blinding webcam

Linea Recta

I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on a
laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have time to make
one myself.
On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This ensures
prevention of spying.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

BillW50

In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl,
Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
> a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
> time to make one myself.
> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
> of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
> This ensures prevention of spying.

On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you know
when it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off. Does
yours have a light too?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

Linea Recta

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:ht6ln6$sdg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl,
> Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
>> a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
>> time to make one myself.
>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
>> of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
>> This ensures prevention of spying.

> On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you know when
> it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off. Does yours have
> a light too?

Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on the
laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one never
knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the green light
etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it paranoid?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

BillW50

In news:4bf6e327$0$22937$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl,
Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 21:46:43 +0200:
> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:ht6ln6$sdg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl,
>> Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
>>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam
>>> on a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
>>> time to make one myself.
>>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a
>>> sort of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in
>>> use. This ensures prevention of spying.

>> On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you
>> know when it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off.
>> Does yours have a light too?

> Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light
> on the laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight.
> Besides, one never knows what software tricks are going to be played,
> disabling the green light etc. So I need a physical solution. You
> might call it paranoid?

Yes I understand. My ex-GF wanted me to leave mine on all of the time.
And I would throw a towel over my webcam when I was going to take a
shower. lol

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

TJ

lol

Rich Greenberg

In article <4bf6e327$0$22937$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
Linea Recta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on the
>laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one never
>knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the green light
>etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it paranoid?

A bit of duct tape over the lens?

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L

Linea Recta

"Rich Greenberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:ht7e9e$2ul$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <4bf6e327$0$22937$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
> Linea Recta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on
>>the
>>laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one
>>never
>>knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the green
>>light
>>etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it paranoid?

> A bit of duct tape over the lens?

I don't like that solution very much. It may become very hard to clean the
lens later on.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

P.V.

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:4bf8076c$0$22938$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl ...
>> A bit of duct tape over the lens?
>>

> I don't like that solution very much. It may become very hard to clean the
> lens later on.

I was going to suggest tape too, though masking tape, but decided not to
because on a second thought it didn't sound like a very cool idea... Anyway,
a tape-based solution would work for me -- on my laptop the lens is so deep
in a hole that tape would never touch it.

If on your laptop the lens is more vulnerable you could tear or cut a small
(meaning something like fingernail-sized) piece of paper or screen-cleaning
cloth, stick it on the tape, and then place the tape on the camera the piece
of paper or cloth facing the lens.

P.V.

BillW50

In news:4bf8076c$0$22938$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl,
Linea Recta typed on Sat, 22 May 2010 18:33:44 +0200:
> "Rich Greenberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:ht7e9e$2ul$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <4bf6e327$0$22937$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
>> Linea Recta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led
>>> light on the laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad
>>> daylight. Besides, one never knows what software tricks are going to
>>> be played, disabling the green light etc. So I need a physical
>>> solution. You might call it paranoid?

>> A bit of duct tape over the lens?

> I don't like that solution very much. It may become very hard to
> clean the lens later on.

How about one of those small clips they sell in grocery stores and such
to reclose snack bags?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

ps56k

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4bf6e327$0$22937$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:ht6ln6$sdg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl,
>> Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
>>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
>>> a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
>>> time to make one myself.
>>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
>>> of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
>>> This ensures prevention of spying.

>> On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you know
>> when it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off. Does
>> yours have a light too?
>>

> Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on
> the laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one
> never knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the
> green light etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it
> paranoid?

duh - a small piece of masking, electrical, painter tape over the lens -

Ipaq 2200 Webcam / Camera RyanA HP 0 01-03-2005 04:07 PM
CS 330 PC Camera (webcam) - Lost image Paul Christiansen Intel 0 12-01-2004 05:49 PM
Lates Bios for webcam? Eos Packard Bell 5 09-28-2004 02:20 PM
3Com HomeConnect PC Digital WebCam Lite & GA-8KNXP Migel Gigabyte 2 12-01-2003 02:42 AM
Digicam For Webcam Problems Topper PC Hardware 0 09-04-2003 04:10 PM