bad motherboard?

Stuart Southerland

This may be an impossible question to answer (or just a stupid one), but my
computer, while it generally runs fine, often has trouble booting. It often
takes an unreasonably long period of time, and sometimes fails to boot at
all. I've started keeping the side panel off so I can access the bios reset
easily.

Is the more likely culprit the processor, memory or motherboard? The reason
that I mention the processor is that I have *underclocked* my 2400+ to
2200+, and while the booting issue continues, the occasional blue screen
crashes have stopped.

I'd rather not replace all three at the same time...

Thanks for any thoughts on what to try first

Doug Whitesell

1) There are no stupid questions.
2) Sounds like the board to me.

--
Doug Whitesell
ALL YOUR NOOBS ARE BELONG TO US

"Stuart Southerland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> This may be an impossible question to answer (or just a stupid one), but my
> computer, while it generally runs fine, often has trouble booting. It often
> takes an unreasonably long period of time, and sometimes fails to boot at
> all. I've started keeping the side panel off so I can access the bios reset
> easily.
>
> Is the more likely culprit the processor, memory or motherboard? The reason
> that I mention the processor is that I have *underclocked* my 2400+ to
> 2200+, and while the booting issue continues, the occasional blue screen
> crashes have stopped.
>
> I'd rather not replace all three at the same time...
>
> Thanks for any thoughts on what to try first

Blaedmon

sounds like bad ram - if able try and replace it. If still no go, I'd
suggest a look at yer HD, perhaps reflashing your bios, a hundred other
things, but mainly I'd check your ram.

"Doug Whitesell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GiYQb.10161$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1) There are no stupid questions.
> 2) Sounds like the board to me.
>
> --
> Doug Whitesell
> ALL YOUR NOOBS ARE BELONG TO US
> President, iClick/FCi
>
> "Stuart Southerland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > This may be an impossible question to answer (or just a stupid one), but

my
> > computer, while it generally runs fine, often has trouble booting. It

often
> > takes an unreasonably long period of time, and sometimes fails to boot

at
> > all. I've started keeping the side panel off so I can access the bios

reset
> > easily.
> >
> > Is the more likely culprit the processor, memory or motherboard? The

reason
> > that I mention the processor is that I have *underclocked* my 2400+ to
> > 2200+, and while the booting issue continues, the occasional blue screen
> > crashes have stopped.
> >
> > I'd rather not replace all three at the same time...
> >
> > Thanks for any thoughts on what to try first

Gene

Certainly RAM is the easiest to switch & test. If you have access to
another compatible computer, try switching RAM. If problem does not go
away, try switching power supply. If no joy...look for motherboard. Have
you tried updating the BIOS?