Battery Power Causes Laptop's Performance to Decline

fansofbread@gmail.com

Hello. I've done a lot a troubleshooting on my laptop and I've learned
that my battery is causing my computer to act sluggish. Let me
elaborate a little more...It's only sluggish when it comes to typing,
scrolling, and flash animations. Music and H.264 HD video plays just
fine, but it's mostly the text "hiccup" that's bothering me.

I've isolated it to a windows problem. (I ran knoppix and found no
problem in linux) I have also:

Scanned for viruses/spyware/adware using NOD32, spyboy, and ad-aware
Cleaned out registry with hijackthis
Defragmented
Checked all BIOS settings
Checked for corrupted memory

Thanks

gray-beard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello. I've done a lot a troubleshooting on my laptop and I've learned
> that my battery is causing my computer to act sluggish. Let me
> elaborate a little more...It's only sluggish when it comes to typing,
> scrolling, and flash animations. Music and H.264 HD video plays just
> fine, but it's mostly the text "hiccup" that's bothering me.
>
> I've isolated it to a windows problem. (I ran knoppix and found no
> problem in linux) I have also:
>
> Scanned for viruses/spyware/adware using NOD32, spyboy, and ad-aware
> Cleaned out registry with hijackthis
> Defragmented
> Checked all BIOS settings
> Checked for corrupted memory
>
> Thanks

Ya know, it might help just a little bit, if we knew what make and maybe
even what model of laptop you are having these troubles with.
Guessing games don't work when it comes to laptops.

gb

fansofbread@gmail.com

On Jan 28, 10:08 pm, gray-beard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hello. I've done a lot a troubleshooting on my laptop and I've learned
> > that my battery is causing my computer to act sluggish. Let me
> > elaborate a little more...It's only sluggish when it comes to typing,
> > scrolling, and flash animations. Music and H.264 HD video plays just
> > fine, but it's mostly the text "hiccup" that's bothering me.

> > I've isolated it to a windows problem. (I ran knoppix and found no
> > problem in linux) I have also:

> > Scanned for viruses/spyware/adware using NOD32, spyboy, and ad-aware
> > Cleaned out registry with hijackthis
> > Defragmented
> > Checked all BIOS settings
> > Checked for corrupted memory

> > Thanks

> Ya know, it might help just a little bit, if we knew what make and maybe
> even what model of laptop you are having these troubles with.
> Guessing games don't work when it comes to laptops.
>
> gb

Dell Vostro 1000. Windows XP Home SP2

mike

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello. I've done a lot a troubleshooting on my laptop and I've learned
> that my battery is causing my computer to act sluggish. Let me
> elaborate a little more...It's only sluggish when it comes to typing,
> scrolling, and flash animations. Music and H.264 HD video plays just
> fine, but it's mostly the text "hiccup" that's bothering me.
>
> I've isolated it to a windows problem. (I ran knoppix and found no
> problem in linux) I have also:
>
> Scanned for viruses/spyware/adware using NOD32, spyboy, and ad-aware
> Cleaned out registry with hijackthis
> Defragmented
> Checked all BIOS settings
> Checked for corrupted memory
>
> Thanks

Some laptops have a bios setting for power conservation that reduces
performance on battery...but you've checked that.
Windows has settings for power conservation that can reduce performance
on battery power.
Sometimes, the vendor has a utility that reduces performance on battery.
Remember, that when you "fix" this you might find your battery life
unacceptable.
mike

--
Return address is VALID!

gray-beard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jan 28, 10:08 pm, gray-beard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>Hello. I've done a lot a troubleshooting on my laptop and I've learned
>>>that my battery is causing my computer to act sluggish. Let me
>>>elaborate a little more...It's only sluggish when it comes to typing,
>>>scrolling, and flash animations. Music and H.264 HD video plays just
>>>fine, but it's mostly the text "hiccup" that's bothering me.

>>>I've isolated it to a windows problem. (I ran knoppix and found no
>>>problem in linux) I have also:

>>>Scanned for viruses/spyware/adware using NOD32, spyboy, and ad-aware
>>>Cleaned out registry with hijackthis
>>>Defragmented
>>>Checked all BIOS settings
>>>Checked for corrupted memory

>>>Thanks

>>Ya know, it might help just a little bit, if we knew what make and maybe
>>even what model of laptop you are having these troubles with.
>>Guessing games don't work when it comes to laptops.
>>
>>gb

> Dell Vostro 1000. Windows XP Home SP2

Check the added on software from Dell for a program that slows down the
AMD processor under battery use. Windows also has a program that does
this too. Maybe you can tweak the settings to not slow down so much when
your word processor is running. I also don't know how much ram you have
but more would probably help as the newer operating systems are real
memory hogs.
Check task manager to see how many programs are runnig in the background
as I find that there are always some running that I don't need on my laptop.

gb