Best traditional PCI card...

jacobaust@gmail.com

Hi...

I just bought Call Of Duty 2 for PC and have found that my GeForce 4 MX
card doesn't support the game.

In hunting for a new card, I have found that my Sony Desktop Tower
(PCV-RZ14G) does not have the newer slots...PCI-Express or even AGP.
So, my question is this...

What is the best graphics card for me to get that will work with both
my computer and the game? It seems that I need 100% DirectX9
compatibility. I don't plan on running the game with the highest
graphics settings...like smoke and high AA.

In hunting around a bit, it seems that the ATI Radeon 9200 is PCI and
is supported by the game...as a bottom end. Is that it? I like my
NVidia board, but the game requires GeForce 4 or higher...and these all
seem to be AGP or PCI-e.

Help a new PC gamer out!

Thanks...

Mark C.

The old PCI bus is hopeless for running DX9 games, including
CoD2. But if that's your only option:

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi...
>
> I just bought Call Of Duty 2 for PC and have found that my GeForce 4 MX
> card doesn't support the game.
>
> In hunting for a new card, I have found that my Sony Desktop Tower
> (PCV-RZ14G) does not have the newer slots...PCI-Express or even AGP.
> So, my question is this...
>
> What is the best graphics card for me to get that will work with both
> my computer and the game? It seems that I need 100% DirectX9
> compatibility. I don't plan on running the game with the highest
> graphics settings...like smoke and high AA.
>
> In hunting around a bit, it seems that the ATI Radeon 9200 is PCI and
> is supported by the game...as a bottom end. Is that it? I like my
> NVidia board, but the game requires GeForce 4 or higher...and these all
> seem to be AGP or PCI-e.
>
> Help a new PC gamer out!
>
> Thanks...

Jake Aust

Ah...I was wrong. I do have an AGP slot...the only thing I'm having
trouble figuring out is if it supports 4x or 8x cards...

Leadfoot

"Jake Aust" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Ah...I was wrong. I do have an AGP slot...the only thing I'm having
> trouble figuring out is if it supports 4x or 8x cards...

Sandra lite is your friend

Free download

http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html...uy&langx=en&a=

use the mainboard module and scroll down to expansion slots

Leadfoot

BTW COD2 is very GPU intensive i.e. your video card does most of the work
while the CPU is loafing

Larry Roberts

On 16 Feb 2006 22:45:03 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi...
>
>I just bought Call Of Duty 2 for PC and have found that my GeForce 4 MX
>card doesn't support the game.
>
>In hunting for a new card, I have found that my Sony Desktop Tower
>(PCV-RZ14G) does not have the newer slots...PCI-Express or even AGP.
>So, my question is this...
>
>What is the best graphics card for me to get that will work with both
>my computer and the game? It seems that I need 100% DirectX9
>compatibility. I don't plan on running the game with the highest
>graphics settings...like smoke and high AA.
>
>In hunting around a bit, it seems that the ATI Radeon 9200 is PCI and
>is supported by the game...as a bottom end. Is that it? I like my
>NVidia board, but the game requires GeForce 4 or higher...and these all
>seem to be AGP or PCI-e.
>
>Help a new PC gamer out!
>
>Thanks...

I went to Sony's site, and found your system. It does have an
AGP slot according to the specs, which should be occupied by the GF4
MX440 card. It says it's a 4X AGP, but most 8X AGP cards are at least
backwards compatable to 4X. I have a 6600GT that I tried in an old
Celeron 1.1Ghz AGP 4X, and an Athlon XP 1900+ (VIA KT266A) AGP 4X, and
it worked in them just as well as my Athlon XP 3000+ AGP 8X system.

Mark C.

"Jake Aust" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Ah...I was wrong. I do have an AGP slot...the only thing I'm having
> trouble figuring out is if it supports 4x or 8x cards...

So what's your budget? :-)

Benjamin Gawert

Larry Roberts schrieb:

> I went to Sony's site, and found your system. It does have an
> AGP slot according to the specs, which should be occupied by the GF4
> MX440 card. It says it's a 4X AGP, but most 8X AGP cards are at least
> backwards compatable to 4X.

_All_ AGP 8x cards are compatible with AGP 4x systems...

Benjamin