Blue Tooth Acer Aspire 5630, real or not?

Ralph2

My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.

Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.

I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
$60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.

Any other "this really works good... or not" issues with Blue Tooth...
head sets for one.

And slightly on the same subject (switch).. WTF is 3G as in "no 3G
device"

Thanks
Ralph

Ralph2

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
>up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
>seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
>model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
>
>Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
>reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
>Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
>have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
>
>I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
>$60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.
>
>Any other "this really works good... or not" issues with Blue Tooth...
>head sets for one.
>
>And slightly on the same subject (switch).. WTF is 3G as in "no 3G
>device"
>
>Thanks
>Ralph

For what it is worth.. From Acer support

In the group of Aspire 5630's some units have bluetooth and some do
not. Although there is a button on the notebook for Bluetooth, the
Aspire 5630 models with serial number starting in LX.AXY0X.078 that
ship in the US and Canada do not ship with a Bluetooth module on the
motherboard. Therefore it does not support Bluetooth as it ships. If
you push the BT button you should see No Device on the screen. In
order to get Bluetooth, you will need to purchase a third party device
such as a USB to Bluetooth transceiver, or other external device that
provides Bluetooth capabilities. These type of devices are available
at most computer shops that sell options and accessories for notebook
products. We do not plan to implement an option to install a
Bluetooth module on the motherboard.

DC

Ralph2 wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
>> up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
>> seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
>> model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
>>
>> Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
>> reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
>> Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
>> have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
>>
>> I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
>> $60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.
>>
>> Any other "this really works good... or not" issues with Blue Tooth...
>> head sets for one.
>>
>> And slightly on the same subject (switch).. WTF is 3G as in "no 3G
>> device"
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ralph

> For what it is worth.. From Acer support
>
> In the group of Aspire 5630's some units have bluetooth and some do
> not. Although there is a button on the notebook for Bluetooth, the
> Aspire 5630 models with serial number starting in LX.AXY0X.078 that
> ship in the US and Canada do not ship with a Bluetooth module on the
> motherboard. Therefore it does not support Bluetooth as it ships. If
> you push the BT button you should see No Device on the screen. In
> order to get Bluetooth, you will need to purchase a third party device
> such as a USB to Bluetooth transceiver, or other external device that
> provides Bluetooth capabilities. These type of devices are available
> at most computer shops that sell options and accessories for notebook
> products. We do not plan to implement an option to install a
> Bluetooth module on the motherboard.

Another way to check, and much easier, is to simply look on the bottom
of the computer. If there is a Bluetooth license tag, the computer
shipped with BT. If the computer does not have the Bluetooth label, it
did not.

A Nother

"Ralph2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
>>up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
>>seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
>>model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
>>
>>Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
>>reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
>>Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
>>have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
>>
>>I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
>>$60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.

You can get a USB Bluetooth dongle for about $7 or and internal one for $30
for some models - try eBay.

Ralph2

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:20:28 GMT, "A Nother" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Ralph2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:37:35 GMT, Ralph2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My Acer Aspire 5630 - has a Blue Tooth switch that when used brings
>>>up a message on the screen stating " No Blue Tooth Device". There
>>>seems to be a lack of, or conflicting information, as to whether this
>>>model is or is not Blue Tooth enabled.
>>>
>>>Does any one have definitive info on this model, or where to look. One
>>>reference stated it would be listed in the Device Manager.. not
>>>Another stated there would be a Blue Tooth logo on the underside, I
>>>have none that I would recognize as a Blue Tooth symbol.
>>>
>>>I like the idea of a Blue Tooth mouse but am hesitant to spend the
>>>$60.00 just to find out this model just has a "dummy" switch.

>You can get a USB Bluetooth dongle for about $7 or and internal one for $30
>for some models - try eBay.

Thanks to all.
Unfortunately... mine did not ship with Blue Tooth <sigh>

Blue tooth Headset on Inspirion 6000 Hawk Dell 2 06-24-2006 01:09 AM
Hp blue tooth Randy HP 2 09-06-2005 07:00 AM
How do I turn off Blue Tooth on the M200? Steve Tablet PC 1 08-18-2004 04:27 PM
blue tooth and tablet pc dlazenby Tablet PC 3 04-24-2004 06:57 PM
Blue Tooth and 845PE fisr MSI 6704 Superkev MSI 1 10-31-2003 10:50 AM