BIOS v2.7 for NF7-S v2.0 - Can't enter BIOS after flash

OaM

Hi dear Abit users community!

I downloaded the latest v2.7 BIOS from Abit and flashed it to my board.
It went fine, I used a bootdisk and the runme.bat Abit provided. No
errors anywhere.

But now when I press DEL in bootup to enter BIOS setup I only get a
black screen with a blue line in bottom. I can not enter the setup.

If I let the PC to go on with the bootup it sets the CPU speed to
1000Mhz and complains about wrong settings in BIOS. But to correct them
I would need to enter BIOS... which I cannot do like I described.

For the record, also the v2.6 BIOS does this to me. The v2.5 BIOS is the
last one that works perfectly, with it I can wenter BIOS setup.

Where would You suggest I look for solution?

Thanks,
Oam

Richard Hopkins

"OaM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cp1bv8$cmj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I downloaded the latest v2.7 BIOS from Abit and flashed it to my
> board...
>
> But now when I press DEL in bootup to enter BIOS setup I only get
> a black screen with a blue line in bottom. I can not enter the setup.

Two things to check here:

Firstly, reset the CMOS with the jumper if you didn't do so after the BIOS
flash, then see if there's any difference.

If that doesn't help, the most likely cause will be electrical noise from
one of the fans you've got connected to the motherboard crashing the system
monitor chip. Starting with the CPU fan, either connect the fan direct to
one of the PSU plugs, or remove its RPM monitoring lead from the plug before
reconnecting it to the motherboard. Try restarting the system after changing
each fan and you'll soon find which is responsible for the problem.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

0_Qed

OaM wrote:
....snip...
> Where would You suggest I look for solution?

Open 'RTFM' , ID the CMOS clear jumper location ...
open case, "apply" same for 20 secs +\-, =replace= cmos jumper ...
reboot & retry CMOS entry.

'This' aughta get you the default parm set ,
redo back to your original cmos set up .

?Sounds? like your stored CMOS 'parms' changed locations, a bit ...
old ones 'showing' up where they aughtn.

The 'blue line' was also symptomatic of the cpu fan 'pulse' interfering
with video ... remove same, apply about 3 twists per inch of cbl,
attempt to re_route around edge of mobo ... away from vid signals ...
or ...
apply the split core gizzmo that may have shipped with the mobo ...
2 to 3 wraps, assemble split core.

Qed.

Joe

When you are resetting the CMOS it dosent hurt to turn off your power supply
and pull the power cord plug from the back before resetting. On occasion
these few extra steps have made a difference.

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41b442cb$0$19157$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "OaM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cp1bv8$cmj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I downloaded the latest v2.7 BIOS from Abit and flashed it to my
>> board...
>>
>> But now when I press DEL in bootup to enter BIOS setup I only get
>> a black screen with a blue line in bottom. I can not enter the setup.

> Two things to check here:
>
> Firstly, reset the CMOS with the jumper if you didn't do so after the BIOS
> flash, then see if there's any difference.

<snip>

OaM

> Open 'RTFM' , ID the CMOS clear jumper location ...
> open case, "apply" same for 20 secs +\-, =replace= cmos jumper ...
> reboot & retry CMOS entry.

I did that, I just failed to mention it. So this was not the problem.

> The 'blue line' was also symptomatic of the cpu fan 'pulse' interfering
> with video ... remove same, apply about 3 twists per inch of cbl,
> attempt to re_route around edge of mobo ... away from vid signals ...
> or ...
> apply the split core gizzmo that may have shipped with the mobo ...
> 2 to 3 wraps, assemble split core.
>
> Qed.

This was the reason I believe. The CPU fan. I changed the fans speed and
put the power chord to a different connector in mobo. Now the problem is
gone.

Btw, what is a split core gizzmo??

thanks,
Oam

Wblane

Isn't the split-core gizmo just an inductor? As such I guess it would greatly
reduce any voltage spikes on the line?