Best MB for OC'ing P4

JM

I have a P4 that I want to OC to the max.
As you can see, I have it up to 2.76GHz, but upping the FSB any higher
and it reboots or freezes.

What would be the best MB to get for OC'ing this CPU?
I have read reports it will go to 3GHz.
My MB cannot adjust any voltages, only FSB.
JM

CPU-Z ReportCPU-Z Report

CPU-Z version 1.20.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs1

Code NameNorthwood
SpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Family / Model / SteppingF 2 7
Extended Family / Model0 0
Brand ID9
Technology0.13 µ
Supported Instructions SetsMMX, SSE, SSE2
CPU Clock Speed2766.1 MHz
Clock multiplierx 19.0
Front Side Bus Frequency145.6 MHz
Bus Speed582.3 MHz
L1 Data Cache8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes
line size
L1 Trace Cache12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
size
L2 Speed2766.1 MHz (Full)
L2 LocationOn Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logicyes
L2 Bus Width256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard modelSiS-648,
BIOS vendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision6.00 PG
BIOS release date08/19/2003
ChipsetSiS SiS648 rev. 50
SouthbridgeSiS 8 rev. 25

AGP Statusenabled, rev. 3.5
AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, not enabled
AGP Aperture Size64 MBytes

Memory
DRAM TypeDDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size768 MBytes
CAS# Latency2.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS#4 clocks
RAS# Precharge4 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS)6 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC)11 clocks
# of memory modules2
Module 0DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
Module 1DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes

Software
Windows versionMicrosoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Build
2600)

Skid

Don't give up on what you've got until you're tried a few more tricks.
Loosen the ram timing to 3,4,4,8 and try raising the fsb some more. You can
always tighten them back later once you know how high the cpu can go.

On the other hand, you can't expect miracles with an older P4. They don't
have nearly the headroom of the new ones.

You have PC3200 memory already. You could get a good overclocking board like
an Abit IS7 or IC7 and push your cpu to its limits. If you're still not
satisfied, an new cpu (or video card if you're a gamer,) is the next step.

My rig:
Abit IC7, bios 19.
P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3 ghz
4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 @ 5.4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6
Sapphire Radeon 9500 modded to 9700 and overclocked to Pro.

"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a P4 that I want to OC to the max.
> As you can see, I have it up to 2.76GHz, but upping the FSB any higher
> and it reboots or freezes.
>
> What would be the best MB to get for OC'ing this CPU?
> I have read reports it will go to 3GHz.
> My MB cannot adjust any voltages, only FSB.
> JM
>

> CPU-Z ReportCPU-Z Report
>

> CPU-Z version 1.20.
>

> CPU(s)
> Number of CPUs1
>
> Code NameNorthwood
> SpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
> Family / Model / SteppingF 2 7
> Extended Family / Model0 0
> Brand ID9
> Technology0.13 µ
> Supported Instructions SetsMMX, SSE, SSE2
> CPU Clock Speed2766.1 MHz
> Clock multiplierx 19.0
> Front Side Bus Frequency145.6 MHz
> Bus Speed582.3 MHz
> L1 Data Cache8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes
> line size
> L1 Trace Cache12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
> L2 Cache512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
> size
> L2 Speed2766.1 MHz (Full)
> L2 LocationOn Chip
> L2 Data Prefetch Logicyes
> L2 Bus Width256 bits
>

> Mainboard and chipset
> Motherboard modelSiS-648,
> BIOS vendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD
> BIOS revision6.00 PG
> BIOS release date08/19/2003
> ChipsetSiS SiS648 rev. 50
> SouthbridgeSiS 8 rev. 25
>
> AGP Statusenabled, rev. 3.5
> AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
> AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, not enabled
> AGP Aperture Size64 MBytes
>

> Memory
> DRAM TypeDDR-SDRAM
> DRAM Size768 MBytes
> CAS# Latency2.0 clocks
> RAS# to CAS#4 clocks
> RAS# Precharge4 clocks
> Cycle Time (TRAS)6 clocks
> Bank Cycle Time (TRC)11 clocks
> # of memory modules2
> Module 0DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
> Module 1DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes
>

> Software
> Windows versionMicrosoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Build
> 2600)

JM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them.
My board can go to 800FSB, so a new CPU is not out of the question.
OLDER CPU?
I bought it 6 months ago! Oh, well, 6 months is obsolete, I guess. ;-(
My video card is an ATI AIW Radeon 7500, I'm not into gaming, just
video capture. I also have a FusionHDTV-II PCI tuner card. I don't
really need to OC the video, just the CPU.

I'll check on those motherboards and see if I can find one locally.

You're doing a bit better than a friend of mine in Florida. He has the
2.4GHz/800FSB at 3.06GHz.

Besides what is in the report, my system also includes:
Maxtor 40GB ATA133 7200RPM Drive C: for OS and Video capture
Maxtor 80GB ATA100 5400RPM Drive D: for video data.
WD 40GB ATA100 5400RPM for data storage.
Maxtor (Promise) ATA133 PCI Controller.
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 6-CH Sound Card.
Pioneer DVR-106D DVD/CD burner.
Pioneer DVD-120 DVD-ROM.
Mitsumi 54X CDROM.
IO/Magic (AOpen) 24X10X40X CDROM.
400W ATX-P4 PS.
The ram is OCZ with heatsinks.

Actually I can get to a FSB of 150 for 2.86GHz, but some apps, mainly
the video processing ones (CCE2.50 and TMPGEnc+) have a tendency to
lock up. Everything else seems to work fine. If I hit 151FSB the
computer reboots after the BIOS text and before starting XP.

JM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:19:54 GMT, "Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>> Motherboard modelSiS-648,
>> BIOS vendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD
>> BIOS revision6.00 PG
>> BIOS release date08/19/2003
>> ChipsetSiS SiS648 rev. 50
>> SouthbridgeSiS 8 rev. 25
>>
>> AGP Statusenabled, rev. 3.5
>> AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
>> AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, not enabled
>> AGP Aperture Size64 MBytes
>>

>> Memory
>> DRAM TypeDDR-SDRAM
>> DRAM Size768 MBytes
>> CAS# Latency2.0 clocks
>> RAS# to CAS#4 clocks
>> RAS# Precharge4 clocks
>> Cycle Time (TRAS)6 clocks
>> Bank Cycle Time (TRC)11 clocks
>> # of memory modules2
>> Module 0DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
>> Module 1DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes
>>

>> Software
>> Windows versionMicrosoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Build

JM

Can you be more specific on the RAM settings?
My BIOS doesn't seem to have corresponding settings that matches those
numbers.

wrote:

>Don't give up on what you've got until you're tried a few more tricks.
>Loosen the ram timing to 3,4,4,8 and try raising the fsb some more. You can
>always tighten them back later once you know how high the cpu can go.
>
>On the other hand, you can't expect miracles with an older P4. They don't
>have nearly the headroom of the new ones.
>
>You have PC3200 memory already. You could get a good overclocking board like
>an Abit IS7 or IC7 and push your cpu to its limits. If you're still not
>satisfied, an new cpu (or video card if you're a gamer,) is the next step.
>
>My rig:
>Abit IC7, bios 19.
>P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3 ghz
>4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 @ 5.4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6
>Sapphire Radeon 9500 modded to 9700 and overclocked to Pro.

<snipped>

Skid

"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you be more specific on the RAM settings?
> My BIOS doesn't seem to have corresponding settings that matches those
> numbers.
> JM

I haven't a clue how your bios is set up, but I can see from the readout in
your first post the memory is set at CAS 2, which is is as tight as it gets.
I suspect that raising it to CAS 2.5 or 3 will give you more headroom to
reach a higher fsb.

I'm also not sure about how the SiS sets AGP and PCI bus speed. If you can't
lock them at defaults like an Intel or NForce board, look for a way to
change the divisor to keep them as close to the standard 66/33 mhz as you
can. Otherwise you're overclocking video, audio and drives along with the
cpu, an invitation to instability.

There's a good bios guide at www.rojakpot.com that may help.

katt33

Skid wrote:

> Don't give up on what you've got until you're tried a few more tricks.
> Loosen the ram timing to 3,4,4,8 and try raising the fsb some more. You can

Just reading other peoples posts.
I'm already lower in MHz for my ram, but as above, this might help me too.
I'm almost stable runing a 2.6c @ 3.25
I'm only going up little by little to see what works.
Slowing the ram timing might help me go a little faster.
I'd like to hit 1GHz Over, but if I don't hit it, I don't.
katt :-)

> always tighten them back later once you know how high the cpu can go.
>
> On the other hand, you can't expect miracles with an older P4. They don't
> have nearly the headroom of the new ones.
>
> You have PC3200 memory already. You could get a good overclocking board like
> an Abit IS7 or IC7 and push your cpu to its limits. If you're still not
> satisfied, an new cpu (or video card if you're a gamer,) is the next step.
>
> My rig:
> Abit IC7, bios 19.
> P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3 ghz
> 4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 @ 5.4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6
> Sapphire Radeon 9500 modded to 9700 and overclocked to Pro.
>
> "JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a P4 that I want to OC to the max.
>>As you can see, I have it up to 2.76GHz, but upping the FSB any higher
>>and it reboots or freezes.
>>
>>What would be the best MB to get for OC'ing this CPU?
>>I have read reports it will go to 3GHz.
>>My MB cannot adjust any voltages, only FSB.
>>JM
>>

>>CPU-Z ReportCPU-Z Report
>>

>> CPU-Z version 1.20.
>>

>> CPU(s)
>> Number of CPUs1
>>
>> Code NameNorthwood
>> SpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
>> Family / Model / SteppingF 2 7
>> Extended Family / Model0 0
>> Brand ID9
>> Technology0.13 µ
>> Supported Instructions SetsMMX, SSE, SSE2
>> CPU Clock Speed2766.1 MHz
>> Clock multiplierx 19.0
>> Front Side Bus Frequency145.6 MHz
>> Bus Speed582.3 MHz
>> L1 Data Cache8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes
>>line size
>> L1 Trace Cache12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
>> L2 Cache512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
>>size
>> L2 Speed2766.1 MHz (Full)
>> L2 LocationOn Chip
>> L2 Data Prefetch Logicyes
>> L2 Bus Width256 bits
>>

>> Mainboard and chipset
>> Motherboard modelSiS-648,
>> BIOS vendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD
>> BIOS revision6.00 PG
>> BIOS release date08/19/2003
>> ChipsetSiS SiS648 rev. 50
>> SouthbridgeSiS 8 rev. 25
>>
>> AGP Statusenabled, rev. 3.5
>> AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
>> AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, not enabled
>> AGP Aperture Size64 MBytes
>>

>> Memory
>> DRAM TypeDDR-SDRAM
>> DRAM Size768 MBytes
>> CAS# Latency2.0 clocks
>> RAS# to CAS#4 clocks
>> RAS# Precharge4 clocks
>> Cycle Time (TRAS)6 clocks
>> Bank Cycle Time (TRC)11 clocks
>> # of memory modules2
>> Module 0DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
>> Module 1DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes
>>

>> Software
>> Windows versionMicrosoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Build
>>2600)

Tony

Skid, I've been meaning to ask you: have you run memtest86 with this setup?
Any errors?

Adam Webb

Asus P4C800e deluxe.........

--
______
From Adam Webb,

"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a P4 that I want to OC to the max.
> As you can see, I have it up to 2.76GHz, but upping the FSB any higher
> and it reboots or freezes.
>
> What would be the best MB to get for OC'ing this CPU?
> I have read reports it will go to 3GHz.
> My MB cannot adjust any voltages, only FSB.
> JM
>

> CPU-Z ReportCPU-Z Report
>

> CPU-Z version 1.20.
>

> CPU(s)
> Number of CPUs1
>
> Code NameNorthwood
> SpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
> Family / Model / SteppingF 2 7
> Extended Family / Model0 0
> Brand ID9
> Technology0.13 µ
> Supported Instructions SetsMMX, SSE, SSE2
> CPU Clock Speed2766.1 MHz
> Clock multiplierx 19.0
> Front Side Bus Frequency145.6 MHz
> Bus Speed582.3 MHz
> L1 Data Cache8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes
> line size
> L1 Trace Cache12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
> L2 Cache512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
> size
> L2 Speed2766.1 MHz (Full)
> L2 LocationOn Chip
> L2 Data Prefetch Logicyes
> L2 Bus Width256 bits
>

> Mainboard and chipset
> Motherboard modelSiS-648,
> BIOS vendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD
> BIOS revision6.00 PG
> BIOS release date08/19/2003
> ChipsetSiS SiS648 rev. 50
> SouthbridgeSiS 8 rev. 25
>
> AGP Statusenabled, rev. 3.5
> AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
> AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, not enabled
> AGP Aperture Size64 MBytes
>

> Memory
> DRAM TypeDDR-SDRAM
> DRAM Size768 MBytes
> CAS# Latency2.0 clocks
> RAS# to CAS#4 clocks
> RAS# Precharge4 clocks
> Cycle Time (TRAS)6 clocks
> Bank Cycle Time (TRC)11 clocks
> # of memory modules2
> Module 0DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
> Module 1DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes
>

> Software
> Windows versionMicrosoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Build
> 2600)

JM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:05:37 GMT, "Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Can you be more specific on the RAM settings?
>> My BIOS doesn't seem to have corresponding settings that matches those
>> numbers.
>> JM

>I haven't a clue how your bios is set up, but I can see from the readout in
>your first post the memory is set at CAS 2, which is is as tight as it gets.
>I suspect that raising it to CAS 2.5 or 3 will give you more headroom to
>reach a higher fsb.

I'll try increasing it.

>I'm also not sure about how the SiS sets AGP and PCI bus speed. If you can't
>lock them at defaults like an Intel or NForce board, look for a way to
>change the divisor to keep them as close to the standard 66/33 mhz as you
>can. Otherwise you're overclocking video, audio and drives along with the
>cpu, an invitation to instability.

It has 2 options on that. I can lock the AGP/PCI to auto-detect and it
will always be what it should be, or I can select for it to overclock
with the CPU. I keep it locked to 133/66/33. (AGP4X video)

The CPU and RAM are also independent of each other, or can be locked
together. I can set a divisor that will keep the ram at some ratio of
the FSB. That keeps it from exceeding 200MHz or whatever it will run
at, if slower than the CPU.

>There's a good bios guide at www.rojakpot.com that may help.

I'll check this out today.
JM

Skid

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Skid, I've been meaning to ask you: have you run memtest86 with this

setup?
> Any errors?

No errors looping MemTest86 or Prime95 with the following:

Abit IC7, bios 19
P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3ghz
4x256 Buffalo Tech PC3700 (Winbond BH-5) running 5:4, 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6, all
GAT auto.

Sandra buffered memory about 5850.

I can get the memory to 225 at CAS 2.5 and 230+ at CAS 3, but the cpu can't
keep up at 5:4 and 1:1 doesn't push it enough.