board recommendation please

E Taylor

I use a Leadtek A340T G-Force FX5200 at the moment, on XP.

It's fine for almost everything I do, including Macromedia apps,
Autocad, Photoshop, etc..

The problem is, it doesn't do well visually with older games I used
to run on Win98, and which I still like to boot to Win98 and use.
These don't look nearly as good as what they did with an old 64MB AGP
Radeon 8500 or even older PCI 16MB Banshee, not to mention a couple
inbetween.

I realize these older cards were meant to deal with the older games,
but is there a modern card that would provide me the mix I want?

Thanks for reading.

GinTonix

"E Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti viestissä
news:4288f7b3$0$40174$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use a Leadtek A340T G-Force FX5200 at the moment, on XP.
>
> It's fine for almost everything I do, including Macromedia apps,
> Autocad, Photoshop, etc..
>
> The problem is, it doesn't do well visually with older games I used
> to run on Win98, and which I still like to boot to Win98 and use.
> These don't look nearly as good as what they did with an old 64MB AGP
> Radeon 8500 or even older PCI 16MB Banshee, not to mention a couple
> inbetween.
>
> I realize these older cards were meant to deal with the older games,
> but is there a modern card that would provide me the mix I want?

Go to your scrap pile, dig out the 8500 and reinstall :-)

Seriously, I think it would not necessarily be a step backwards.

--
gt

ofn01

E Taylor wrote:
> I use a Leadtek A340T G-Force FX5200 at the moment, on XP.
>
> It's fine for almost everything I do, including Macromedia apps,
> Autocad, Photoshop, etc..
>
> The problem is, it doesn't do well visually with older games I used to
> run on Win98, and which I still like to boot to Win98 and use.
> These don't look nearly as good as what they did with an old 64MB AGP
> Radeon 8500 or even older PCI 16MB Banshee, not to mention a couple
> inbetween.
>
> I realize these older cards were meant to deal with the older games, but
> is there a modern card that would provide me the mix I want?
>
> Thanks for reading.

An FX5200 is less powerful than a Radeon 8500 (though the FX5200 does
support DX9 whereas I believe the 8500 is just a DX8 card). Looking at
this page : http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

FX5200: M/pixels 1000, M/texels 1000, Mem bandwidth 6.4Gb/s
R 8500: M/pixels 1100, M/texels 2200, Mem bandwidth 8.6Gb/s

Also I think that there is a belief that Radeons generally do image
quality better than Geforce cards, though I've owned both in the past
and not personally seen much difference.