AV8 3rd EYE and SATA-300 problem

Floffer Poffer

I have a Abit AV8 3rd EYE mobo that has a SATA-150 controller.
I have now bought a Seagate SATA-300 disk and connected it.
Enabled the controller in the bios, updated the bios to ver 27.
I can install the driver in XP but just get the:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
And it isn't using any resources because it can't start.

Driver ver is 5.1.2600.530 from VIA.

When I boot - winXP just hangs for a few more seconds than normal.
It doesn't seem there is a jumper setting to force it to run in
SATA-150 mode.

Has mail abit support but heard nothing in like a month
Any1 that has a bright idea?

John Lewis

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:24:08 +0200, Floffer Poffer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Abit AV8 3rd EYE mobo that has a SATA-150 controller.
>I have now bought a Seagate SATA-300 disk and connected it.
>Enabled the controller in the bios, updated the bios to ver 27.
>I can install the driver in XP but just get the:
> This device cannot start. (Code 10)
>And it isn't using any resources because it can't start.
>
>Driver ver is 5.1.2600.530 from VIA.
>
>When I boot - winXP just hangs for a few more seconds than normal.
>It doesn't seem there is a jumper setting to force it to run in
>SATA-150 mode.
>
>Has mail abit support but heard nothing in like a month
>Any1 that has a bright idea?

If the SATA300 disk does not have a SATA150 setting, you are out of
luck. Have you checked with the Seagate web-site for any FAQs on the
subject for your specific disk ?

Likely solutions are to return the disk or get a new motherboard that
supports SATA-300, or add a PCI-based SATA-300-compatible controller.
Some SATA300 disks such as the Hitachi series, are shipped as SATA150
and can be upgraded via a DOS-utility to SATA300, with a warning in
large type that the controller had better support SATA300 as well as
SATA150 --- as having upgraded to SATA300 the only way to back it down
to SATA150 is to put it on a SATA300-compatible controller.

John Lewis

Bird JanitorŪ

Floffer Poffer wrote:

| I have a Abit AV8 3rd EYE mobo that has a SATA-150
| controller. I have now bought a Seagate SATA-300 disk
| and connected it. Enabled the controller in the bios,
| updated the bios to ver 27. I can install the driver in XP
| but just get the: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
| And it isn't using any resources because it can't start.
|
| Driver ver is 5.1.2600.530 from VIA.
|
| When I boot - winXP just hangs for a few more seconds than
| normal. It doesn't seem there is a jumper setting to force it
| to run in SATA-150 mode.
|
| Has mail abit support but heard nothing in like a month
| Any1 that has a bright idea?

Seagate does have a jumper block on the back of their SATA300 disks. It's
labeled for factory use only.

The first two pins (adjacent to the edge of the drive), when jumpered, will
force the drive to the SATA150 specification on controllers that don't
properly auto-negotiate.

See http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...sata_lock.html for more
information.

Jef

Floffer Poffer

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:12:03 GMT, "Bird JanitorŪ"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>See http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...sata_lock.html for more
>information.

TY
Worked like a charm

AV8 3rd eye audio problem Gary and Sue Abit 1 12-27-2005 03:20 PM
AV8 3rd EYE AV8 20 bios Bill Abit 0 05-12-2005 08:44 PM
AV8 3rd Eye and Venice Core Cpu Ryan Hutchinson Abit 0 04-29-2005 04:12 AM
AV8 vs AV8 3rd eye Jeff Smith Abit 2 01-08-2005 09:11 PM
AV8 3rd eye - shutdown problem Rhino Abit 0 12-19-2004 02:08 PM