what a battery hassle!!

MZB

OK, this is about my HP Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX. I know this is a
Dell newsgroup, but all my other computers are Dells and you folks are
very helpful. Also, I already posted here about the problem.

Anyway, here's a quick synopsis of the problem: Computer would show 30%
battery life remaining but it would suddenly shut down. I started
getting a W-7 error msg: "consider replacing your battery."

OK, I would recalibrate the battery and that worked for a few days, but
then problem occured again. Basically, the battery used to last for 2
1/2 hours (not great to begin with, but a known problem) and now it was
down to an hour on a full charge and dropping fast.

I called Compaq. They ran some tests and they said I need to recalibrate
the battery again. I described how I did it and they said it was correct
but their tests indicated a recalibration was necessary. Ok, I did it.
This first call lasted 90 minutes.

No joy, so called them back. They had me do one extra step, remove my
battery and put it back in. Suddenly the error messages went away and
their own tests indicated everything was good. I was skeptical, but
okay. This was another 60-minute call yesterday (why do they have me go
through the same troubleshooting crap -- again following their scripts
again).

Today, same problem. I call them and this time their tests say battery
can't hold a charge and needs to be replaced. That should be it. Right?
Wrong. They said it should have shown a warranty part number. It didn't.
This means there could be something else wrong with the computer and I
would have to send it in. I said no way. They said that's what I have to
do. I demanded to speak with his supervisor. He says his supervisor is
busy. I said I'll wait. After 5 minutes he comes back and says he got
authorization to send me a battery (all this is under warranty).

So, I'm supposed to get a new battery next week. I'm hopeful that is the
problem. I guess it could be something else. Some flaw giving
information that the battery is worse than it is (ie: not calibrating
right, despite my attempts). Any thoughts on this?

My guess is that all signs still seem to point to a bad battery. Period.
With my Dells, I wouldn't get any specific error messages, but over time
the battery would last less on a full charge. It usually took a year
(very frequent use, discharging and charging). This Compaq battery
lasted 8 months. Obviously, I'll see what happens when I get the battery!

It just seems to me that they intentionally delay things and create
hassles, hoping that I will give up. I have used Dell's support (usually
chat) and never had that problem. I've had a few things replaced by
Dell, although nothing in the last few years. I guess I'm just venting a
bit.

Any thoughts on the battery issue? Any guesses on whether or not the
problem really is a battery problem?

Mel

Justin

In article <il0lit$qan$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
MZB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, this is about my HP Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX. I know this is a
> Dell newsgroup, but all my other computers are Dells and you folks are
> very helpful. Also, I already posted here about the problem.
> Any thoughts on the battery issue? Any guesses on whether or not the
> problem really is a battery problem?
>
> Mel

Could be the motherboard itself.
Or I wonder if the RFID tag on the battery is going bad.
OR the RFID sensor on the machine itself is going bad.

I suggest you make sure all of your important data is backed up. If
this is a board issue that machine could become a brick without warning.

After fixing all these PeeCee's I switched to a Mac two years ago.
I suggest you consider a Macbook or Macbook Pro for your next machine.
They simply don't have this level of problems.

MZB

On 3/6/2011 6:49 PM, Justin wrote:
> In article<il0lit$qan$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> MZB<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OK, this is about my HP Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX. I know this is a
>> Dell newsgroup, but all my other computers are Dells and you folks are
>> very helpful. Also, I already posted here about the problem.
>> Any thoughts on the battery issue? Any guesses on whether or not the
>> problem really is a battery problem?
>>
>> Mel

> Could be the motherboard itself.
> Or I wonder if the RFID tag on the battery is going bad.
> OR the RFID sensor on the machine itself is going bad.
>
> I suggest you make sure all of your important data is backed up. If
> this is a board issue that machine could become a brick without warning.
>
> After fixing all these PeeCee's I switched to a Mac two years ago.
> I suggest you consider a Macbook or Macbook Pro for your next machine.
> They simply don't have this level of problems.

Well, everyone: At least they were fast on the battery delivery. It came
via overnite, free as per the warranty. I just installed it and charged
it up. This time the HP Test says the battery is Good. Also, I've been
on it for an hour and the charge has gone from 100% to 82%. So far, all
looks good. (Now watch it go to zero in 10 minutes).

Incidentally, I did not perform a calibration. I'm not sure if you need
to do that with a new battery. I've never had to recalibrate a Dell battery.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mel

Justin

In article <il5qp1$5nm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
MZB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 3/6/2011 6:49 PM, Justin wrote:
> > In article<il0lit$qan$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > MZB<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> OK, this is about my HP Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX. I know this is a
> >> Dell newsgroup, but all my other computers are Dells and you folks are
> >> very helpful. Also, I already posted here about the problem.
> >> Any thoughts on the battery issue? Any guesses on whether or not the
> >> problem really is a battery problem?
> >>
> >> Mel

> > Could be the motherboard itself.
> > Or I wonder if the RFID tag on the battery is going bad.
> > OR the RFID sensor on the machine itself is going bad.
> >
> > I suggest you make sure all of your important data is backed up. If
> > this is a board issue that machine could become a brick without warning.
> >
> > After fixing all these PeeCee's I switched to a Mac two years ago.
> > I suggest you consider a Macbook or Macbook Pro for your next machine.
> > They simply don't have this level of problems.

> Well, everyone: At least they were fast on the battery delivery. It came
> via overnite, free as per the warranty. I just installed it and charged
> it up. This time the HP Test says the battery is Good. Also, I've been
> on it for an hour and the charge has gone from 100% to 82%. So far, all
> looks good. (Now watch it go to zero in 10 minutes).
>
> Incidentally, I did not perform a calibration. I'm not sure if you need
> to do that with a new battery. I've never had to recalibrate a Dell battery.
>
> Keeping my fingers crossed.
>
> Mel

for your nest laptop, I still suggest a Mac.

Lucky

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <il5qp1$5nm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> MZB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 3/6/2011 6:49 PM, Justin wrote:

>> > Could be the motherboard itself.
>> > Or I wonder if the RFID tag on the battery is going bad.
>> > OR the RFID sensor on the machine itself is going bad.
>> >
>> > I suggest you make sure all of your important data is backed up. If
>> > this is a board issue that machine could become a brick without
>> > warning.
>> >
>> > After fixing all these PeeCee's I switched to a Mac two years ago.
>> > I suggest you consider a Macbook or Macbook Pro for your next machine.
>> > They simply don't have this level of problems.

>> Well, everyone: At least they were fast on the battery delivery. It came
>> via overnite, free as per the warranty. I just installed it and charged
>> it up. This time the HP Test says the battery is Good. Also, I've been
>> on it for an hour and the charge has gone from 100% to 82%. So far, all
>> looks good. (Now watch it go to zero in 10 minutes).
>>
>> Incidentally, I did not perform a calibration. I'm not sure if you need
>> to do that with a new battery. I've never had to recalibrate a Dell
>> battery.
>>
>> Keeping my fingers crossed.
>>
>> Mel

> for your nest laptop, I still suggest a Mac.

I second that, whole heartedly.

BillW50

On 3/9/2011 7:46 PM, Lucky wrote:

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> for your nest laptop, I still suggest a Mac.

> I second that, whole heartedly.

According to Consumer Reports, Macs were just mediocre in the reliably
department. I was also a contractor working for Apple Computer for two
years. And the only computer they had that was reliable 24/7 was their
only Windows machine (a Dell I believe) that they needed to run the UPS
software. I thought that was quite humorous myself. ;-)

And anybody considering with getting a Mac (and paying up to three times
more than what the hardware is worth), I suggest peeking in the Mac
forums. As there are plenty of users complaining about them there. And
then weigh that against if it is all worth it to you. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)

RnR

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:31:44 -0600, BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 3/9/2011 7:46 PM, Lucky wrote:
>>
>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>
>>> for your nest laptop, I still suggest a Mac.

>> I second that, whole heartedly.

>According to Consumer Reports, Macs were just mediocre in the reliably
>department. I was also a contractor working for Apple Computer for two
>years. And the only computer they had that was reliable 24/7 was their
>only Windows machine (a Dell I believe) that they needed to run the UPS
>software. I thought that was quite humorous myself. ;-)
>
>And anybody considering with getting a Mac (and paying up to three times
>more than what the hardware is worth), I suggest peeking in the Mac
>forums. As there are plenty of users complaining about them there. And
>then weigh that against if it is all worth it to you. ;-)

Bill, in fairness to any Mac (I can't believe I'm defending them since
I never owned one nor want to), you will usually see a lot more
complaints against vs for as that seems to be human nature. Often,
when I'm researching on the net for some item, I have to weigh that in
my decision (that isn't as easy as it sounds tho). Now as to the Mac
quality, I have no comment since I never owned one nor read up on
them. To be honest, I agree they are overpriced and overall I'm
happy with my pc's / laptops and would rather spend less but more
often for newer equipment to keep up with technology. For me, Apple
has no advantage but that might be why some are willing to buy Apple.
Sometimes tho I wonder if some are buying Apple as a status symbol???

BillW50

On 3/11/2011 6:43 AM, RnR wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:31:44 -0600, BillW50<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 3/9/2011 7:46 PM, Lucky wrote:
>>>
>>> "Justin"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> I second that, whole heartedly.

>> According to Consumer Reports, Macs were just mediocre in the reliably
>> department. I was also a contractor working for Apple Computer for two
>> years. And the only computer they had that was reliable 24/7 was their
>> only Windows machine (a Dell I believe) that they needed to run the UPS
>> software. I thought that was quite humorous myself. ;-)
>>
>> And anybody considering with getting a Mac (and paying up to three times
>> more than what the hardware is worth), I suggest peeking in the Mac
>> forums. As there are plenty of users complaining about them there. And
>> then weigh that against if it is all worth it to you. ;-)

> Bill, in fairness to any Mac (I can't believe I'm defending them since
> I never owned one nor want to), you will usually see a lot more
> complaints against vs for as that seems to be human nature. Often,
> when I'm researching on the net for some item, I have to weigh that in
> my decision (that isn't as easy as it sounds tho). Now as to the Mac
> quality, I have no comment since I never owned one nor read up on
> them. To be honest, I agree they are overpriced and overall I'm
> happy with my pc's / laptops and would rather spend less but more
> often for newer equipment to keep up with technology. For me, Apple
> has no advantage but that might be why some are willing to buy Apple.
> Sometimes tho I wonder if some are buying Apple as a status symbol???

You got it exactly!

As for Mac quality, they don't take shortcuts as often like a lot of the
PC manufactures sometimes does. But that doesn't mean that shortcuts are
always bad either. As sometimes it actually works out really well.

On the other hand, Mac reliability isn't the top of the line either.
Although you would think it would be since you are paying a premium for
it. As for example, Apple is having troubles from Seagate and Nvidia.
Each one blames the other one. Even ignoring these two, Macs reliably
still isn't better than just average.

I remember back when I was a newbie back in the 70's. And there was a
saying back then that I think most have forgotten about. And that was
the advice to pick the applications that you want to run, then pick the
OS that will run them. And I can't think of any better advice even for
today. So many people do just the opposite and all it leads to is
nothing but lots of trouble.

--

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 07:54:49 -0600, BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 3/11/2011 6:43 AM, RnR wrote:

>>> According to Consumer Reports, Macs were just mediocre in the reliably
>>> department. I was also a contractor working for Apple Computer for two
>>> years. And the only computer they had that was reliable 24/7 was their
>>> only Windows machine (a Dell I believe) that they needed to run the UPS
>>> software. I thought that was quite humorous myself. ;-)
>>>
>>> And anybody considering with getting a Mac (and paying up to three times
>>> more than what the hardware is worth), I suggest peeking in the Mac
>>> forums. As there are plenty of users complaining about them there. And
>>> then weigh that against if it is all worth it to you. ;-)

>> Bill, in fairness to any Mac (I can't believe I'm defending them since
>> I never owned one nor want to), you will usually see a lot more
>> complaints against vs for as that seems to be human nature. Often,
>> when I'm researching on the net for some item, I have to weigh that in
>> my decision (that isn't as easy as it sounds tho). Now as to the Mac
>> quality, I have no comment since I never owned one nor read up on
>> them. To be honest, I agree they are overpriced and overall I'm
>> happy with my pc's / laptops and would rather spend less but more
>> often for newer equipment to keep up with technology. For me, Apple
>> has no advantage but that might be why some are willing to buy Apple.
>> Sometimes tho I wonder if some are buying Apple as a status symbol???

>You got it exactly!
>
>As for Mac quality, they don't take shortcuts as often like a lot of the
>PC manufactures sometimes does. But that doesn't mean that shortcuts are
>always bad either. As sometimes it actually works out really well.
>
>On the other hand, Mac reliability isn't the top of the line either.
>Although you would think it would be since you are paying a premium for
>it. As for example, Apple is having troubles from Seagate and Nvidia.
>Each one blames the other one. Even ignoring these two, Macs reliably
>still isn't better than just average.
>
>I remember back when I was a newbie back in the 70's. And there was a
>saying back then that I think most have forgotten about. And that was
>the advice to pick the applications that you want to run, then pick the
>OS that will run them. And I can't think of any better advice even for
>today. So many people do just the opposite and all it leads to is
>nothing but lots of trouble.

I *like* that advice <grin>.

Timothy Daniels

"RnR" observed:
> BillW50 wrote:
>
>> [....]
>>According to Consumer Reports, Macs were just mediocre in the reliably
>>department. I was also a contractor working for Apple Computer for two
>>years. And the only computer they had that was reliable 24/7 was their
>>only Windows machine (a Dell I believe) that they needed to run the UPS
>>software. I thought that was quite humorous myself. ;-)
>>
>> [....]>

> Bill, in fairness to any Mac (I can't believe I'm defending them since
> I never owned one nor want to), you will usually see a lot more
> complaints against vs for as that seems to be human nature.... [....]

Presumably, Consumer Reports polled owners of other brands as well,
and they had the same opportunity to grouch about their computers. So if
the magazine saw a percentage of gripes about Mac reliability, it would have
been statistically compared against other brands.

*TimDaniels*

reset battery or new battery JD Dell 12 02-20-2006 09:27 AM
Latitude C series: Is a battery a battery ? Fred Mau Dell 1 10-04-2005 07:35 PM
Battery warning/Hibernation on exhaustion of D-Dock Battery? William P.N. Smith Dell 0 08-13-2004 02:19 PM
Re: how to replace battery cells inside Digital HiNote Ultra II battery? Barry Watzman Laptops 1 07-03-2003 10:36 PM
Re: how to replace battery cells inside Digital HiNote Ultra II battery? Gary Reichlinger Laptops 0 06-28-2003 05:59 PM