Best connection gfx - flatscreen?

Thomas Andersson

What's the best option to use when hooking up a gaming rig toa flatscreen
if both are available? DVI-D or HDMI?
What's the difference and what is gained by the better option?

Homer Jay Simpson

"Thomas Andersson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the best option to use when hooking up a gaming rig toa flatscreen
> if both are available? DVI-D or HDMI?
> What's the difference and what is gained by the better option?

The image quality of DVI-D and HDMI will be identical assuming the same
standard of cable is being compared, as the video signal/bitstream is the
same.

HDMI 1.3 and 1.2 differs from DVI-D in that it may also contain up to eight
channels of digtal audio (HDMI 1.0 and 1.1 carry video only).

When you say flatscreen are you talking about a computer monitor or a TV?
Some computer monitors don't have speakers so HDMI is not relevant.

If it's a TV, and you want the audio stream played through the TV, and you
don't want the inconvenience of hooking up separate component audio cables,
then HDMI would be the choice. This is assuming your graphics card is able
to pass a digital audio stream to its HDMI port.

Thomas Andersson

Homer Jay Simpson wrote:

>> What's the best option to use when hooking up a gaming rig toa flatscreen
>> if both are available? DVI-D or HDMI?
>> What's the difference and what is gained by the better option?

> The image quality of DVI-D and HDMI will be identical assuming the
> same standard of cable is being compared, as the video
> signal/bitstream is the same.

Thanks, that's what I wondered, guess I'll stick with DVI. Was just curious
if it would make any difference whatsoever.

> When you say flatscreen are you talking about a computer monitor or a
> TV? Some computer monitors don't have speakers so HDMI is not
> relevant.

Talking computer monitor without speakers so HDMI would make no difference
at all (and my TV is old and doesn't have HDMI).

Lost wireless connection (icon and the connection) totally JackyB Tablet PC 9 09-03-2005 02:55 PM
Aol DSL USB connection or Ethernet Connection? Andy Dell 3 04-25-2005 04:34 PM
Using RAID connection as regular IDE connection on A8V Deanna Higgins Asus 5 10-29-2004 03:20 PM
best gfx board with kg7? wal Abit 0 07-05-2004 11:50 AM
Which gfx plays Dx 9 games best 9800 pro or 5900? wired and confused Nvidia 10 06-11-2004 11:33 PM