BIOSTAR N4SLI-A9 Won't Power Up

gary.huntress@gmail.com

My sons friend bought a biostar n4sli-a9 along with a new case, cpu,
mem and vid card. He physically put everything together and has been
unable to get it to power up. He's asked me for help and I'm stuck.
Here's the details.

The case he bought had the wrong power supply, 20 pin instead of 24.
I know he tried to power it up at least once. I tend to doubt this
fried anything, but you never know

He got a correct 24 pin (plus 4 pin aux) power supply and put that in
with no luck. No fans no lights, nothing. The power supply fan does
not come on at all.

He brought it to me for help. I unplugged everything and inspected
his connections. He attached the mobo to the case using 4 screws with
insulators on the top but nothing on the bottom. This meant that the
mobo had no standoffs from the bottom of the case. The edge away from
the back of the case was definitely flexing, but not too much really.
I doubt this was enough to physically crack the board but it's possible
that he may have been grounding out something on the bottom.

I took the mobo completely out of the case, connected the 24 main power
and the 4 pin aux power, and plugged in the power supply....nothing.
I also unplugged the mobo and ran the power supply totally
bare.....nothing!!

Did he fry a brand new 400 watt PS *and* his mobo?? This seems
unlikely, but how can I troubleshoot this??

Thanks for any help. This was the kids man xmas present this year and
he's really bummed out!!

Gary

Wes Newell

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:09:08 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> My sons friend bought a biostar n4sli-a9 along with a new case, cpu,
> mem and vid card. He physically put everything together and has been
> unable to get it to power up. He's asked me for help and I'm stuck.
> Here's the details.
>
> The case he bought had the wrong power supply, 20 pin instead of 24.
> I know he tried to power it up at least once. I tend to doubt this
> fried anything, but you never know

This wouldn't do any harm at all, unless he plugged the 20 pin connector
at the wrong end. Then there's no telling what might have happened.

> He got a correct 24 pin (plus 4 pin aux) power supply and put that in
> with no luck. No fans no lights, nothing. The power supply fan does
> not come on at all.

Not a good sign.

> He brought it to me for help. I unplugged everything and inspected
> his connections. He attached the mobo to the case using 4 screws with
> insulators on the top but nothing on the bottom. This meant that the
> mobo had no standoffs from the bottom of the case. The edge away from
> the back of the case was definitely flexing, but not too much really. I
> doubt this was enough to physically crack the board but it's possible
> that he may have been grounding out something on the bottom.

I had one guy do this and it didn't kill anything, but I was really amazed
it didn't blow everything with all the pins shorting on the case. Maybe
your friend wasn't so lucky.

> I took the mobo completely out of the case, connected the 24 main power
> and the 4 pin aux power, and plugged in the power supply....nothing. I
> also unplugged the mobo and ran the power supply totally
> bare.....nothing!!

And you're sure you shorted the power pins on the MB to start it?

> Did he fry a brand new 400 watt PS *and* his mobo?? This seems
> unlikely, but how can I troubleshoot this??

A 400W PSU may be too weak. Suggest 500W minimum.

> Thanks for any help. This was the kids man xmas present this year and
> he's really bummed out!!

I can imagine. Are you sure he has the right cpu in it?

andrew C.

remove all card from mainboard and then try it, sounds like you might have a
bad card in that agp or pci express slot!!!if that dont work the try another
power supply.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My sons friend bought a biostar n4sli-a9 along with a new case, cpu,
> mem and vid card. He physically put everything together and has been
> unable to get it to power up. He's asked me for help and I'm stuck.
> Here's the details.
>
> The case he bought had the wrong power supply, 20 pin instead of 24.
> I know he tried to power it up at least once. I tend to doubt this
> fried anything, but you never know
>
> He got a correct 24 pin (plus 4 pin aux) power supply and put that in
> with no luck. No fans no lights, nothing. The power supply fan does
> not come on at all.
>
> He brought it to me for help. I unplugged everything and inspected
> his connections. He attached the mobo to the case using 4 screws with
> insulators on the top but nothing on the bottom. This meant that the
> mobo had no standoffs from the bottom of the case. The edge away from
> the back of the case was definitely flexing, but not too much really.
> I doubt this was enough to physically crack the board but it's possible
> that he may have been grounding out something on the bottom.
>
> I took the mobo completely out of the case, connected the 24 main power
> and the 4 pin aux power, and plugged in the power supply....nothing.
> I also unplugged the mobo and ran the power supply totally
> bare.....nothing!!
>
> Did he fry a brand new 400 watt PS *and* his mobo?? This seems
> unlikely, but how can I troubleshoot this??
>
> Thanks for any help. This was the kids man xmas present this year and
> he's really bummed out!!
>
> Gary

Biostar t-power I45 with 2 sepurate x16 nvidia cards? higgylm Biostar 0 05-31-2009 11:43 AM
Biostar Old Gringo Biostar 0 08-22-2004 03:08 PM
Biostar M7NCD versus Abit AN7 Mr. Brian Allen Biostar 1 04-30-2004 04:33 PM
Biostar iDEQ 200V Laurent Biostar 0 12-31-2003 09:55 AM
No boot or POST on Biostar M7VKB and M7VKD boards Rick Baumhauer Biostar 0 07-07-2003 07:27 PM