What is the best USB-to-RS232 adapter out there?

Chris_99

Gang:

Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no PCMCIA
card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does anyone have a good
experience with any USB (or fire-wire) serial devices?

I have many legacy apps that want to talk to a UART real bad and the
quality of the driver would be the issue here.

I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could purchase
and try with all of these old utilities...

Thanks!

Chris

Meindert Sprang

"Chris_99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Gang:
>
> Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no PCMCIA
> card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does anyone have a good
> experience with any USB (or fire-wire) serial devices?

The ones with an FTDI chip inside.

Meindert

Chris_99

Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "Chris_99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Gang:
> >
> > Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no PCMCIA
> > card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does anyone have a good
> > experience with any USB (or fire-wire) serial devices?
> >

> The ones with an FTDI chip inside.
>
> Meindert

Meindert:

Thanks for the tip. Found FTDI stuff at Parallax,Inc. in the States

thanks!

Chris

Grant Edwards

On 2006-05-12, Chris_99 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no
> PCMCIA card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does
> anyone have a good experience with any USB (or fire-wire)
> serial devices?

I've tried 3-4 different USB ones and they all worked fine. I
think they all use either the PL2303 or the FTDI chipset. Both
chipsets are recognized by Linux out-of-the-box and are purely
plug and play.

If you're using Windows, you'll have to go download drivers
from somewhere and reboot 9 times.

> I have many legacy apps that want to talk to a UART real bad
> and the quality of the driver would be the issue here.

No problem if you're running Linux.

> I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could
> purchase and try with all of these old utilities...

Names are meaningless. You can buy two identically branded and
labelled devices and end up with two different chipsets.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just had a NOSE
at JOB!!

Dave Hansen

On 12 May 2006 07:54:21 -0700 in comp.arch.embedded, "Chris_99"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gang:
>
>Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no PCMCIA
>card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does anyone have a good
>experience with any USB (or fire-wire) serial devices?
>
>I have many legacy apps that want to talk to a UART real bad and the
>quality of the driver would be the issue here.
>
>I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could purchase
>and try with all of these old utilities...

Just a warning I haven't seen anyone else post yet: What kinds of
apps are you taking about?

If you're talking about simple serial communications, such as to a
terminal or another computer, you're probably OK. USB has stabilized
pretty. Everything I've tried in the last couple years, at least,
even on Windoze boxes, has worked flawlessly.

But if you've got something more esoteric, with tight timing
requirements, such as a chip programmer or a dongle, something that
isn't "pure", it may be that no USB device will work with it. For
example, no USB serial or parallel port (that I'm aware of, at least)
will allow you to toggle a control line faster than 500 Hz (the time
base for USB frames is 1 ms).

I only mention this because embedded programmers are more likely to
have such applications than the general population.

Regards,
-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Steve at fivetrees

"Dave Hansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 12 May 2006 07:54:21 -0700 in comp.arch.embedded, "Chris_99"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Gang:
>>
>>Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no PCMCIA
>>card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does anyone have a good
>>experience with any USB (or fire-wire) serial devices?
>>
>>I have many legacy apps that want to talk to a UART real bad and the
>>quality of the driver would be the issue here.
>>
>>I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could purchase
>>and try with all of these old utilities...

> Just a warning I haven't seen anyone else post yet: What kinds of
> apps are you taking about?
>
> If you're talking about simple serial communications, such as to a
> terminal or another computer, you're probably OK. USB has stabilized
> pretty. Everything I've tried in the last couple years, at least,
> even on Windoze boxes, has worked flawlessly.
>
> But if you've got something more esoteric, with tight timing
> requirements, such as a chip programmer or a dongle, something that
> isn't "pure", it may be that no USB device will work with it. For
> example, no USB serial or parallel port (that I'm aware of, at least)
> will allow you to toggle a control line faster than 500 Hz (the time
> base for USB frames is 1 ms).
>
> I only mention this because embedded programmers are more likely to
> have such applications than the general population.

Just to add a bit more to that: if these are *very* legacy, e.g. DOS with
direct UART access, you're out of luck.

Under Windoze, or any other OS with a hardware abstraction layer, it should
be fine.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Don McKenzie

Chris_99 wrote:

> Gang:
>
> Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no PCMCIA
> card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does anyone have a good
> experience with any USB (or fire-wire) serial devices?
>
> I have many legacy apps that want to talk to a UART real bad and the
> quality of the driver would be the issue here.
>
> I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could purchase
> and try with all of these old utilities...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Have a read of:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/produ...roductid=16139

you will see that this uses the FTDI chipset, is manufactured by
Easysync, an FTDI company, and works where many others fail.

Read the comments from customers on that page.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World's smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html

ghelbig@lycos.com

Chris_99 wrote:
> Gang:
>
> I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could purchase
> and try with all of these old utilities...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

I have had problems with the Prolific chip. It's a driver issue, not a
chip issue, but Prolific provides both, so the difference is moot.
(The driver has problems with certain function calls...)

I don't see these issues with FTDI based units. And I've heard good
things about the TI and SiLabs controllers.

As someone pointed out you can find different chips in the same product
from the same maker. IOGear changed chips a while back, and you can
only tell them apart by the revision code.

Expect to pay a bit more for one where you actually know what chip is
in it.

Hope that helps.

Neil

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Chris_99 wrote:
>> Gang:
>>
>> I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could purchase
>> and try with all of these old utilities...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Chris

> I have had problems with the Prolific chip. It's a driver issue, not a
> chip issue, but Prolific provides both, so the difference is moot.
> (The driver has problems with certain function calls...)
>
> I don't see these issues with FTDI based units. And I've heard good
> things about the TI and SiLabs controllers.
>
> As someone pointed out you can find different chips in the same product
> from the same maker. IOGear changed chips a while back, and you can
> only tell them apart by the revision code.
>
> Expect to pay a bit more for one where you actually know what chip is
> in it.
>
> Hope that helps.

Do they still work. My IO Gear converters work fine.

Ulf Samuelsson

>> Gang:
>>
>> Now that all the cuel new laptops have no serial ports and no PCMCIA
>> card slot, and I am stuck haplessly with USB, does anyone have a
>> good experience with any USB (or fire-wire) serial devices?
>>
>> I have many legacy apps that want to talk to a UART real bad and the
>> quality of the driver would be the issue here.
>>
>> I would really appreciate a couple of names of devices I could
>> purchase and try with all of these old utilities...

> Just a warning I haven't seen anyone else post yet: What kinds of
> apps are you taking about?
>
> If you're talking about simple serial communications, such as to a
> terminal or another computer, you're probably OK. USB has stabilized
> pretty. Everything I've tried in the last couple years, at least,
> even on Windoze boxes, has worked flawlessly.
>
> But if you've got something more esoteric, with tight timing
> requirements, such as a chip programmer or a dongle, something that
> isn't "pure", it may be that no USB device will work with it. For
> example, no USB serial or parallel port (that I'm aware of, at least)
> will allow you to toggle a control line faster than 500 Hz (the time
> base for USB frames is 1 ms).

If you are using a standard driver.
Why not use more end points and a non standard protocol
USB <-> JTAG Emulators certainly toggle the JTAG faster than 500 Hz

You can get CDC (Communication Device Class) drivers for the
AT91SAM7 series so you do not have to bother with special chips
like FTDI to implement the serial port.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson