BFG 6800 GT OC

Dave Zass

Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and blue
LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?

I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw a
post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a "newer/updated"
version with a better heatsink/fan.

My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply cosmetic
or not.

Richard Dower

"Dave Zass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and blue
> LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?
>
> I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw
> a post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a
> "newer/updated" version with a better heatsink/fan.
>
> My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply cosmetic
> or not.

Get the one with the dual fans, it's copper heatsink and alot cooler, cool
as in "cool" not cold.

:-)

Dave Zass

>> Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and
>> blue LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?
>>
>> I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw
>> a post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a
>> "newer/updated" version with a better heatsink/fan.
>>
>> My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply
>> cosmetic or not.
>>

> Get the one with the dual fans, it's copper heatsink and alot cooler, cool
> as in "cool" not cold.

I already own one. I guess you missed the question part of the post.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the two cards, other than
cosmetics? I know plenty of people in this NG know..... Anyone?

GT-Force

I have the dual fan version.

Temperatures on idle:
GPU: 68
Ambient :50-51
with drivers 61.77

What are yours?

GT-Force

"Dave Zass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any differences between the card with the nickel finish and blue
> LED's and the card that just has the BFG sticker on the fan/cooler?
>
> I think I saw something about it being UK vs US distribution. I also saw
> a post saying that the nickel finish/blue LED version was a
> "newer/updated" version with a better heatsink/fan.
>
> My card runs fantastic, but I'm curious as to whether it's simply cosmetic
> or not.

Dave Zass

>I have the dual fan version.
>
> Temperatures on idle:
> GPU: 68
> Ambient :50-51
> with drivers 61.77
>
> What are yours?

GPU: 52C
Ambient: 39C
Using: 67.66's
Under load, after 3 hrs of Far Cry at High settings: 64C
415/1100

I'm assuming I have a single fan version? If so, I'd think I'd run hotter
than yours. I have the one with the greenish BFG sticker, not the nickel
plated dual LED model. Still trying to figure out the differences.........

Homer J. Simpson

You didn't specify if your card is AGP or PCI-Express. The AGP versions
have the dual fans and blue LED's but the PCI-Express version of the card
doesn't.

"Dave Zass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have the dual fan version.
>>
>> Temperatures on idle:
>> GPU: 68
>> Ambient :50-51
>> with drivers 61.77
>>
>> What are yours?

> GPU: 52C
> Ambient: 39C
> Using: 67.66's
> Under load, after 3 hrs of Far Cry at High settings: 64C
> 415/1100
>
> I'm assuming I have a single fan version? If so, I'd think I'd run hotter
> than yours. I have the one with the greenish BFG sticker, not the nickel
> plated dual LED model. Still trying to figure out the
> differences.........

Dave Zass

> You didn't specify if your card is AGP or PCI-Express. The AGP versions
> have the dual fans and blue LED's but the PCI-Express version of the card
> doesn't.

Sorry about that. I have an AGP version. I don't have blue LED's.

GT-Force

"Dave Zass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm assuming I have a single fan version? If so, I'd think I'd run hotter
> than yours.

Not necessarily. More is not always better. Sometimes, less is more!

> I have the one with the greenish BFG sticker, not the nickel plated dual
> LED model. Still trying to figure out the differences....

I don't think there are any major differences. I once saw a good review
about the dual fan version, and it was somehow comparing it to the other. I
think, besides the cooling difference, there is also a buzzer on the
dual-fan version which alerts you with an audible alert if your card is too
hot (I hope I'll never hear that buzz! ).

GT

Dave Zass

> I don't think there are any major differences. I once saw a good review
> about the dual fan version, and it was somehow comparing it to the other.
> I think, besides the cooling difference, there is also a buzzer on the
> dual-fan version which alerts you with an audible alert if your card is
> too hot (I hope I'll never hear that buzz! ).

I've done plenty of googling, but could never find specifics. Thanks for
your input.

As mentioned, I have the AGP version, no shiny nickel plating or cool
flashing LED fans. They always seem to get the press/reviews. I was
curious as to the actual differences ( ie. one was early production, one
later or different markets, or a design flaw was corrected....... ) between
the two cards and why there is two different AGP versions to begin with.