av8 boot up msg

MikeG

winxp 2, av8 3rd i, 2 hdd connected via sata, drive 0 =OS, drive 1 = data.
changed bios from v20 to v27 and noticed a new message an option to boot
from drive 0 or drive 1?? First time I seen this. Went back to v20 for a
test, now it was there also. Was never there previously. Now back to v27,
can I set this to turn this message off in bios or ??? TIA

Bird JanitorŪ

MikeG wrote:

| winxp 2, av8 3rd i, 2 hdd connected via sata, drive 0 =OS, drive 1 =
| data. changed bios from v20 to v27 and noticed a new message an
| option to boot from drive 0 or drive 1?? First time I seen this. Went
| back to v20 for a test, now it was there also. Was never there
previously.
| Now back to v27, can I set this to turn this message off in bios or ???
| TIA

Hi Mike -

After flashing your BIOS, did you shut down, remove power from the PSU and
manually clear your CMOS (via the CCMOS1 jumper on pins 2 and 3 for a few
moments) then start back up and reenter all your BIOS settings?

If not, probably your best bet. When reentering all your settings, start
with Load Optimized Defaults. Then visit your 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot devices
and Hard Disk Boot Priority (press Enter at this item to select the disk you
wish to boot from) and, finally, enter the rest of your BIOS customizations.

Jef

MikeG

Yes I did clear the CMOS (with the jumper for > 1 minute), once when I did
it via DOS, and the second time when I used "flashmenu" which is supposed to
be automatic. Tried both ways = same result. In visiting the boot
devices, I have put the HDD first, cdrom second and floppy third. When I
select HDD first, there is no sub menu to select drive 0 or 1. I don't know
enough about it for sure, but I suspect it has something to do with the
"raid" configuration. Thanks for you info!!

"Bird JanitorŪ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:55P%g.16$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MikeG wrote:
> |
> | winxp 2, av8 3rd i, 2 hdd connected via sata, drive 0 =OS, drive 1 =
> | data. changed bios from v20 to v27 and noticed a new message an
> | option to boot from drive 0 or drive 1?? First time I seen this. Went
> | back to v20 for a test, now it was there also. Was never there
> previously.
> | Now back to v27, can I set this to turn this message off in bios or ???
> | TIA
> |

> Hi Mike -
>
> After flashing your BIOS, did you shut down, remove power from the PSU and
> manually clear your CMOS (via the CCMOS1 jumper on pins 2 and 3 for a few
> moments) then start back up and reenter all your BIOS settings?
>
> If not, probably your best bet. When reentering all your settings, start
> with Load Optimized Defaults. Then visit your 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot
> devices
> and Hard Disk Boot Priority (press Enter at this item to select the disk
> you
> wish to boot from) and, finally, enter the rest of your BIOS
> customizations.
>
> Jef

Bird JanitorŪ

MikeG wrote:

| Yes I did clear the CMOS (with the jumper for > 1 minute), once when
| I did it via DOS, and the second time when I used "flashmenu" which
| is supposed to be automatic. Tried both ways = same result. In
| visiting the boot devices, I have put the HDD first, cdrom second and
| floppy third. When I select HDD first, there is no sub menu to select
| drive 0 or 1. I don't know enough about it for sure, but I suspect it
| has something to do with the "raid" configuration. Thanks for you info!!

Mike -

Let's go a little further back and flesh in a few more details since I'm not
making sense to you.

I'm assuming you don't have a RAID defined, because you say that drive 0 has
your OS and drive 1 has data.

That said, you need to fully set up your CMOS because it's been set to
failsafe defaults by the flash.

Start by choosing Load Optimized Defaults. This will set your FSB and
multiplier properly for your CPU and set your RAM based on its SPD data.

Next go to Integrated Peripherals | OnChip IDE Device sub-menu.

SATA RAID ROM should be Enabled (you're booting from the SATA controller ..
not you have a RAID configured).

Enable the IDE-1/IDE-2 controllers according to your use of them.

Go to Advanced BIOS Features menu.

Press Enter at the Hard Disk Boot Priority menu item. You should see both
of your hard disks listed here. Choose the one where your OS disk is
connected.

For Bootable Add-In Device choose OnChip SATA RAID (this is your onboard
SATA controller).

Set your 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot devices according to your needs.

Finally, make any other customizations to the setup screens, according to
your use of the system and the integrated hardware.

When done press F10 to Save and Exit the setup screens.

Allow the system to reboot and proceed to the POST. When you get the SATA
RAID BIOS screen (after the main POST screen) don't do anything. Allow the
system to proceed to boot into Windows. If all is set like it was when your
system was originally configured you should boot right up.

Jef

MikeG

ok...let me print out your suggestions and will be back with you tomorrow
(assuming it goes ok) )

"Bird JanitorŪ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%oT%g.23818$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> MikeG wrote:
> |
> | Yes I did clear the CMOS (with the jumper for > 1 minute), once when
> | I did it via DOS, and the second time when I used "flashmenu" which
> | is supposed to be automatic. Tried both ways = same result. In
> | visiting the boot devices, I have put the HDD first, cdrom second and
> | floppy third. When I select HDD first, there is no sub menu to select
> | drive 0 or 1. I don't know enough about it for sure, but I suspect it
> | has something to do with the "raid" configuration. Thanks for you
> info!!
> |

> Mike -
>
> Let's go a little further back and flesh in a few more details since I'm
> not
> making sense to you.
>
> I'm assuming you don't have a RAID defined, because you say that drive 0
> has
> your OS and drive 1 has data.
>
> That said, you need to fully set up your CMOS because it's been set to
> failsafe defaults by the flash.
>
> Start by choosing Load Optimized Defaults. This will set your FSB and
> multiplier properly for your CPU and set your RAM based on its SPD data.
>
> Next go to Integrated Peripherals | OnChip IDE Device sub-menu.
>
> SATA RAID ROM should be Enabled (you're booting from the SATA controller
> ..
> not you have a RAID configured).
>
> Enable the IDE-1/IDE-2 controllers according to your use of them.
>
> Go to Advanced BIOS Features menu.
>
> Press Enter at the Hard Disk Boot Priority menu item. You should see both
> of your hard disks listed here. Choose the one where your OS disk is
> connected.
>
> For Bootable Add-In Device choose OnChip SATA RAID (this is your onboard
> SATA controller).
>
> Set your 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot devices according to your needs.
>
> Finally, make any other customizations to the setup screens, according to
> your use of the system and the integrated hardware.
>
> When done press F10 to Save and Exit the setup screens.
>
> Allow the system to reboot and proceed to the POST. When you get the SATA
> RAID BIOS screen (after the main POST screen) don't do anything. Allow
> the
> system to proceed to boot into Windows. If all is set like it was when
> your
> system was originally configured you should boot right up.
>
> Jef

MikeG

Completed your list and everything was set as you suggested with one
exception:

At the "Press Enter at the Hard Disk Boot Priority menu item" and after
pressing "enter" my HDD's are not listed. What was there was 1. Bootable
Add-in cards.

>> Mike -
>>
>> Let's go a little further back and flesh in a few more details since I'm
>> not making sense to you.
>>
>> I'm assuming you don't have a RAID defined, because you say that drive 0
>> has your OS and drive 1 has data.
>>
>> That said, you need to fully set up your CMOS because it's been set to
>> failsafe defaults by the flash.
>>
>> Start by choosing Load Optimized Defaults. This will set your FSB and
>> multiplier properly for your CPU and set your RAM based on its SPD data.
>>
>> Next go to Integrated Peripherals | OnChip IDE Device sub-menu.
>>
>> SATA RAID ROM should be Enabled (you're booting from the SATA controller
>> not you have a RAID configured).
>>
>> Enable the IDE-1/IDE-2 controllers according to your use of them.
>>
>> Go to Advanced BIOS Features menu.
>>
>> Press Enter at the Hard Disk Boot Priority menu item. You should see
>> both of your hard disks listed here. Choose the one where your OS disk
>> is
>> connected.
>>
>> For Bootable Add-In Device choose OnChip SATA RAID (this is your onboard
>> SATA controller).
>>
>> Set your 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot devices according to your needs.
>>
>> Finally, make any other customizations to the setup screens, according to
>> your use of the system and the integrated hardware.
>>
>> When done press F10 to Save and Exit the setup screens.
>>
>> Allow the system to reboot and proceed to the POST. When you get the
>> SATA RAID BIOS screen (after the main POST screen) don't do anything.
>> Allow
>> the system to proceed to boot into Windows. If all is set like it was
>> when
>> your system was originally configured you should boot right up.
>>
>> Jef

Bird JanitorŪ

MikeG wrote:

| Completed your list and everything was set as you suggested with
| one exception:
|
| At the "Press Enter at the Hard Disk Boot Priority menu item" and
| after pressing "enter" my HDD's are not listed. What was there was 1.
| Bootable Add-in cards.

Mike -

Humor me. Clear your CMOS again with the CCMOS1 jumper (of course, power
removed from the PSU in advance of this).

This time, go into the CMOS setup screens and choose Load Optimized
Defaults. Then visit the Hard Disk Boot Priority item in the Advanced BIOS
Features menu. Do your hard disks show up now? If so, choose the disk with
your OS and press F10 to Save and Exit Setup.

Make no other changes from the Optimized Defaults for this test.

Jef

MikeG

Jef...thanks for hanging in there with me. Did as you suggested (twice to
make sure), jumpered the clear CMOS pins for at least 1 minute, Re-booted to
BIOS, chose Load Optimized Defaults,(Y) went to HD Boot priority in the
advanced BIOS Features menu, (enter), only thing there was 1. Bootable
Add-In cards. Made no other changes.

"Bird JanitorŪ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:vXc0h.22215$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> MikeG wrote:
> |
> | Completed your list and everything was set as you suggested with
> | one exception:
> |
> | At the "Press Enter at the Hard Disk Boot Priority menu item" and
> | after pressing "enter" my HDD's are not listed. What was there was 1.
> | Bootable Add-in cards.
> |

> Mike -
>
> Humor me. Clear your CMOS again with the CCMOS1 jumper (of course, power
> removed from the PSU in advance of this).
>
> This time, go into the CMOS setup screens and choose Load Optimized
> Defaults. Then visit the Hard Disk Boot Priority item in the Advanced
> BIOS
> Features menu. Do your hard disks show up now? If so, choose the disk
> with
> your OS and press F10 to Save and Exit Setup.
>
> Make no other changes from the Optimized Defaults for this test.
>
> Jef

Bird JanitorŪ

MikeG wrote:

| Jef...thanks for hanging in there with me. Did as you suggested (twice
| to make sure), jumpered the clear CMOS pins for at least 1 minute, Re-
| booted to BIOS, chose Load Optimized Defaults,(Y) went to HD Boot
| priority in the advanced BIOS Features menu, (enter), only thing there
| was 1. Bootable Add-In cards. Made no other changes.

Mike -

Is the next item down from Hard Disk Boot Priority, Bootable Add-In Device,
set to OnChip SATA RAID? This is your onboard SATA controller.

Jef

Bird JanitorŪ

Mike -

You may also wish to visit Abit's forum at http://forum.abit-usa.com ..
register a user name and post to the page devoted to your motherboard.

Abit's forum seems to get a lot more traffic than this newsgroup these days.

Jef

ABIT IP35 Pro - disc boot sector is to be modified - warning msg ? august Abit 1 08-30-2007 10:11 PM
AV8 3rd EYE AV8 20 bios Bill Abit 0 05-12-2005 08:44 PM
Reboot and select proper boot device error msg ?? Ralph2 Asus 6 04-14-2005 01:42 PM
AV8 vs AV8 3rd eye Jeff Smith Abit 2 01-08-2005 09:11 PM
Boot Up Msg- A7N8X Deluxe Warren Asus 2 10-19-2003 10:27 PM