big disk on 503+

Joel Mosher

I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55 after
rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole disk.
In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's ok
since I can use the disk in another, newer system.

Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

Alex Zorrilla

Ahhh, so the VA-503+ can see all the way up to 136 GB with that BIOS.
That is very good to know. As I am sure you know, 137 GB is the most
recent BIOS-limited hard drive barrier. There is no BIOS revision that
will let you get past 137 GB... at least, none that I know of.

I suppose you can always use one of the hard drive utilities from the
hard drive manfacturer's website to get past 137 GB, or buy a new PCI
IDE controller card.

$55 for 160 GB? Wow, that is quite a deal. As it stands, you are
"wasting" only $8.25 worth of hard drive space!

--Alex

Joel Mosher wrote:
> I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55 after
> rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole disk.
> In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's ok
> since I can use the disk in another, newer system.
>
> Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

Not Bob

I have never seen a bios for the 503+ that supports 48-bit LBA so your only
alternative is to use a PCI ATA controller card which supports 48-bit LBA.
For more information see: http://www.48bitlba.com/

"Joel Mosher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sigHd.12893$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55 after
> rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole disk.
> In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's ok
> since I can use the disk in another, newer system.
>
> Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

Wblane

Another advantage of using another PCI ATA controller card is that you can get
support for ATA modes faster than 33. The FIC VA503+ EIDE controller is slow as
a slug.

Joel Mosher wrote:
> I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55 after
> rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole disk.
> In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's ok
> since I can use the disk in another, newer system.
>
> Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

I planned to install FreeBSD on this disk so I put it in my ECS K7S5A
Pro motherboard which saw the entire disk. I installed FreeBSD 4.11RC3.
Everything went well. I put the disk in the 503+ where it worked
flawlessly. I didn't have to use any goofy sofware or controller cards.
I suppose if I had to install Windows things would have been different.

Not Bob

Yes that would work because Linux/FreeBSD do not use the bios to determine
disk geometry. From the 136 GB number in your first post I just assumed you
were using XP.

"Joel Mosher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RokHd.12336$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Joel Mosher wrote:
> > I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55 after
> > rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole disk.
> > In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's ok
> > since I can use the disk in another, newer system.
> >
> > Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

> I planned to install FreeBSD on this disk so I put it in my ECS K7S5A
> Pro motherboard which saw the entire disk. I installed FreeBSD 4.11RC3.
> Everything went well. I put the disk in the 503+ where it worked
> flawlessly. I didn't have to use any goofy sofware or controller cards.
> I suppose if I had to install Windows things would have been different.

Gibby

Hi Alex:
So,then, if I'm using a FIC PA-2013 (Rev 2.1)MB, Windows98SE, with
a PROMISE Ultra ATA/66 controller card, will I have a problem pairing
it with a WD 120GB 7200RPM Internal EIDE hard drive? I wonder what the
upper limit is for the Promise Ultra ATA66 controller?
Thanks in advance.
Gibby
Alex Zorrilla wrote:
> Ahhh, so the VA-503+ can see all the way up to 136 GB with that BIOS.

> That is very good to know. As I am sure you know, 137 GB is the most

> recent BIOS-limited hard drive barrier. There is no BIOS revision

that
> will let you get past 137 GB... at least, none that I know of.
>
> I suppose you can always use one of the hard drive utilities from the

> hard drive manfacturer's website to get past 137 GB, or buy a new PCI

> IDE controller card.
>
> $55 for 160 GB? Wow, that is quite a deal. As it stands, you are
> "wasting" only $8.25 worth of hard drive space!
>
> --Alex
>

> Joel Mosher wrote:
> > I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55

after
> > rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole

disk.
> > In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's

ok
> > since I can use the disk in another, newer system.
> >
> > Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

Gibby

Update: I just read on the Promose ATA Ultra66 box that it supports
drives up to 128GB.
Gibby

Robert Akins

Gibby:
The only problem you'll experience is if you want to use the 120GB drive
as your boot drive, when you're installing 98SE. The 98SE install CD won't
see the hard drive through the Ultra66 PCI controller card. You might have
to install to a smaller hard drive (on the 2013's IDE controller), install
the Ultra66, get 98SE to recognize it, then attach the 120GB hard drive. I
haven't bought a WD hard drive in quite some time, so I don't know what kind
of installation software they come with, but hopefully it would allow you to
copy the contents of the small drive to a new drive, then remove the small
drive and boot the system off the 120GB drive.
Robert
"Gibby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Alex:
> So,then, if I'm using a FIC PA-2013 (Rev 2.1)MB, Windows98SE, with
> a PROMISE Ultra ATA/66 controller card, will I have a problem pairing
> it with a WD 120GB 7200RPM Internal EIDE hard drive? I wonder what the
> upper limit is for the Promise Ultra ATA66 controller?
> Thanks in advance.
> Gibby
> ************************************************** ***************
> Alex Zorrilla wrote:
> > Ahhh, so the VA-503+ can see all the way up to 136 GB with that BIOS.

> > That is very good to know. As I am sure you know, 137 GB is the most

> > recent BIOS-limited hard drive barrier. There is no BIOS revision

> that
> > will let you get past 137 GB... at least, none that I know of.
> >
> > I suppose you can always use one of the hard drive utilities from the

> > hard drive manfacturer's website to get past 137 GB, or buy a new PCI

> > IDE controller card.
> >
> > $55 for 160 GB? Wow, that is quite a deal. As it stands, you are
> > "wasting" only $8.25 worth of hard drive space!
> >
> > --Alex
> >

> > Joel Mosher wrote:
> > > I took a chance today. I bought a 160GB IDE disk at Frys for $55

> after
> > > rebate. I didn't know if my 503+ motherboards would see the whole

> disk.
> > > In fact, the 503+ only sees 136GB. I'm using the JE4333 BIOS. It's

> ok
> > > since I can use the disk in another, newer system.
> > >
> > > Has anyone found a way to get a 503+ to see the space above 136GB?

Gibby

Robert: Thanks for the response. My biggest problem now is whether my
existing interface (a Promise Ultra ATA/66 controller card) will handle
the WD 120 gig hard drive. Western Digital Company says that the HD
interface specification is DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)for the 120GB HD.
However, the Promise packaging for Ultra ATA/66 says it will support
drive capacities up to 128GB. So, I'm not sure.
Any opinions welcomed/appreciated.
Gibby