatibility problem.
> >>
> >> Note item #3 here??? As soon as I flashed to this BIOS, the board
> >> worked fine with the DDR400 RAM. I will caution you though, it takes a
> >> LONG time to boot with this BIOS version! So BE PATIENT. The system
> >> takes longer to boot, but it is stable - and that is a good thing!
> >>
> >> Here is a lint to the Shuttle web site for the downloads:
> >>
> >> http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...p?Item=AV49P/N
> >>
> >> Did you happen to notice or record the BIOS versions of the two
> >> motherboards you have?
> >>
> >> This is about the only thing I think could cause the problem.
> >>
> >> Oh, and of course, you let the motherboard determine the RAM speed
> >> timing by itself! If you manually set these settings, then you would
> >> have to make sure that the settings were transfered into the BIOS on

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:59:04 -0600, "kazikmazik"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jumpers were correct since I have the manual. I am running w2k3 server with
>the auto update feature off so I don't think that was the problem.
>Unfortunately, I did not make a note of what the bluescreens said, and I am
>currently running the original board with no problems. I have ordered a SATA
>controller card to make up for the busted SATA connector. I'll do a test
>setup of the new board eventually once I find some memory and another hard
>drive. I'm still wondering about the possibility of the CPU socket as being
>the problem. Is there any way to separate the top part of the socket from
>the part that is soldered to the board without destroying the socket?

Not that I know of.

> I've
>never seen a CPU socket that would pull a pin off. Usually undoing the bar
>makes the CPU easy to remove. Could there be another pin from a previous CPU
>inside there?

It is possible. Also, despite the socket being a "zero insertion
force" socket, this does NOT mean that it was ment for repeated
openings and closings. It is possible that the socket had a minor
defect in it from day one. Since MOST people install a CPU, and it
stays there until the day the system is dead, the defect might have
otherwise gone un-noticed. You just got "lucky" (perhaps).

Replacing such a socket is not a repair that should be undertaken
without the correct equipment. NOTE: The "correct" equipment in this
case is worth about $50,000.

You would have better luck replacing the SATA connector.

I am always interested, so please keep us posted on your progress.