best upgade for $200?

Doug

I have a computer I use for playing games (among other things).
Basically FPS graphics-intensive stuff. I currently get crappy
performance with games like CS:Source, etc. Worst case: 10fps in
lowest settings.

The computer is an AMD 1.7Ghz/266fsb, 512meg, GeForce 5700 Ultra.

I want to either upgrade the MB+CPU or just the video card. Upgrading
the CPU alone is not worth it because this is an old MB and it only
goes up to 2Ghz.

Where would you spend the $200? MB+CPU or Video?

Doug

Michael Lee

Doug wrote:

> I have a computer I use for playing games (among other things).
> Basically FPS graphics-intensive stuff. I currently get crappy
> performance with games like CS:Source, etc. Worst case: 10fps in
> lowest settings.
>
> The computer is an AMD 1.7Ghz/266fsb, 512meg, GeForce 5700 Ultra.
>
> I want to either upgrade the MB+CPU or just the video card. Upgrading
> the CPU alone is not worth it because this is an old MB and it only
> goes up to 2Ghz.
>
> Where would you spend the $200? MB+CPU or Video?
>
> Doug

Geforce 6600 GT!

DaveW

Upgrading just the video card would be a waste because the slower CPU you
have would be a bottleneck for it.

--
DaveW

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I have a computer I use for playing games (among other things).
> Basically FPS graphics-intensive stuff. I currently get crappy
> performance with games like CS:Source, etc. Worst case: 10fps in
> lowest settings.
>
> The computer is an AMD 1.7Ghz/266fsb, 512meg, GeForce 5700 Ultra.
>
> I want to either upgrade the MB+CPU or just the video card. Upgrading
> the CPU alone is not worth it because this is an old MB and it only
> goes up to 2Ghz.
>
> Where would you spend the $200? MB+CPU or Video?
>
> Doug

Michael Lee

DaveW wrote:
> Upgrading just the video card would be a waste because the slower CPU you
> have would be a bottleneck for it.

You are probably right, but the GeForce 5700 Ultra isn't exactly cutting
edge either.

Doug, the best thing to do would be to wait and upgrade both CPU and
video card at the same time. Save up another couple hundred and buy an
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or 3400+ and the GeForce 6600 GT and you'll have
yourself a pretty decent gaming machine.

PS - On a side note, I noticed a lot of posts on here are cross-posted
to newsgroups I don't subscribe to. Would it be proper etiquette to
only send my replies to newsgroups I read, or does it not matter? (i.e.
because someone in another newsgroup might have already said the same
exact thing, but I will never know)

Tal Fuchs

The 5700 Ultra even though it's not the best card it's still very good.
I would recomend to upgrade the MB + CPU.
BUT, replacing the MB + CPU will require an AGP MB, to be able to use the
existing 5700 Ultra card.

Tal

"Michael Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3fc26$hpo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DaveW wrote:
>> Upgrading just the video card would be a waste because the slower CPU you
>> have would be a bottleneck for it.

> You are probably right, but the GeForce 5700 Ultra isn't exactly cutting
> edge either.
>
> Doug, the best thing to do would be to wait and upgrade both CPU and video
> card at the same time. Save up another couple hundred and buy an AMD
> Athlon 64 3200+ or 3400+ and the GeForce 6600 GT and you'll have yourself
> a pretty decent gaming machine.
>
> PS - On a side note, I noticed a lot of posts on here are cross-posted to
> newsgroups I don't subscribe to. Would it be proper etiquette to only
> send my replies to newsgroups I read, or does it not matter? (i.e.
> because someone in another newsgroup might have already said the same
> exact thing, but I will never know)

vilfrard

get a new motherboard and 2800+ or higher cpu and your games will be
much much faster

Doug

It looks like most people think the MB+CPU should be upgraded first.

Damn, I just realized that I also have to get new memory if I buy a
MB. I only have ddr266 which will probably slow down a 400fsb system.

The one nice thing about upgading the video is that it's much easier.
Upgrading the MB is a pain if you want to keep your programs and data
-- which I do.

Doug

"Tal Fuchs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<425bdc51$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> The 5700 Ultra even though it's not the best card it's still very good.
> I would recomend to upgrade the MB + CPU.
> BUT, replacing the MB + CPU will require an AGP MB, to be able to use the
> existing 5700 Ultra card.
>
> Tal
>

> "Michael Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d3fc26$hpo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > DaveW wrote:
> >> Upgrading just the video card would be a waste because the slower CPU you
> >> have would be a bottleneck for it.

> > You are probably right, but the GeForce 5700 Ultra isn't exactly cutting
> > edge either.
> >
> > Doug, the best thing to do would be to wait and upgrade both CPU and video
> > card at the same time. Save up another couple hundred and buy an AMD
> > Athlon 64 3200+ or 3400+ and the GeForce 6600 GT and you'll have yourself
> > a pretty decent gaming machine.
> >
> > PS - On a side note, I noticed a lot of posts on here are cross-posted to
> > newsgroups I don't subscribe to. Would it be proper etiquette to only
> > send my replies to newsgroups I read, or does it not matter? (i.e.
> > because someone in another newsgroup might have already said the same
> > exact thing, but I will never know)

Asrock K8 Upgade plus AMD Sempron 2600+ 64 bit Ajgor ASRock 1 11-06-2005 11:04 AM
Upgade Dimension 2400 from 2.4g Celeron? Leythos Dell 17 08-07-2005 12:53 AM
Multi boot upgade with winxp Jay Asus 7 05-15-2004 01:53 PM
Do I want to upgade? Tim Gateway 9 05-01-2004 07:11 AM
Re: Want to upgade my memory what shoudl i go for ? Stephan Grossklass Asus 0 07-26-2003 11:32 AM