Battery question

Charlie Hoffpauir

My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

Their story: "A battery deisgned for the long haul, Samsung PowerPlus
technology gives you more years and more hours. The intelligent
battery charging uses anti-aging technology so that the battery keeps
80% of its original capacity for up to 1500 recharges. That's 5x
longer than a typical battery! No more will you have to deal with a
battery that cant hold its charge. Samsung batteries work as well on
day one as they will on day one hundred."

Comments appreciated.

mike

On 4/16/2012 5:57 PM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
> My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
> is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
> is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
> setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
> prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
> Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
> recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.
>
> Their story: "A battery deisgned for the long haul, Samsung PowerPlus
> technology gives you more years and more hours. The intelligent
> battery charging uses anti-aging technology so that the battery keeps
> 80% of its original capacity for up to 1500 recharges. That's 5x
> longer than a typical battery! No more will you have to deal with a
> battery that cant hold its charge. Samsung batteries work as well on
> day one as they will on day one hundred."
>
> Comments appreciated.

One school of thought says that a lithium battery lasts longest if you
charge it to 40% and put it in the fridge.
It lasts the shortest if you cycle it 0-100% at high temperatures.

You get to choose whether you want to admire it as it sits in the fridge,
or to use the computer.

Another school of thought says that you get about the same number of
total amp-hours out of the battery over a broad range of depth of discharge.

Electric vehicle makers are on the cutting edge of maximizing battery
life. I think there were some articles on the Tesla battery system, but
I can't find the links.

Limiting the charge to 80% will likely help the number of charge cycles.
Shutting down the computer when it hits 40% will likely help too.
And if that works for you, go for it.

Many of us are more worried about the weight of the laptop >> smaller
battery capacity
And whether the computer will run long enough to get our jobs done.
The cost of a new battery may be a tiny percentage of the cost of doing
business.
Vendors are very good at responding to tradeoffs customers want.

AJL

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:57:07 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
>is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced.

Looks like a plug in battery. If you're the least bit handy you should
be able to replace it yourself when (and if) the time comes.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sams...bly-guide.html

>The question
>is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
>setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
>prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?

Not me.

>Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
>recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

Complete discharge was the procedure in the old NiCad battery days to
prevent a battery memory. Li-Ion batteries like your new one don't
have the memory problem.

But some of the Li-Ion laptops I've had in the past suggested a
complete discharge once a month to re-calibrate the L-ion battery's
electronics.

Most of the articles I've read say that Li-Ion batteries last longer
if they're lightly discharged before recharging, and to avoid deep
discharges as a routine.

>Their story: "A battery deisgned for the long haul, Samsung PowerPlus
>technology gives you more years and more hours. The intelligent
>battery charging uses anti-aging technology so that the battery keeps
>80% of its original capacity for up to 1500 recharges. That's 5x
>longer than a typical battery! No more will you have to deal with a
>battery that cant hold its charge. Samsung batteries work as well on
>day one as they will on day one hundred."

In my case I've never had to replace a laptop battery. I've always
treated them poorly and they still lasted several years (longer than
my urge to get a new laptop anyway...

>Comments appreciated.

In your case I'd do what the MFG suggests. That's usually the best
policy.

AJL

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:22:28 -0700, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 4/16/2012 5:57 PM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
>> My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery.

>One school of thought says that a lithium battery lasts longest if you
>charge it to 40% and put it in the fridge.
>It lasts the shortest if you cycle it 0-100% at high temperatures.
>
>You get to choose whether you want to admire it as it sits in the fridge,
>or to use the computer.

That's a *non-removable* battery. I doubt he's going to want to put
that $1000 laptop in the freezer to save the battery... 8-O

Roland Mösl

On 2012-04-17 02:57, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
> My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
> is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
> is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
> setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
> prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
> Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
> recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

To fully discharge before recharge is the perfect sabotage
for batteries.

Best is to always recharge after use.

Look at the Chevy Volt. It has a little bit greater battery than a notebook.

The cycle between 30% and 80% charging state to have the longest
possible life time. The 16 kWh battery would 0% to 100% be suitable
for more than 100 km on battery.

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Planetary Engineering Group Earth

Bob_Villa

On Apr 17, 3:38*am, Roland Mösl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2012-04-17 02:57, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
>
> > My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
> > is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
> > is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
> > setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
> > prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
> > Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
> > recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

> To fully discharge before recharge is the perfect sabotage
> for batteries.
>
> Best is to always recharge after use.
>
> Look at the Chevy Volt. It has a little bit greater battery than a notebook.
>
> The cycle between 30% and 80% charging state to have the longest
> possible life time. The 16 kWh battery would 0% to 100% be suitable
> for more than 100 km on battery.
>
> --
> Roland Möslhttp://www.pege.orgPlanetary Engineering Group Earth

Is this what you're saying?: "They cycle between a 30 and 80% charging
state to have the longest usable life. If you charged between 0 to
100% the 16kWh battery would last more than 100km." YMMV

Roland Mösl

On 2012-04-17 13:47, Bob_Villa wrote:
> On Apr 17, 3:38 am, Roland Mösl<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2012-04-17 02:57, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
>>
>>> My Samsung laptop (NP700Z5A-S04US) has a non-removable battery. That
>>> is, I must send it back if the battery must be replaced. The question
>>> is about how to "prolong" the life of the battery. The computer has a
>>> setting that limits the charge to 80 %, and it says use this to
>>> prolong the life of the battery. Anyone familiar with this technique?
>>> Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me, since I'd heard to basically
>>> recharge fully then use the battery to nearly empty before recharging.

>> To fully discharge before recharge is the perfect sabotage
>> for batteries.
>>
>> Best is to always recharge after use.
>>
>> Look at the Chevy Volt. It has a little bit greater battery than a notebook.
>>
>> The cycle between 30% and 80% charging state to have the longest
>> possible life time. The 16 kWh battery would 0% to 100% be suitable
>> for more than 100 km on battery.
>>
>> --
>> Roland Möslhttp://www.pege.orgPlanetary Engineering Group Earth

> Is this what you're saying?: "They cycle between a 30 and 80% charging
> state to have the longest usable life. If you charged between 0 to
> 100% the 16kWh battery would last more than 100km." YMMV

Yes! Correct!

The NiMh from the Toyota Prius is even used only
between 40% to 60%

reset battery or new battery JD Dell 12 02-20-2006 09:27 AM
Latitude C series: Is a battery a battery ? Fred Mau Dell 1 10-04-2005 07:35 PM
Battery warning/Hibernation on exhaustion of D-Dock Battery? William P.N. Smith Dell 0 08-13-2004 02:19 PM
Re: how to replace battery cells inside Digital HiNote Ultra II battery? Barry Watzman Laptops 1 07-03-2003 10:36 PM
Re: how to replace battery cells inside Digital HiNote Ultra II battery? Gary Reichlinger Laptops 0 06-28-2003 05:59 PM