Battery meter missing

Steffo

My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I find it
back?
I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full) that
should be in the bottom right corner.
BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and it's not
in the hidden icons.
Any ideas how to get it back?
Thanks,
Steffo

george

I'd love to hear the answer on this, too. I have the same problem with an
Inspiron 8200 with both the battery meter and the "safely remove hardware"
icons (both also set to "always show"). They disappear on some boots and
reappear on other boots and they are the only two icons I have this problem
with. BTW--I'm running WinXP Home with all the latest updates, latest BIOS
on the 8200, too.

George

"Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I find it
> back?
> I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full) that
> should be in the bottom right corner.
> BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and it's not
> in the hidden icons.
> Any ideas how to get it back?
> Thanks,
> Steffo

NuTCrAcKeR

it will disappear if you are using your laptop in a docking station, port
replicator, or have an external power supply connected.

Are you using your machine in any of the 3 above scenarios ?

- NuTs

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v2f8f.26740$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd love to hear the answer on this, too. I have the same problem with an
> Inspiron 8200 with both the battery meter and the "safely remove hardware"
> icons (both also set to "always show"). They disappear on some boots and
> reappear on other boots and they are the only two icons I have this
> problem
> with. BTW--I'm running WinXP Home with all the latest updates, latest
> BIOS
> on the 8200, too.
>
> George
>
> "Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I find it
>> back?
>> I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full) that
>> should be in the bottom right corner.
>> BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and it's
>> not in the hidden icons.
>> Any ideas how to get it back?
>> Thanks,
>> Steffo

mdp

For XP Pro:

Right-Click on desktop
select Properties
select Screen Saver tab
select Power Button
select Advanced tab
Check "Always show icon on the taskbar"

"Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I find it
> back?
> I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full) that
> should be in the bottom right corner.
> BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and it's not
> in the hidden icons.
> Any ideas how to get it back?
> Thanks,
> Steffo

mdp

forgot to add:

select Apply

"mdp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rsj8f.2560$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For XP Pro:
>
> Right-Click on desktop
> select Properties
> select Screen Saver tab
> select Power Button
> select Advanced tab
> Check "Always show icon on the taskbar"
>
> "Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I find it
>> back?
>> I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full) that
>> should be in the bottom right corner.
>> BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and it's
>> not in the hidden icons.
>> Any ideas how to get it back?
>> Thanks,
>> Steffo

Steffo

I've done that several times with re-booting, but no joy.

mdp wrote:
> forgot to add:
>
> select Apply
>

> "mdp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rsj8f.2560$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For XP Pro:
>>
>> Right-Click on desktop
>> select Properties
>> select Screen Saver tab
>> select Power Button
>> select Advanced tab
>> Check "Always show icon on the taskbar"
>>
>> "Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I
>>> find it back?
>>> I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full)
>>> that should be in the bottom right corner.
>>> BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and
>>> it's not in the hidden icons.
>>> Any ideas how to get it back?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steffo

Steffo

I'm using my laptop in the car during the day with no charger.
Up to a few days ago, I had the icon showing the battery meter.
Then when I went home, I hooked up the charger and the icon disappeared.
I'd like to get it back so I know how much battery I have left without
having to go into the control panel's power options.
Any ideas?

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
> it will disappear if you are using your laptop in a docking station,
> port replicator, or have an external power supply connected.
>
> Are you using your machine in any of the 3 above scenarios ?
>
> - NuTs
>
> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:v2f8f.26740$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd love to hear the answer on this, too. I have the same problem
>> with an Inspiron 8200 with both the battery meter and the "safely
>> remove hardware" icons (both also set to "always show"). They
>> disappear on some boots and reappear on other boots and they are the
>> only two icons I have this problem
>> with. BTW--I'm running WinXP Home with all the latest updates,
>> latest BIOS
>> on the 8200, too.
>>
>> George
>>
>> "Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I
>>> find it back?
>>> I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full)
>>> that should be in the bottom right corner.
>>> BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and
>>> it's not in the hidden icons.
>>> Any ideas how to get it back?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steffo

Bill

Just a thought, try going in and "uncheck" "Always show icon on task
bar." Reboot then go back and now check the "always show."

Don't know if it will work, but it might fool the machine into doing
the right thing.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:32:23 +0200, "Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've done that several times with re-booting, but no joy.
>
>mdp wrote:
>> forgot to add:
>>
>> select Apply
>>

>> "mdp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:rsj8f.2560$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> For XP Pro:
>>>
>>> Right-Click on desktop
>>> select Properties
>>> select Screen Saver tab
>>> select Power Button
>>> select Advanced tab
>>> Check "Always show icon on the taskbar"
>>>
>>> "Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...

george

My situation is that it totally randomly disappears (as will the "on AC
power" icon when I have it attached to an
external power supply)...my understanding is that I should always see either
the "battery meter" icon or the "on AC
power" icon. Plus, I have the same situation going on with the "safely
remove hardware" icon. These are all set to
"always show", just like some other icons that I've never had a problem
with. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

George
BTW--To more fully answer your question, I am not yet even attempting to use
my docking station. All this is either
on AC power or battery power.

"NuTCrAcKeR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it will disappear if you are using your laptop in a docking station, port
> replicator, or have an external power supply connected.
>
> Are you using your machine in any of the 3 above scenarios ?
>
> - NuTs
>
> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:v2f8f.26740$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd love to hear the answer on this, too. I have the same problem with
>> an
>> Inspiron 8200 with both the battery meter and the "safely remove
>> hardware"
>> icons (both also set to "always show"). They disappear on some boots and
>> reappear on other boots and they are the only two icons I have this
>> problem
>> with. BTW--I'm running WinXP Home with all the latest updates, latest
>> BIOS
>> on the 8200, too.
>>
>> George
>>
>> "Steffo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4361657b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Dell Inspiron 9200's battery meter has disappeared: how can I find it
>>> back?
>>> I'm talking about the icon showing a blue battery (when it's full) that
>>> should be in the bottom right corner.
>>> BTW, the control panel's power option "always show" is ticked and it's
>>> not in the hidden icons.
>>> Any ideas how to get it back?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steffo

george

Yep, that is the way I set up my XP Home machine that is exhibiting this
problem...