BIOS Upgrade for SY-P4I 845PE V1.0

scripttron75

Is there a bios upgrade for this MB SY-P4I 845PE V1.0 soyo dragon.
SOyos website discontinued this board and the latest bios they have I
have already updated.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Soyo-B...pict62482.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=314595

Soyo Guy

scripttron75 wrote:

> Is there a bios upgrade for this MB SY-P4I 845PE V1.0

Is that the one with 3 ISA slots?

Dennis Mullin

On 22 Sep 2005 19:36:42 -0400, scripttron75
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a bios upgrade for this MB SY-P4I 845PE V1.0 soyo dragon.
>SOyos website discontinued this board and the latest bios they have I
>have already updated.

assuming that your board is the SY-P4I 845PE V1.0
www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=241
latest bios: 2003-06-25

Dennis Mullin

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:05:05 -0400, Soyo Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>scripttron75 wrote:
>
>> Is there a bios upgrade for this MB SY-P4I 845PE V1.0

>Is that the one with 3 ISA slots?

The Soyo website does list a non-ISA version:

SY-P4I 845PE V1.0 (discontinued)
www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=241
latest bios: 2003-06-25

The ISA versions are:

SY-P4I 845PE ISA (discontinued)
SY-P4I 845GE ISA (discontinued)
www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
latest bios: 2004-09-01

SY-P4I 845PE ISA V1.0
www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=327
latest bios: as released

SY-P4I 845PE ISA Plus (coming soon)
SY-P4I 845GV ISA Plus (coming soon)
www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=335

Soyo Guy

Dennis Mullin wrote:

> SY-P4I 845PE ISA Plus (coming soon)
> SY-P4I 845GV ISA Plus (coming soon)
> www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=335

****ing right on!

And they said ISA was dead years ago.

Soon we'll have Prescott-compatible ISA motherboards. Just in time
too - those damn northwoods were begining to be a pain in the ass to
get.

I just hope this is more than vaporware from Soyo.

Soyo should just come out with an ISA motherboard that wasn't so
dependent on Intel CPU's. Say, base it on a windoze-compatible CPU
that will be around for a few years. CPU availability from Intel has
been a pain in the friggin ass for the past 6 years when it comes to
these ISA-equipped motherboards.

Dennis Mullin

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:10:42 -0400, Soyo Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Soyo should just come out with an ISA motherboard that wasn't so
>dependent on Intel CPU's. Say, base it on a windoze-compatible CPU
>that will be around for a few years. CPU availability from Intel has
>been a pain in the friggin ass for the past 6 years when it comes to
>these ISA-equipped motherboards.

Do you mean 6 months rather than years? I've had no problems
finding suitable intel cpu's for the SY-P4I 845PE ISA until this
year.

Soyo did have an AMD cpu based ISA motherboard. The
SY-K7VTA Pro V1.0 was discontinued last year. Top cpu
for it was the Athlon XP2600+

Soyo Guy

Dennis Mullin wrote:

> > CPU availability from Intel has been a pain in the friggin ass
> > for the past 6 years when it comes to these ISA-equipped
> > motherboards.

> Do you mean 6 months rather than years? I've had no problems
> finding suitable intel cpu's for the SY-P4I 845PE ISA until
> this year.

It's not just the Soyo P4I I'm talking about.

Between 1997 and 2001 we were using Spacewalker/Shuttle (661V31), Asus
(P299), Epox (EP-61BXA-M), RedFox (Fordlian?) BX6VP2, Gigabyte
GA686LX. IIRC, Slot-1 Intel CPU's became hard to get by early 2001
(the transition from Slot-1 to socket 370 (coppermine) was, or had,
happened).

We then started using ACorp (81P VX and BX). They were Slot-1 but we
were using coppermine P-3's mounted to slocket boards for the
Acorp's. By May 2002 we were having trouble getting the Acorp.

Then the coppermine became hard to get - being replaced by Tualitin.
By January 2003, we were using a Tyan Trinity motherboard (with both
Slot-1 and Socket 370) and mounting tualitin-core socket 370's to
slocket boards because the Trinity's 370 socket wasn't compatible with
Tualitin. There were special slocket convertors to adapt Tualitin for
use on Coppermine motherboards. Then (naturally) the socket 370's
were discontinued.

By March 2004 (to the present) we were building systems with the Soyo
845PE ISA's. Still have about 15 of them, with 2.6 Ghz Celerons
(which I think Intel is still making -?). Recently had to scratch
around for 8 P-4's (northwood, 2.53 ghz).

I can see why Soyo has stopped making the P4I - there's no friggen
CPU's available for them any more! (and hasn't been for the past 6
months - I'm still not sure of Celeron availability though, but I
don't think it's solid).

SuperMicro has a 3-ISA P-4 motherboard (but it too is limited to
Northwood) but at least it will do 800 MHZ FSB (the Soyo only does 533
max). It has on-board video and SATA.

I didn't think that anyone was going to make a Prescott motherboard
with ISA. I'm glad to see that Soyo will (any idea about
availability?).

> Soyo did have an AMD cpu based ISA motherboard. The
> SY-K7VTA Pro V1.0 was discontinued last year. Top cpu
> for it was the Athlon XP2600+

I wasn't aware of that one, but we've had some bad experiences with
non-intel CPU's in the past (system stability) which in hindsight was
either caused by poor heatsink or bad video drivers (we stopped using
ATI 4 years ago and switched to NVidia).

Soyo Guy

Dennis Mullin wrote:

> SY-P4I 845PE ISA Plus (coming soon)
> SY-P4I 845GV ISA Plus (coming soon)
> www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=335

Now that I have a good look, those boards actually suck.

Just a minimal modification to support S478 Prescott (which might all
ready be discontinued).

What Soyo needs to do is come out with a Socket-775 version before
that CPU becomes discontinued.

BH71 BIOS and Celeron D problems ( but 845PE should run this CPU ) Andrea Giammarchi Abit 0 04-12-2005 05:52 PM
P4E (800 MHz) in 845PE mobo R. J. Salvi Abit 6 10-21-2004 07:48 PM
No sound from 2 new 845PE boards Dennis Gordon Gigabyte 0 03-04-2004 01:08 PM
845PE vs 865PE? Husker Asus 8 02-27-2004 04:38 AM
845pe & P4 800 mhz support? Moosey Gigabyte 4 11-15-2003 10:04 AM