How big a powersupply to get?

MeNotHome

How big of a powersupply do I need
Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
300g hd, DVD burner

Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

KC Computers

> How big of a powersupply do I need
> Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
> 300g hd, DVD burner
> Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

A good quality 400W-550W is plenty for most systems and a good
brand is Antec or Enermax.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed) Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Mark A

"MeNotHome" <dtfa@****nospm****insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How big of a powersupply do I need
> Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
> 300g hd, DVD burner
>
> Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

Seasonic S12- 380 or 430.

DRS

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

> ... and possible brand?

I have an Antec NeoHE 500 which is going great guns. This question has been
asked and answered many times before. Google this group and similar ones
for the past year or so to see the discussions.

BC

MeNotHome wrote:
> How big of a powersupply do I need
> Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
> 300g hd, DVD burner
>
> Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

Rock solid: $99: 3 year warranty

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...hp?show=S47ATX

~ $200: 5 year warranty, super solid; probably overkill....

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...hp?show=T51SLI

Seasonic 430: $96; 3 year warranty.

This 430 unit is about as low a wattage that I would recommend....

Seasonic 500: $126

This Enermax unit is good:

~ $99....

Seasonic builds their units to be quieter than most.

PC Power & Cooling built with engineering/aircraft style "reserves",
i.e. they are overengineered a bit....

HTH,

BC

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, MeNotHome
<dtfa@****nospm****insightbb.com> wrote:

> How big of a powersupply do I need
> Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
> 300g hd, DVD burner
>
> Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

Since you won't tell us anything about the hardware...

Processor (www.amdcompare.com)

FX60 110W - assuming Vcore is 90% efficient, (110W/12V)*(1/0.90)=10.2A
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desk...=ADAFX60DAA6CD

Video card

X1900XTX 12V@10A
(or 6600GT 12V@4A, or anywhere in between)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...ption2006.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...00gt-oc_3.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...powercons.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...-nv-power.html

Cooling fans - allocate 12V@0.5A

Hard drive - allocate 12V@2A spinup, 12V@0.5A desktop idle
- a separate calc for spinup current is only needed
when a large number of drives are being used.

DVD - nameplate says 12V@1.5A, and no real data is available.

I'll further assume you are buying an ATX 2.0+ power supply (the
latest spec and type, with 24 pin main power connector, and a
separate 12V 2x2 connector for the processor). As seen here:

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...public_br2.pdf

12V2 (feeds CPU) = 10.2A
12V1 (the rest) = 10A (fat video) + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.5 = 12.5A

This Seasonic 430W is +12V1@14A, +12V2@15A and is probably
as small a supply as I would use. If your video card is not the
mighty X1900XTX, then the amount of 12V1 needed won't be quite as
large. And you can look up the real processor you are going to
buy, on amdcompare.com (an AMD site).

So you can do your own calc now, and not take advice from web
sites selling power supplies :-)

Usually, by the time you buy a supply big enough to supply the
12V rails, the provided 3.3V and 5V are enough for the rest of
the computer. There is insufficient detail about other rail
requirements, to be able to calculate them effectively anyway.

So, you don't buy power supplies by the watts, as much as by
the amps on a particularly heavily loaded rail, like today's
12V output(s).

Paul

nige

just had an antec 550w go bust on me and
i wasnt impressed with the build quality of the unit.
now using a 450w ocz model , better build quality.

nige

DDC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:05:37 GMT, MeNotHome
<dtfa@****nospm****insightbb.com> wrote:

>How big of a powersupply do I need
>Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
>300g hd, DVD burner
>
>Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

i would go for tha most powerfull that i can aford as it is the last
peace of equipement that you want to replace. Plus it leave room for
furture upgrade like a second video card...

Ed Medlin

"nige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just had an antec 550w go bust on me and
> i wasnt impressed with the build quality of the unit.
> now using a 450w ocz model , better build quality.
>
> nige

I also recommend the OCZ. The 450w lists peak at 530w or about that (old and
forgetful). They are relatively new in the PSU market, but are very high
quality. I also like the modular design to keep things neat in the box.

Ed

pajamas

I buy mine on Ebay. Replaced a 300 watt yesterday.

Don't spend over $35 including shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/650-Watt-Demon-P...QQcmdZViewItem