Biostar M6VLR

Moderately Confused

Ok, so I know it's not the best board in the world, but its worked for me so
far, and its been pretty stable. I'm running a PIII 800 Mhz chip in it and
I've managed to get it to run stable at 915 Mhz. My question is, is there a
way to change the voltage with a Biostar mobo? I've been through all of the
settings in the bios and the only thing I could find is the FSB. I also
don't see any jumpers on the board itself.

Here is a link to the site:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/m...hp3?name=M6VLR

Thanks,

MC

Jim

If the mobo voltages are alterable, it will be via jumpers and/or the BIOS.
A quick glance of the manual shows neither option.

The only hope is a "voltage mod", which is sometimes done by the enthusiasts
crowd. Of course, this involves physically altering the mobo w/ resistors,
soldering, etc.! Not for the faint hearted. And mostly reserved for
popular, high-end mobo's anyway (iow, such a mod probably doesn't exist for
your mobo).

Short of these options, I don't know any other.

HTH

Jim

"Moderately Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, so I know it's not the best board in the world, but its worked for me

so
> far, and its been pretty stable. I'm running a PIII 800 Mhz chip in it

and
> I've managed to get it to run stable at 915 Mhz. My question is, is there

> way to change the voltage with a Biostar mobo? I've been through all of

the
> settings in the bios and the only thing I could find is the FSB. I also
> don't see any jumpers on the board itself.
>
> Here is a link to the site:
> http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/m...hp3?name=M6VLR
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC

David Maynard

Jim wrote:

> If the mobo voltages are alterable, it will be via jumpers and/or the BIOS.
> A quick glance of the manual shows neither option.
>
> The only hope is a "voltage mod", which is sometimes done by the enthusiasts
> crowd. Of course, this involves physically altering the mobo w/ resistors,
> soldering, etc.! Not for the faint hearted. And mostly reserved for
> popular, high-end mobo's anyway (iow, such a mod probably doesn't exist for
> your mobo).
>
> Short of these options, I don't know any other.

The safest way is by jumpering the VID pins on the processor itself.

The method I use it to strip a single wire from a ribbon cable and use a
safety pin to punch holes though it, making sure it goes through the center
of the wire bundle (not a trivial exercise). You then push the wire onto
the desired pins.

It's non destructive, if you don't slip and bend a pin, and
removable/modifiable.

You can only tie a pin to ground that way (would have to break or insulate
a pin to get a high), so not all voltage choices are available but there's
usually one close enough.

> HTH
>
> Jim
>

> "Moderately Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Ok, so I know it's not the best board in the world, but its worked for me

> so
>
>>far, and its been pretty stable. I'm running a PIII 800 Mhz chip in it

> and
>
>>I've managed to get it to run stable at 915 Mhz. My question is, is there

>>way to change the voltage with a Biostar mobo? I've been through all of

> the
>
>>settings in the bios and the only thing I could find is the FSB. I also
>>don't see any jumpers on the board itself.
>>
>>Here is a link to the site:
>>http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/m...hp3?name=M6VLR
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>MC

Moderately Confused

"David Maynard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim wrote:
>
> > If the mobo voltages are alterable, it will be via jumpers and/or the

BIOS.
> > A quick glance of the manual shows neither option.
> >
> > The only hope is a "voltage mod", which is sometimes done by the

enthusiasts
> > crowd. Of course, this involves physically altering the mobo w/

resistors,
> > soldering, etc.! Not for the faint hearted. And mostly reserved for
> > popular, high-end mobo's anyway (iow, such a mod probably doesn't exist

for
> > your mobo).
> >
> > Short of these options, I don't know any other.

> The safest way is by jumpering the VID pins on the processor itself.
>
> The method I use it to strip a single wire from a ribbon cable and use a
> safety pin to punch holes though it, making sure it goes through the

center
> of the wire bundle (not a trivial exercise). You then push the wire onto
> the desired pins.
>
> It's non destructive, if you don't slip and bend a pin, and
> removable/modifiable.
>
> You can only tie a pin to ground that way (would have to break or insulate
> a pin to get a high), so not all voltage choices are available but there's
> usually one close enough.
>

> > HTH
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > "Moderately Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Ok, so I know it's not the best board in the world, but its worked for

me

> > so
> >
> >>far, and its been pretty stable. I'm running a PIII 800 Mhz chip in it

> > and
> >
> >>I've managed to get it to run stable at 915 Mhz. My question is, is

there

> >>way to change the voltage with a Biostar mobo? I've been through all of

> > the
> >
> >>settings in the bios and the only thing I could find is the FSB. I also
> >>don't see any jumpers on the board itself.
> >>
> >>Here is a link to the site:
> >>http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/m...hp3?name=M6VLR
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>MC

Thanks all, I guess I'll have to settle for what I've got for now.

MC

Biostar Old Gringo Biostar 0 08-22-2004 03:08 PM
Biostar M7NCD versus Abit AN7 Mr. Brian Allen Biostar 1 04-30-2004 04:33 PM
Biostar iDEQ 200V Laurent Biostar 0 12-31-2003 09:55 AM
Biostar M7VIW and GeForce 4 MX 440 Andrew Pierce Biostar 2 09-24-2003 04:44 PM
No boot or POST on Biostar M7VKB and M7VKD boards Rick Baumhauer Biostar 0 07-07-2003 07:27 PM