Award Bios for Epox Board Needs Re-Flashing But...

Sm66ca

Attention Experts:

I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went horribly wrong
when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the "floppy" fix by
placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file with the
suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm guessing
my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been activated.
The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher dialogue box
but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The keyboard
is inoperative (tried several).

I'm stuck and require the advice/service of an expert which I will gladly pay
for.

The board is as I say, an Epox: Model# ep-8rda3+ (revision 1.x)
(I'm told most all Asus boards are universal flashers)

Michael
(E-Mail Removed)

DaveL

You could contact Epox and ask them to send you a new bios chip (I did this
before with Shuttle. They charged me $10). You would need to get a chip
puller from Radio Shack. There is always the hot swap method but I never
tried it.

DaveL

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

stephensheppard@hotmail.com

Sm66ca wrote:
> Attention Experts:
>
> I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went

horribly wrong
> when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the

"floppy" fix by
> placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file

with the
> suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm

guessing
> my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been

activated.
> The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher

dialogue box
> but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The

keyboard
> is inoperative (tried several).
>
> I'm stuck and require the advice/service of an expert which I will

gladly pay
> for.
>
> The board is as I say, an Epox: Model# ep-8rda3+ (revision 1.x)
> (I'm told most all Asus boards are universal flashers)
>
> Michael
> (E-Mail Removed)

In the USA, www.epoxstore.com.

$10 for a replacement chip (preflashed).

$5 for the PLCC extractor.

Went this route about 8 months ago for my EP-8KTA3PRO. I also
hotflashed (risky) my old chip so now I have a backup BIOS.
Stephen Sheppard

Sm66ca

Can't thank you enough!

Regards,

Mike

Sm66ca

Are you familiar with something called the Bios Savior? It resembles an actual
Bios chip. You install it into you Motherboard and then install the Corrupted,
original chip piggy-back style on top of it. Unfortunately, for me, it doees
not work as stated. Anyway, again, many thx for sage advice...

Regards,

Mike

stephensheppard@hotmail.com

Yes, I've heard of BIOS Savior. I looked into once but at the time I
didn't know if I needed the 2 mbit chip or the 4 mbit chip.

If you already have a corrupted BIOS you have to order BIOS Savior
pre-flashed with a good BIOS for your board. Once installed you boot
your machine, toggle the switch, and flash your BIOS chip. Now you
have two copies. In the future if one copy gets corrupted you repeat
the same steps

Stephen Sheppard

Sharp

Why on earth did it halt halfway through the flash?

Heard 8rda3+ rev 1.x boards dont flash to the newer bios at all!

Cheers
michael

Doug Lynn

Hi, you should use the bios flash program to update the bios on newer boards
including Epox. Its invoked using alt-F2 usually, check the manua and follow
the directions for naming the bios file on a floppy. Insert it in drive and
hit alt-F2 will bring up the bios flash program. Radio Shack
stores sells the bios chip extraction tool.

Doug
www.lynncomp.com
Epox direct reseller