Barton and K7VTA3 rev 5 incompatable?

mrperry2u

I don't know how Fry's can sell this as a combo, since that assumes the MB
and processor are compatible.

Bartons run at 166 FSB and the K7VTA3 will only run at 166 MHz if the PCI is
out of spec at 42 MHz. This MB only has a /4 divisor as far as I can tell,
so unless I'm missing something it cannot run a Barton according to
specifications without overclocking all your peripherals 26%.

Am I wrong? Hope so, cause I bought 'em!

Thanks for any info!

Mike Mastro

Did you throw the necessary jumpers on the board? There is a set of two
jumpers which control the FSB.
It should be in the manual. If it isn't, let me know and I'll e-mail you
a PDF file of those pages in the user guide.

Good luck!

Mike

"mrperry2u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Rzllb.15549$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know how Fry's can sell this as a combo, since that assumes the MB
> and processor are compatible.
>
> Bartons run at 166 FSB and the K7VTA3 will only run at 166 MHz if the PCI

is
> out of spec at 42 MHz. This MB only has a /4 divisor as far as I can tell,
> so unless I'm missing something it cannot run a Barton according to
> specifications without overclocking all your peripherals 26%.
>
> Am I wrong? Hope so, cause I bought 'em!
>
> Thanks for any info!

Arto Kolehmainen

"mrperry2u" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti viestissä
news:Rzllb.15549$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know how Fry's can sell this as a combo, since that assumes the MB
> and processor are compatible.
>
> Bartons run at 166 FSB and the K7VTA3 will only run at 166 MHz if the PCI

is
> out of spec at 42 MHz. This MB only has a /4 divisor as far as I can tell,
> so unless I'm missing something it cannot run a Barton according to
> specifications without overclocking all your peripherals 26%.
>
> Am I wrong? Hope so, cause I bought 'em!
>
> Thanks for any info!

No, you are not wrong.

I have the same board and i have noticed same problem. If i use 166 fsb AMD
barton, both pci and agp are overclocked. JP3 and JP5 in MB are the jumpers
to set FSB to 166 = both 2-3 short.

JP3 JP5
2-3 1-2 = 133
2-3 2-3 = 166

I have tried different bios settings but still it doesn,t work.
How can i change the divider from 1/4 to 1/5, any ideas?

/arto

mrperry2u

After Rev. G bios, Sandra says that the multiplier is 1/5. Life is good.

mrperry