wisdomkiller & pain

Ben C> wrote:

> I have (had) a Vista Ultimate 32-bit OS running for 9 months on a PC
> with:
>
> Intel DG965WH Mobo
> Intel E6300 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo CPU
> EVGA 8600GT/256MB PCI-e 16X
> 2GB GEil DR2 800 RAM
> 1-PCI USB Card
> 1-optical drive (SATA)
> 2-Hard Drives (IDE)
> 2-80mm fans
> 1-120mm fan
> Thermaltake 430W TR2 PSU 24-pin connector

> The PC won't resart at all. There is a green light on the motherboard,
> and the power switch is flashing. When I attempt to start the PC,
> nothing happens. No fans, no life except flashing power button & mobo
> light.
> I tried a new PSU with the same results, I tried the old PSU in
> another PC, and it worked fine.
>
> Can anyone suggest something I might try? I can send back the board,
> but I'd rather fix it myself, if possible.
> ---OR---
> Is there an intel support forum I can go to to try to work this out.
> The board is still under warranty.

It may be a ram module gone bad/shorted somewhere. Or anything else.
You should begin with exclusion tests: remove everything not necessary to
get at least a beepcode from your mainboard connectors, which means
harddisks, other peripherals, even the internally usb-connected cardreader,
last not least all RAM modules and even the graphic card.
Just let the beeper tell you a life sign when you switch on the mainboard.
Afterwards, begin reattaching the most essential things first, graphic card
and one stick of ram. Repeat the tests.

Tom Lake

> The PC won't resart at all. There is a green light on the motherboard,
> and the power switch is flashing. When I attempt to start the PC,
> nothing happens. No fans, no life except flashing power button & mobo
> light.
> I tried a new PSU with the same results, I tried the old PSU in
> another PC, and it worked fine.
>
> Can anyone suggest something I might try? I can send back the board,
> but I'd rather fix it myself, if possible.

I have the same model mobo. When I tried to install an nVidia graphics
card, the same thing happened to me. No beeps, no fans, mobo light on.
I removed the video card but no change.

I removed all RAM from the board (with power off, of course!)
Then I powered up and got some beeps. I then powered off,
reinstalled the RAM, powered up and it's been working ever since.
It's worth a shot since it only takes a little time to try it and it's
free.

Tom Lake

Tony

Sounds like a bad update. Your problem is buying cheap no name ram sticks.
Next time use something like crucial or kingston.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Tom Lake

"Ben C>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, that did it. Now what? Throw out the NVIDIA card? The built-in
> card is lame at best. Is this an issue with NVIDIA or Intel?
> -J.

I don't know who's to blame (I suspect Intel but it doesn't really matter -
see below)
I replaced the nVidia with an ATI card and it works fine.

Tom Lake

--

"Whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone it's
going to be bad for the pitcher"

- My fuzzy memory of Man of LaMancha

Plato

Ben C> wrote:

> I have (had) a Vista Ultimate 32-bit OS running for 9 months on a PC

Which means its NOT the motherboard.

> Windows update finally offered me SP-1, so I downloaded and installed
> it. After 2 hours of Windows installing SP-1, I received a dialog box
> telling me that SP-1 did not install: Windows is reverting. After

Which means you just clicked and said go:

You probably already had sp2 on the pc, so you tried to downgrade.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/