Bios Options....MPS Revision ????

Andrew Stirling

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this refers to?? I've got two options 1.1
or 1.4 - which should I choose?

Thanks

--
Andrew

Mike Gorman

From www.rojakpot.com

Common Options : 1.1, 1.4

Details

This feature is only applicable to multiprocessor motherboards as it
specifies the version of the Multi-Processor Specification (MPS) that the
motherboard will use. The MPS is a specification by which PC manufacturers
design and build Intel architecture systems with two or more processors.

MPS 1.1 was the original specification. MPS version 1.4 adds extended
configuration tables for improved support of multiple PCI bus configurations
and greater expandability in the future. In addition, MPS 1.4 introduces
support for a secondary PCI bus without requiring a PCI bridge.

Please note that MPS version 1.4 is required for a motherboard to support a
secondary PCI bus without the need for a PCI bridge.

If your operating system comes with support for MPS 1.4, you should change
the setting from the default of 1.1 to 1.4. You also need to enable MPS 1.4
support if you need to make use of the secondary PCI bus on a motherboard
that doesn't come with a PCI bridge. This is because only MPS 1.4 supports a
bridgeless secondary PCI bus.

You should only leave it as 1.1 only if you are running an older operating
system that only supports MPS 1.1.

According to Eugene Tan, Windows NT already supports MPS 1.4. Therefore,
newer operating systems like Windows 2000 and Windows XP shouldn't have any
problem supporting MPS 1.4.

However, users of the ABIT BP6 motherboard and Windows 2000 should take note
of a possible problem with the MPS version set to 1.4. Dan Isaacs reported
that when you set the MPS version to 1.4 in the ABIT BP6, Windows 2000 will
not use the second processor. So, if you encounter this problem, set the MPS
Version Control For OS to 1.1

Andrew Stirling

Thanks!

--