Beeps when powering on

MSI Motherboard will not POST, gives beeps

I recently purchased an MSI board after all the great reviews but I
can't get video or the system to POST. I've checked the beep codes and
it is "telling" me that the video output isn't initializing. So, what
can I do ? It's an onboard graphics motherboard and either gives 3
long beeps (RAM issue) or one long and two short (Video initializing
error). What can I do to correct this ? It has an i5 560 and Corsair
memory, both of which are supposed to be compatible with the
motherboard. It's getting enough power (575W power supply). Please
help! On a side note, when I unplug the 4 prong "extra power
connector" I get video, but the machine just turns on and off
repeatedly. It kicks on for about .25 of a second, then off
again...... dunno, maybe something with the way it's configured. If
anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Paul

MSI Motherboard will not POST, gives beeps wrote:
> I recently purchased an MSI board after all the great reviews but I
> can't get video or the system to POST. I've checked the beep codes and
> it is "telling" me that the video output isn't initializing. So, what
> can I do ? It's an onboard graphics motherboard and either gives 3
> long beeps (RAM issue) or one long and two short (Video initializing
> error). What can I do to correct this ? It has an i5 560 and Corsair
> memory, both of which are supposed to be compatible with the
> motherboard. It's getting enough power (575W power supply). Please
> help! On a side note, when I unplug the 4 prong "extra power
> connector" I get video, but the machine just turns on and off
> repeatedly. It kicks on for about .25 of a second, then off
> again...... dunno, maybe something with the way it's configured. If
> anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

The three beeps is a good sign. It means, your processor must have
been getting power. To make the beep noise, the processor has to
be able to read some BIOS code. No beeps would be worse.

The 2x2 square connector that you connect to the motherboard, should
have two yellow and two black wires. It powers the processor, and
once it was plugged in, you got some beep codes.

Try testing RAM, one stick at a time.

Try the RAM in all the slots (one slot at a time).

It could be, the RAM wasn't full seated. Or the RAM is
the wrong kind, or installed backwards. Verify the RAM
part number, is appropriate for the motherboard model number.

And your processor was probably an i5-650, because I can
find that one on ark.intel.com .

Paul

Abit KV7-V Powering down with Wavering Tone banzai26 Abit 3 04-07-2005 10:35 AM
Re: Abit KV7-V Powering down with Wavering Tone banzai26 Abit 0 04-06-2005 02:41 PM
beeps,,beeeps and beeps shima_sfp Asus 1 10-12-2004 07:52 AM
P4P800 deluxe 2 beeps , what are those beeps? JUSTME Asus 1 02-05-2004 11:22 PM
System Beeps - Five Beeps (One long, two short, high pitch, low pitch) Huw E Asus 1 01-29-2004 08:24 AM