AV8 - BIOS checksum error

Dale

I'm putting together a spare system from 'older' parts. Using AV8 & Athlon
64 4000+.

After putting the system together, I cleared the BIOS & during reboot get
error: checksum, loading defaults. Press F1 to continue. I do & the boot
continues. I reboot, enter BIOS setup & set boot device, device boot order,
etc.. Press F10 to save - the system fails to reboot giving 'klaxon' like
sound (long high pitch, short low pitch). Post code showing in LED is 9.0.
Power off & restart - same stuff. Clearing the BIOS just repeats the above
sequence. Hoping against hope, I did flash the BIOS to 2.7, cleared it,
restarted. Same sequence as above after the flash.

Any ideas as to likely problem? BIOS chip? Battery? motherboard? processor?

Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions.

--
Dale Sampson
http://www.dalesplace.net

Bird JanitorŪ

Dale wrote:

| I'm putting together a spare system from 'older' parts. Using AV8 &
| Athlon 64 4000+.
|
| After putting the system together, I cleared the BIOS & during reboot
| get error: checksum, loading defaults. Press F1 to continue. I do & the
| boot continues. I reboot, enter BIOS setup & set boot device, device boot
| order, etc.. Press F10 to save - the system fails to reboot giving
'klaxon'
| like sound (long high pitch, short low pitch). Post code showing in LED is
| 9.0. Power off & restart - same stuff. Clearing the BIOS just repeats
the
| above sequence. Hoping against hope, I did flash the BIOS to 2.7, cleared
| it, restarted. Same sequence as above after the flash.
|
| Any ideas as to likely problem? BIOS chip? Battery? motherboard?
| processor?
|
| Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions.

Hi Dale -

You're getting the CMOS Checksum Error because, after clearing the CMOS,
you're running at Failsafe Defaults (which is a default lower FSB, out of
spec for your processor and, hence, the error message).

When you go into the setup screens, the first option you should choose is
Load Failsafe Defaults .. then make other settings and F10 to Save and Exit.

However, your high-low siren is generally caused by one of two things: out
of specification voltages or overheating.

Out of specification voltages can usually be traced back to an inadequate
(undersized) or poor quality PSU. Please help us here and tell us your
complete system specs, inclusive of who makes your PSU, it's maximum rated
wattage and the amperage ratings on the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails (don't
care about the negative rails as no current system makes use of them).

Overheating often occurs as a result of improperly seated HSF or improper
application of thermal conductive material. You want a thin, even coat of
thermal compound on the CPU die (use a single-edge razor to spread it
evenly).

You are able to POST at Failsafe Defaults because you're running at a lower
FSB, which makes lower demands on the CPU and PSU. When you attempt to run
at the default for your CPU and RAM you generate more heat on your CPU and
make greater demands on the PSU.

Jef

Dale

Jef,

System specs:
PS - XION 450 (came with the case)
3.3=20A 5=45A 12V1=16A Measure V's 12=11.88 5=5.09
MB Abit AV8
CPU Athlon 64-4000+
MEM Corsair XMS 3200 - 512MB
PNY GeForce 5700 LE - 128MB
WD - 200MB SATA X2
Samsung writemaster DVDRW
generic floppy

FSB & Memory - 200MHz & By SPD
Voltages - default

Mguru temps CPU=31 SYS=26 PWM=31
I did notice in Mguru Voltages that NB varies 1.52-1.56 (other voltages
steady) while in setup

I also tried an Antec true power 550W (4 years old) - it will not run this
MB/CPU combo at all: on power up, cpu fan begins to turn & system
immediately shuts down (< 1 sec).

Your thinking it's probably a PS problem? I can pick up another PS & try
that - I'll post back results.

Thank you,
Dale

"Bird JanitorŪ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:AowOh.12016$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Dale wrote:
> |
> | I'm putting together a spare system from 'older' parts. Using AV8 &
> | Athlon 64 4000+.
> |
> | After putting the system together, I cleared the BIOS & during reboot
> | get error: checksum, loading defaults. Press F1 to continue. I do & the
> | boot continues. I reboot, enter BIOS setup & set boot device, device
> boot
> | order, etc.. Press F10 to save - the system fails to reboot giving
> 'klaxon'
> | like sound (long high pitch, short low pitch). Post code showing in LED
> is
> | 9.0. Power off & restart - same stuff. Clearing the BIOS just repeats
> the
> | above sequence. Hoping against hope, I did flash the BIOS to 2.7,
> cleared
> | it, restarted. Same sequence as above after the flash.
> |
> | Any ideas as to likely problem? BIOS chip? Battery? motherboard?
> | processor?
> |
> | Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions.
> |

> Hi Dale -
>
> You're getting the CMOS Checksum Error because, after clearing the CMOS,
> you're running at Failsafe Defaults (which is a default lower FSB, out of
> spec for your processor and, hence, the error message).
>
> When you go into the setup screens, the first option you should choose is
> Load Failsafe Defaults .. then make other settings and F10 to Save and
> Exit.
>
> However, your high-low siren is generally caused by one of two things: out
> of specification voltages or overheating.
>
> Out of specification voltages can usually be traced back to an inadequate
> (undersized) or poor quality PSU. Please help us here and tell us your
> complete system specs, inclusive of who makes your PSU, it's maximum rated
> wattage and the amperage ratings on the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails (don't
> care about the negative rails as no current system makes use of them).
>
> Overheating often occurs as a result of improperly seated HSF or improper
> application of thermal conductive material. You want a thin, even coat of
> thermal compound on the CPU die (use a single-edge razor to spread it
> evenly).
>
> You are able to POST at Failsafe Defaults because you're running at a
> lower
> FSB, which makes lower demands on the CPU and PSU. When you attempt to
> run
> at the default for your CPU and RAM you generate more heat on your CPU and
> make greater demands on the PSU.
>
> Jef

Bird JanitorŪ

Dale wrote:

| Jef,
|
| System specs:
| PS - XION 450 (came with the case)
| 3.3=20A 5=45A 12V1=16A Measure V's 12=11.88 5=5.09
| MB Abit AV8
| CPU Athlon 64-4000+
| MEM Corsair XMS 3200 - 512MB
| PNY GeForce 5700 LE - 128MB
| WD - 200MB SATA X2
| Samsung writemaster DVDRW
| generic floppy
|
| FSB & Memory - 200MHz & By SPD
| Voltages - default
|
| Mguru temps CPU=31 SYS=26 PWM=31
| I did notice in Mguru Voltages that NB varies 1.52-1.56 (other
| voltages steady) while in setup
|
| I also tried an Antec true power 550W (4 years old) - it will not
| run this MB/CPU combo at all: on power up, cpu fan begins to
| turn & system immediately shuts down (< 1 sec).
|
| Your thinking it's probably a PS problem? I can pick up another
| PS & try that - I'll post back results.
|
| Thank you,
| Dale

Hi Dale -

Your temps are indicative that you're not overheating. That would leave the
high-low siren explained by out of specification voltages (your ability to
start at Failsafe kind of lends support to this as well).

Came with the case power supplies are generally of very inferior quality ..
best suited for holding the door open .. and Antec has for a few years been
suspect with regard to quality (were once one of the leaders and now ..
not).

You might try bumping the CPU voltage up .1v in the setup to see if that
helps you achieve a stable-running system. Might want to do the same with
the RAM voltage. Otherwise, I'd go the route of a replacement PSU, seeking
out a brand name model perhaps in the range of 500w (save for Antec these
days). Keep the receipt and return if it doesn't pan out.

Jef

Dale

Jef,

Good call, thank you! I replaced the PS with a CompUSA (yeah, I know -
store going out of business, that's all they had!) 500W & got the system to
boot. However, this generic PS has no SATA connectors. I tried PATA > SATA
connector & the drives wouldn't spin up (they use the 3.3v for
omething?) - ARG!!!! As much as I didn't want to, I picked up an Antec
430 - 5=20A 3.3=20A 12V1=19A 12V2=19A. The system boots OK with this PS &
the SATA drives spun up. Progress.

Now however, it doesn't seem to recognize the SATA drives. They are Caviar
200 SE (WD200JS - 300MB/s). (?? should I jumper them as 150MB/s devices ??)
I'm using the WD supplied data cables instead of the AV8 cables (?? make any
difference ??). I tried both SATA ROM enable & disabled, I tried Boot
device SATA RAID & other PCI device. During post, only the IDE DVD drive
shows. ?? shouldn't the disks show up somewhere during the post screen ??
Booting into DOS, Fdisk says no HD present, as does the WD data-guard
utility.

I feel like I'm missing something very basic here. This is the first time
I've used SATA drives (been sticking to IDE & SCSI for other systems) & am
feeling very dense about this.

What I'd like to do: configure the 2 drives as RAID 0 array & have that be
the boot device.

Thoughts? Suggestion? Links to web pages / documentation that would help me
feel less stupid? Any / all appreciated!

TIA,
Dale

"Bird JanitorŪ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:HEWOh.10247$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Dale wrote:
> |
> | Jef,
> |
> | System specs:
> | PS - XION 450 (came with the case)
> | 3.3=20A 5=45A 12V1=16A Measure V's 12=11.88 5=5.09
> | MB Abit AV8
> | CPU Athlon 64-4000+
> | MEM Corsair XMS 3200 - 512MB
> | PNY GeForce 5700 LE - 128MB
> | WD - 200MB SATA X 2
> | Samsung writemaster DVDRW
> | generic floppy
> |
> | FSB & Memory - 200MHz & By SPD
> | Voltages - default
> |
> | Mguru temps CPU=31 SYS=26 PWM=31
> | I did notice in Mguru Voltages that NB varies 1.52-1.56 (other
> | voltages steady) while in setup
> |
> | I also tried an Antec true power 550W (4 years old) - it will not
> | run this MB/CPU combo at all: on power up, cpu fan begins to
> | turn & system immediately shuts down (< 1 sec).
> |
> | Your thinking it's probably a PS problem? I can pick up another
> | PS & try that - I'll post back results.
> |
> | Thank you,
> | Dale
> |

> Hi Dale -
>
> Your temps are indicative that you're not overheating. That would leave
> the
> high-low siren explained by out of specification voltages (your ability to
> start at Failsafe kind of lends support to this as well).
>
> Came with the case power supplies are generally of very inferior quality
> ..
> best suited for holding the door open .. and Antec has for a few years
> been
> suspect with regard to quality (were once one of the leaders and now ..
> not).
>
> You might try bumping the CPU voltage up .1v in the setup to see if that
> helps you achieve a stable-running system. Might want to do the same with
> the RAM voltage. Otherwise, I'd go the route of a replacement PSU,
> seeking
> out a brand name model perhaps in the range of 500w (save for Antec these
> days). Keep the receipt and return if it doesn't pan out.
>
> Jef

Dale

Jef,

Again, thank you for all your help!

I did figure it out - SATA drives needed to be configured as 150MB/s
devices - setup was then straight forward.

Best regards,
Dale

"Dale" <dale@dalesplace_nospam.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> [...]
>> high-low siren explained by out of specification voltages (your ability
>> start at Failsafe kind of lends support to this as well).
>>
>> Came with the case power supplies are generally of very inferior quality
>> ..
>> best suited for holding the door open .. and Antec has for a few years
>> been
>> suspect with regard to quality (were once one of the leaders and now ..
>> not).
>>
>> You might try bumping the CPU voltage up .1v in the setup to see if that
>> helps you achieve a stable-running system. Might want to do the same
>> with
>> the RAM voltage. Otherwise, I'd go the route of a replacement PSU,
>> seeking
>> out a brand name model perhaps in the range of 500w (save for Antec these
>> days). Keep the receipt and return if it doesn't pan out.

Bird JanitorŪ

Dale wrote:

| Jef,
|
| Again, thank you for all your help!
|
| I did figure it out - SATA drives needed to be configured as
| 150MB/s devices - setup was then straight forward.
|
| Best regards,
| Dale

Coolness! Glad I was able to help where I could.

Jef

Eric Parker

"Bird JanitorŪ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:HEWOh.10247$(E-Mail Removed) et...
<snip>

> Came with the case power supplies are generally of very inferior
> quality ..
> best suited for holding the door open .. and Antec has for a few
> years been
> suspect with regard to quality (were once one of the leaders and now
> ..
> not).

Jef

I'm interested about your experiences with Antec PSU supplied with
cases.
18 months ago I built 4 machines with Antec TX640B cases, which
included
400 watt PSUs.
3 out 4 of these have blown the PSU and taken the motherboards + disks
with
them. The fourth had its PSU replaced as a safety measure.
This is too much of a coincidence.
I have complained to Antec asking for their opinion on this.
The silence is deafening.

I thought when I bought the Antec cases I had bought quality.
Alas no.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Bird JanitorŪ

Eric Parker wrote:

| Jef
|
| I'm interested about your experiences with Antec PSU supplied
| with cases. 18 months ago I built 4 machines with Antec TX640B
| cases, which included 400 watt PSUs. 3 out 4 of these have
| blown the PSU and taken the motherboards + disks with them.
| The fourth had its PSU replaced as a safety measure. This is
| too much of a coincidence. I have complained to Antec asking
| for their opinion on this. The silence is deafening.
|
| I thought when I bought the Antec cases I had bought quality.
| Alas no.
|
| Eric

Hi Eric -

Unfortunately yours is about the same experience as mine .. with both PSUs
supplied with the case and as stand-alone units.

If you browse around at the Abit forum (http://forum.abit-usa.com) you'll
find that the experience has pretty much been universal the last few years.

I'm not aware of the reasons that Antec has fallen from their once quality
build, but my own experience and those of many others seems to indicate that
they've fallen and cannot get up.

Jef

Junior Member

The two-tone siren, code 90 can also be caused by you recently changed memory configuration. ABIT should tell people about that, to save grief checking power-supply, temperature etc. .. that has nothing to do with the problem.
Solution: simply reset (clear) your CMOS

Award Boot Block Bios v1.0, BIOS rom checksum error Flip Gigabyte 2 01-16-2006 09:46 AM
AV8 3rd EYE AV8 20 bios Bill Abit 0 05-12-2005 08:44 PM
AV8 vs AV8 3rd eye Jeff Smith Abit 2 01-08-2005 09:11 PM
A7N8X-X BIOS ROM checksum error Mads Hansen Asus 3 07-26-2004 06:34 AM
BIOS checksum error, why? Alice in Chains Abit 1 10-08-2003 12:05 AM