AV49P/N support for large disks???

NewMan

I am looking to install a 320GB Seagate disk into my system. The
motherboard is the Shuttle AV49P/N. From what I can tell, WinXP will
not be a problem.

However, I have a multi-boot configuration with the option to boot to
Win98se or WinXP. I was reading notes on the disk drive, and it
cautioned that Win98 did NOT have "native" support for drives larger
than 137 GB.

Is anyone using a drive larger than 137 GB with this motherboard and
running Win98se??? Anything I should know?

jin

NewMan wrote:
> I am looking to install a 320GB Seagate disk into my system. The
> motherboard is the Shuttle AV49P/N. From what I can tell, WinXP will
> not be a problem.
>
> However, I have a multi-boot configuration with the option to boot to
> Win98se or WinXP. I was reading notes on the disk drive, and it
> cautioned that Win98 did NOT have "native" support for drives larger
> than 137 GB.
>
> Is anyone using a drive larger than 137 GB with this motherboard and
> running Win98se??? Anything I should know?

I have the same motherboard and i have installed a 250GB Western
Digital.
Xp can see only 117GB of my HDD but BIOS shows that the capacity is
250GB.
I think that my bios or something needs update but i can't find it.You
see SS51g is a
discontinued product.
My BIOS is Phoenix Award Workstation BIOS v6.00PG

NewMan

On 17 Oct 2006 02:45:20 -0700, "jin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>NewMan wrote:
>> I am looking to install a 320GB Seagate disk into my system. The
>> motherboard is the Shuttle AV49P/N. From what I can tell, WinXP will
>> not be a problem.
>>
>> However, I have a multi-boot configuration with the option to boot to
>> Win98se or WinXP. I was reading notes on the disk drive, and it
>> cautioned that Win98 did NOT have "native" support for drives larger
>> than 137 GB.
>>
>> Is anyone using a drive larger than 137 GB with this motherboard and
>> running Win98se??? Anything I should know?

>I have the same motherboard and i have installed a 250GB Western
>Digital.
>Xp can see only 117GB of my HDD but BIOS shows that the capacity is
>250GB.
>I think that my bios or something needs update but i can't find it.You
>see SS51g is a
>discontinued product.
>My BIOS is Phoenix Award Workstation BIOS v6.00PG

The AV49P/N is a full size ATX motherboard - also been discontinued.

All downloads are available!

SS51G:

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...asp?Item=SS51G

SS51G V2.0

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...m=SS51G%20V2.0

Latest BIOS for your machine is:

FS51SB0L Date:12/02/2003 Checksum:A900

I am already running the latest BIOS on my AV49P/N since I upgraded to
PC3200 RAM, and that BIOS fixes a timing problem with PC3200 RAM!

UPDATE:

I did a test with a 160GB disk and Win98se. On the test machine I used
at work, Win98se had NO PROBLEM receognizing the full size of the
drive. Drive was a Seagate ST3160023A.

I have done a physical install of a Seaget 250GB drive in my home
machine with the AV49P/N in it, and the BIOS had NO PROBLEM
recoginzing the full size of the drive.

At the moment, I am in the process of migrating multiple partitions
and O/S from my old drives to the new drive.

I will post an update as to the progress in a few days.

NewMan

UPDATE:

No problem installing the big drive for WinXP. Win98se OTOH was not
that sucessful. It seems the VIA drivers for Win98se do NOT support 48
bit LBA and therefore the larger drives.

The GigaByte motherboards I have at work have INTEL 800 series
chipsets in them, and the installation of the Intel Application
Accelerator has allowed the larger dirves to work in those machines.

Unfortunately, the AV49P/N has VIA chips, and unless someone can point
me to an enhanced driver for them, my Win98se O/S will not be able to
see anything above 137GB on the new drive.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:03:47 -0700, NewMan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 17 Oct 2006 02:45:20 -0700, "jin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>NewMan wrote:
>>> I am looking to install a 320GB Seagate disk into my system. The
>>> motherboard is the Shuttle AV49P/N. From what I can tell, WinXP will
>>> not be a problem.
>>>
>>> However, I have a multi-boot configuration with the option to boot to
>>> Win98se or WinXP. I was reading notes on the disk drive, and it
>>> cautioned that Win98 did NOT have "native" support for drives larger
>>> than 137 GB.
>>>
>>> Is anyone using a drive larger than 137 GB with this motherboard and
>>> running Win98se??? Anything I should know?

>>I have the same motherboard and i have installed a 250GB Western
>>Digital.
>>Xp can see only 117GB of my HDD but BIOS shows that the capacity is
>>250GB.
>>I think that my bios or something needs update but i can't find it.You
>>see SS51g is a
>>discontinued product.
>>My BIOS is Phoenix Award Workstation BIOS v6.00PG

>The AV49P/N is a full size ATX motherboard - also been discontinued.
>
>All downloads are available!
>
>SS51G:
>
>http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...asp?Item=SS51G
>
>SS51G V2.0
>
>http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...m=SS51G%20V2.0
>
>Latest BIOS for your machine is:
>
>FS51SB0L Date:12/02/2003 Checksum:A900
>
>I am already running the latest BIOS on my AV49P/N since I upgraded to
>PC3200 RAM, and that BIOS fixes a timing problem with PC3200 RAM!
>

>UPDATE:
>
>I did a test with a 160GB disk and Win98se. On the test machine I used
>at work, Win98se had NO PROBLEM receognizing the full size of the
>drive. Drive was a Seagate ST3160023A.
>
>I have done a physical install of a Seaget 250GB drive in my home
>machine with the AV49P/N in it, and the BIOS had NO PROBLEM
>recoginzing the full size of the drive.
>
>At the moment, I am in the process of migrating multiple partitions
>and O/S from my old drives to the new drive.
>
>I will post an update as to the progress in a few days.

NewMan

ANOTHER UPDATE!

I have located a patched driver file for Win98se that DOES allow 48
Bit LBA!

I downloaded it and installed it in my Win98se O/S, and now Win98se
has NO PROBLEM seeing ALL of the partitions on my 250GB Seagate!

Here is the link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=78592

I downloaded the file: 4102226F.ZIP

This contains a patched version of the file:

esdi_506.pdr

copy the file to the Win98se partition, and then go to DOS mode.

Go to the directory

c:\windows\iosubsys

rename esdi_506.pdr to esdi_506.sav (just in case!)

and then copy the NEW esdi_506.pdr to that directory.

Then reboot! That is all there was to it!