Bios Flash? Which one?

WrAvEn

I have a SOYO KT600 Dragon Plus board Version 1.0-Edition: August 2003.
Which of these upgrades does anyone recommend I use to perform my flash?
BIOS Upgrade for SY-KT600 DRAGON PLUS v.1.0

ktp32ba3.exe
2004-10-10
Award BIOS update 2ba3 for SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v1.0
(or)
ktp32ba1.exe
2004-04-05
BIOS ver 2BA1 for KT600 Dragon Plus v1.0
Thanx

f/f george

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:49:36 -0500, "WrAvEn" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a SOYO KT600 Dragon Plus board Version 1.0-Edition: August 2003.
>Which of these upgrades does anyone recommend I use to perform my flash?
>BIOS Upgrade for SY-KT600 DRAGON PLUS v.1.0
>
>ktp32ba3.exe
>2004-10-10
>Award BIOS update 2ba3 for SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v1.0
>(or)
>ktp32ba1.exe
>2004-04-05
>BIOS ver 2BA1 for KT600 Dragon Plus v1.0
>Thanx

Why are you trying to flash the bios? Does the board not do something
you would like it to do? If the answer is, the board does everything I
want it to do now, then DO NOT flash it.
Done wrong flashing can kill a mb, done right it can provide extended
capabilities to a mb.

j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net

Well if you were to look at each of these files and what they are
listed as you would find that ktp32ba1.exe is the original release BIOS
file that your board came with.

If you look at ktp32ba3.exe you would see listed just what this BIOS
file changes from your version to this one. That is, it only adds
support for the Sempron CPU. So if your planning on adding a Sempron
CPU you will need this BIOS file. If your not planning on changing to
the Sempron then DO NOT FLASH!

Far to many people feel that since there is a BIOS update out for there
board they must have it. This is not the case, you should only flash
your BIOS if your experiancing a problem that the new file addressed or
your planning on adding new hardware that the file supports.

The risk of the flashing process going wrong and leaving your
motherboard usless till you can have the BIOS chip reflashed on proper
equipment or replaced with a new chip just doesn't warrent the risk
unless it does fix a problem your currently having or adds support for
new hardware your planning on adding.

WrAvEn

I thank you very much for spelling out exactly what these flash numbers
mean, and what they do. Being a novice dealing with computers, this is
information I need to make an informed decision. If it ain't broke - don't
fix it! I will leave well enough alone and be happy knowing I have the
proper bios update on my MOBO. Thank you for the informative and helpful
reply, this is a great newsgroup!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Well if you were to look at each of these files and what they are....
>snip<

....it does fix a problem your currently having or adds support for
> new hardware your planning on adding.

WrAvEn

Thanks ff/george - your info, along with that of the other poster
j.burghdoff has convinced me to leave well enough alone. My machine is
running quite nicely the way it is presently so I'll just keep my cotton
picking hands off it >grin< and be happy with it. Thanks ever so much for
the reply.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...