Best MB and why

ATK

I have been away for some time. I have a KG7RAID which must be getting a bit
long in the tooth now and I'm ready to upgrade.
Outright speed is not main criteria but should be reasonably fast for future
proofing. I do want RAID and serial ATA seems to be a good idea from what I
have read.
Slight preference for AMD but only if this still saves money over Intel.
Suggestions please, which if possible should also indicate suitable
processor and memory.
Also I intend to use my existing ATX Tower for which I have just bought a
500W PSU from ebay.
Many thanks,

Charlie

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:24:06 +0100, "ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been away for some time. I have a KG7RAID which must be getting a bit
>long in the tooth now and I'm ready to upgrade.
>Outright speed is not main criteria but should be reasonably fast for future
>proofing. I do want RAID and serial ATA seems to be a good idea from what I
>have read.
>Slight preference for AMD but only if this still saves money over Intel.
>Suggestions please, which if possible should also indicate suitable
>processor and memory.
>Also I intend to use my existing ATX Tower for which I have just bought a
>500W PSU from ebay.
>Many thanks,

I have been using a KT7A-Raid for several years. It started giving
lockup problems a few months ago, and refused to run at 1 GHz any
more, so I figured something was failing (but couldn't determine what)
so I decided it was time for a new system.

After looking and reading lots of posts, I decided on an ASUS A7N8X-E
Deluxe with an AMD 3200 XP, and so far it's been just great. I'm using
1 stick of 512 MB Corsair PC-3200C2 RAM, but intend to add another
stick soon.

This system will allow for Serial ATA RAID, which I may add at some
point, and seems to meet all your other requirements as well. This
board also has a provision for a Wireless B add-on, which I don't
intend to use, and on-board sound, and two on-board Ethernet
connectors.

Overall, a solid board. But I did hear that it's particular about RAM,
so if you get this board, stick with the RAM that ASUS recommends.
I also read that there are problems with one of the Ethernet ports....
but it worked with the port I set up, so I haven't looked further into
that, since I only needed one.

GTD

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:24:06 +0100, "ATK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been away for some time. I have a KG7RAID which must be getting a bit
>long in the tooth now and I'm ready to upgrade.
>Outright speed is not main criteria but should be reasonably fast for future
>proofing. I do want RAID and serial ATA seems to be a good idea from what I
>have read.
>Slight preference for AMD but only if this still saves money over Intel.
>Suggestions please, which if possible should also indicate suitable
>processor and memory.
>Also I intend to use my existing ATX Tower for which I have just bought a
>500W PSU from ebay.
>Many thanks,

I upgraded from a kg7Raid to an NF7-S (version 2.0). This will allow
you to use your the processor from the KG7, so the entire upgrade
doesn't have to happen all at once (although, with 2500+ bartons going
for <$90, it's not such a big deal,,, IF they still OC to 3200+ speeds
easily).

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

Spajky

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:10:53 -0500, Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have been using a KT7A-Raid for several years. It started giving
>lockup problems a few months ago, and refused to run at 1 GHz any
>more, so I figured something was failing (but couldn't determine what)

probably caps bulging ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Charlie

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:11:19 +0200, Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:10:53 -0500, Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I have been using a KT7A-Raid for several years. It started giving
>>lockup problems a few months ago, and refused to run at 1 GHz any
>>more, so I figured something was failing (but couldn't determine what)

>probably caps bulging ...

Good observation with very little data!

Yes there are a few caps with slightly bulged tops..... difficult to
see without removing all the cards and looking very closely. Ater I
get everything transferred from this machine to the new one, I'll try
replacing those offending capacitors, and report back here the results
(since I have little to lose by trying it).

Brian Brunner

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Charlie wrote:

>> >probably caps bulging ...

>> Good observation with very little data!
>>
>> Yes there are a few caps with slightly bulged tops..... difficult to
>> see without removing all the cards and looking very closely. Ater I
>> get everything transferred from this machine to the new one, I'll try
>> replacing those offending capacitors, and report back here the results
>> (since I have little to lose by trying it).

I suggest mailing this Mobo and some money to Capman and having *all*
resistors changed with good quality caps. Definitely good quality work
done for a *damn* reasonable price, and quickly, and friendly.

Capman would post here more often if we talked more about ewes instead
of RAM.

Charlie

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:24:54 GMT, Brian Brunner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Good observation with very little data!
>>>
>>> Yes there are a few caps with slightly bulged tops..... difficult to
>>> see without removing all the cards and looking very closely. Ater I
>>> get everything transferred from this machine to the new one, I'll try
>>> replacing those offending capacitors, and report back here the results
>>> (since I have little to lose by trying it).

>I suggest mailing this Mobo and some money to Capman and having *all*
>resistors changed with good quality caps. Definitely good quality work
>done for a *damn* reasonable price, and quickly, and friendly.
>
>Capman would post here more often if we talked more about ewes instead
>of RAM.

Capman? Do you have an address or web site?

Brian Brunner

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Charlie wrote:

>> >I suggest mailing this Mobo and some money to Capman and having *all*
>> >resistors changed with good quality caps. Definitely good quality work
>> >done for a *damn* reasonable price, and quickly, and friendly.
>> >
>> >Capman would post here more often if we talked more about ewes instead
>> >of RAM.

>> Capman? Do you have an address or web site?

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

(E-Mail Removed)

Best service I've had in this category (circuit board repair, and sheep)

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? navti Apple 4 05-31-2007 02:54 AM
Why? Why? Oh Why?? flat skunk Apple 5 03-22-2007 11:30 PM
Why, why, why... ATI? /mel/ ATI 17 01-21-2005 06:26 PM
Best hacked NF-7S BIOS for overclocking and WHY Leadfoot AMD Overclocking 2 12-02-2004 06:01 AM
K7S5A Oh why oh why did I bother starting to tweek it Ebodski ECS 4 10-07-2003 08:59 PM