Boot from CD with COMPAQ EVO D510 e-PC

rapaz

Hi

I have just bought a Compaq EVO D150 e-PC computer and I´m trying to
reinstall the operation system. I´ve just updated de BIOS to the last
revision.

The problem is that, even I set the correct option in BIOS (first boot
device CD/DVD) the computer boots from HDD. I have just tried with
diferent operation systems, diferent CDs (I´m sure the cds are ok).

F8 and the computer only shows two options boot from LAN or boot from
HDD.

Thanks
-Ramón

Earl F. Parrish

"rapaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hi

I have just bought a Compaq EVO D150 e-PC computer and I´m trying to
reinstall the operation system. I´ve just updated de BIOS to the
last
revision.

The problem is that, even I set the correct option in BIOS (first
boot
device CD/DVD) the computer boots from HDD. I have just tried with
diferent operation systems, diferent CDs (I´m sure the cds are ok).

F8 and the computer only shows two options boot from LAN or boot
from
HDD.

Thanks
-Ramón

Did you notice a note saying Hit any key to boot from CD? This is
there in case you leave a bootable CD in the drive when you
shutdown.

--
Earl F. Parrish

rapaz

Hi

I didn´t notice anything, where is the note, before or after the
message "Push F8 to ..."

thanks

regards,
-Ramón

Earl F. Parrish ha escrito:

> "rapaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi
>
> I have just bought a Compaq EVO D150 e-PC computer and I´m trying to
> reinstall the operation system. I´ve just updated de BIOS to the
> last
> revision.
>
> The problem is that, even I set the correct option in BIOS (first
> boot
> device CD/DVD) the computer boots from HDD. I have just tried with
> diferent operation systems, diferent CDs (I´m sure the cds are ok).
>

> F8 and the computer only shows two options boot from LAN or boot
> from
> HDD.
>
> Thanks
> -Ramón
>
> Did you notice a note saying Hit any key to boot from CD? This is
> there in case you leave a bootable CD in the drive when you
> shutdown.
>
> --
> Earl F. Parrish

Patty

On 21 Mar 2006 00:27:09 -0800, rapaz wrote:

> Hi
>
> I didn´t notice anything, where is the note, before or after the
> message "Push F8 to ..."
>
> thanks
>
> regards,
> -Ramón

On my Compaq Deskpro it comes on the screen just before the computer boots
to the OS on the hard drive, right after the Compaq splash screen, and if
you don't have that set, just after the BIOS is finished doing its thing.
It gives you a message and a few seconds to press any key to boot from the
CD.

Usually F8 allows you to get a menu boot for your OS (some of the options
are normal, safe mode, command prompt, etc.), so I would think it would be
before that.

Patty

rapaz

Hi

I´ve tested but it doesn´t show me that message. I updated the BIOS
with the last revision, the options are the same, set the order of the
boot devices .. and so on.

thanks
-Ramón

Earl F. Parrish

"rapaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hi

I´ve tested but it doesn´t show me that message. I updated the BIOS
with the last revision, the options are the same, set the order of
the
boot devices .. and so on.

thanks
-Ramón

From what CD-ROM are you trying to boot? All the Windows XP CD-ROMs
are bootable. The Compaq Evo series came with a Restore CD which
would reformat the hard drive and restore the computer to its out of
the box state. You might also need to turn on the boot from floppy
option since the CD-ROM emulates a virtual floppy drive.

Does the BIOS list a CD drive as being present during the Power On
Self Test? The Compaq logo might be hiding the prompt for CD-ROM
boot. Can you choose the boot device from the initial display after
holding down F8 during the boot process? You may have to be fast
before it goes to the next screen. Try the Pause key.

--
Earl F. Parrish

rapaz

Hi

I´m trying to boot from a SUSE Linux CD (it works, I´ve tested it in
another computer). You´re rigth, the BIOS doesn´t list the CD DRIVE
during the Power ON self test, but the CD ROM works after the systems
comes from the HDD.

I´ve bought the computer (second hand) to use it with Linux.

After I noticed the problem, I updated the BIOS, but it´s the same.

I´ve turn off the Compag logo (one option of the BIOS, and turn off
the USB Floppy. It doesn´t work. The problem is that the BIOS doesnt
detect teh second slave (the CD ROM).

thanks
-Ramón

rapaz

Hi

I´ve read that there is one utility called Computer Configuration that
can be acceses by F10 on startup. The problem is that I can see the
message to push F10, the documentation says that in the lower rigth
corner there will a message F10=Configuration but I cant see.

I have updated the BIOS may it has to do with it?

Thanks

Junior Member

thanx plllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllse

Junior Member

I have the same problem with the HP Compaq computer.. but I found out what is wrong.

You need to activate "Boot from removable media" in BIOS.

First, turn on the computer, and go into setup (usually F10)

Then, go to "Storage" and then "Storage Options"

Under that, there should be "Removable Media Boot"

Make sure that is enabled, and then accept it and save and exit.

There you go.. It should boot. Hope that helps.