bm6 boot after new battery?

chuck schroeder

Bird,

I've got a new cmos battery installed in my BM6 and time/dates are
solid, but after saving default settings, the win xp device manager
says IDE drives are SCCI including the cdrom? The hard drives seem to
work except the cdrom. I tried uninstall but they came back SCCI. All
worked OK before the battery change. Any fix suggestions? Thanks!

Chuck

Bird JanitorŪ

chuck schroeder wrote:

| Bird,
|
| I've got a new cmos battery installed in my BM6 and time/dates
| are solid, but after saving default settings, the win xp device
| manager says IDE drives are SCCI including the cdrom? The
| hard drives seem to work except the cdrom. I tried uninstall but
| they came back SCCI. All worked OK before the battery change.
| Any fix suggestions? Thanks!
|
| Chuck

Hi Chuck -

Few suggestions.

When you changed your motherboard battery, your CMOS settings, which are
maintained by the battery when the PSU is shut off, were lost.

Probably a good idea, just to be safe, to manually clear the CMOS with the
CCMOS1 jumper (or whatever it is labeled on the BM6) with power again
removed from the PSU in advance.

After clearing, restore power and start the system. Reprogram the CMOS
memory, starting with Load Setup Defaults followed by IDE Hard Disk
Detection. Afterward, check that your Integrated Peripherals section is set
up correctly, as well as any other customizations you made to the BIOS.

Save and Exit and allow Windows to boot normally.

Check Device Manager. It's entirely possible your IDE devices will still be
showing as SCSI. This is a quirk with Windows. One way to resolve this is
to right-click and remove your disk controllers from Device Manager and
reboot the system. Hopefully the Add Hardware Wizard will sort things out
when the system reboots to Windows.

Jef

chuck schroeder

Bird,

Thanks for the advice and bringing me back to speed. It's been a while
since I've had to play with this. I discovered that I had loaded
software ide drivers. After uninstalling them I was back to "IDE"
drives! Thanks much!

Chuck

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:03:26 GMT, "Bird JanitorŪ"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>chuck schroeder wrote:
>|
>| Bird,
>|
>| I've got a new cmos battery installed in my BM6 and time/dates
>| are solid, but after saving default settings, the win xp device
>| manager says IDE drives are SCCI including the cdrom? The
>| hard drives seem to work except the cdrom. I tried uninstall but
>| they came back SCCI. All worked OK before the battery change.
>| Any fix suggestions? Thanks!
>|
>| Chuck

Bird JanitorŪ

chuck schroeder wrote:

| Bird,
|
| Thanks for the advice and bringing me back to speed. It's been a
| while since I've had to play with this. I discovered that I had loaded
| software ide drivers. After uninstalling them I was back to "IDE"
| drives! Thanks much!
|
| Chuck

Hi Chuck -

Question (because I'm too lazy to download the manual):

Does the BM6 have a VIA chipset?

If so, your solution has been reported widely: the VIA IDE driver can cause
this problem with certain chipsets and the default Microsoft IDE driver
sorts it out.

Glad to hear you've found your solution.

Jef

Bird JanitorŪ

Bird Janitor wrote:

| Does the BM6 have a VIA chipset?

Answered my own question. A quick Google revealed:

| The BM6 was designed with Intel's performance 440BX chipset.

IDE support would, obviously, be installed with the Intel INF Update Utility
for this chipset.

I guess there are issues with more than just the VIA and nVidia IDE drivers
under certain circumstances.

Jef

BM6 + Radeon 9600??? Todd Prickett Abit 3 10-16-2004 10:19 PM
Please help: BM6 + tualatin celeron + Lin-lin adapter = NO LOVE! Jesse Greenawalt Abit 2 06-27-2004 03:04 PM
Could a BM6/BE6 handle Gigabit ethernet? Gareth Jones Abit 5 05-02-2004 10:23 PM
Maximum HD for BM6? Apache Abit 1 12-10-2003 12:15 AM
Abit BM6 failing ? Rick Abit 5 11-30-2003 03:02 PM