BFG 6800 GT OC problem

thexterarcury

Ok so here are my specs, to my best knowledge

2 ATA hard drives (120 gig, 160 gig)
2 CD drives (1 combo, 1 52x reader)
AMD Venice Athlon 3500+
ECS RX-480A motherboard
(http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16813135009)
Enermax EG465P PSU
(http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16817103464)
2 sticks of 512MB DDR3200 memory (not sure which brand)
Soundblaster SB Live! 5.1

and a BFG 6800 GT OC PCI-E card that has been giving me a shitload of
problems.

Basically what is happening is that the computer ultrastutters and
freezes on me all the time, sometimes it is every half hour other times
it stays on for like 8 hours no problem. I can't do anything and I have
to restart my comp. Other times the comp won't come back from standby.
This happens randomly, sometimes I'm watching a movie sometimes I'm
just chatting on aim, etc.

It sounds like a hardware problem, so I decided to RMA my card, and I
am borrowing my friend's card, the same one, and am having the same
problem. I think my friend, however, is having the same issue so it's
possible that his has the exact same problem, but doesn't seem likely.

I have the newest bios and chipsets for my motherboard
I am running 71.89 drivers for my video card.

So is the problem with my chipset, ATI 200P? Or with the card? The
power supply should be enough for my unit, so I really am having
trouble pinpointing the problem. Could it be the memory? Any ideas?

First of One

1. Try the latest nVidia drivers (i.e. 91.33 beta)
2. Update to the latest ATi southbridge driver:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Product...ailName=Driver
3. If stuttering persists, experiment with running without the sound card.
If the stuttering subsequently goes away, move the sound card to a different
slot.

What kind of games are you running? Do they happen to use features like EAX,
hardware mixing etc.? Disabling these options in-game may improve things.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

cosmo_kramer1@rocketmail.com

thexterarcury wrote:
> Ok so here are my specs, to my best knowledge
>
> 2 ATA hard drives (120 gig, 160 gig)
> 2 CD drives (1 combo, 1 52x reader)
> AMD Venice Athlon 3500+
> ECS RX-480A motherboard
> (http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16813135009)
> Enermax EG465P PSU
> (http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16817103464)
> 2 sticks of 512MB DDR3200 memory (not sure which brand)
> Soundblaster SB Live! 5.1
>
> and a BFG 6800 GT OC PCI-E card that has been giving me a shitload of
> problems.
>
> Basically what is happening is that the computer ultrastutters and
> freezes on me all the time, sometimes it is every half hour other times
> it stays on for like 8 hours no problem. I can't do anything and I have
> to restart my comp. Other times the comp won't come back from standby.
> This happens randomly, sometimes I'm watching a movie sometimes I'm
> just chatting on aim, etc.
>
> It sounds like a hardware problem, so I decided to RMA my card, and I
> am borrowing my friend's card, the same one, and am having the same
> problem. I think my friend, however, is having the same issue so it's
> possible that his has the exact same problem, but doesn't seem likely.
>
> I have the newest bios and chipsets for my motherboard
> I am running 71.89 drivers for my video card.
>
> So is the problem with my chipset, ATI 200P? Or with the card? The
> power supply should be enough for my unit, so I really am having
> trouble pinpointing the problem. Could it be the memory? Any ideas?

Why are you assuming the problem is with your video card? I'd say the
fact that you tried another card in its place and the problems
continued points to the video card NOT being your issue. Of course,
that helps you very little. You still have to eliminate other hardware
devices, such as memory, CPU, motherboard, power supply, etc... Or, of
course, it could be corruption in your OS.

Have you eliminated heat issues (cpu temp, video card temp)? Have you
tried re-seating your memory and other cards. Have you tried cleaning
out your fan(s) to make sure you are getting good air circulation in
the case? Do you have your video card running off a dedicated 12V line
from the power supply (not split with other peripherals)?

When you do all that and the problems continue, then it's time to try a
fresh OS install and see if the problems go away...

Good luck!

-CK

job

Does your video card share it's power connection with anything else,like a
Hard drive or CD/DVD drive?Make sure it's on it's own power plug.No sharing.