boot device not found please insert boot media or select correct bootdevice

timO'

P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
XP pro sp2
i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
sit by the PC after I booted.
So maybe something autoran.
Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
commissioning the PC.
It went through the entire process but still no boot.
The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
there were no IDE devices detected.
I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
started up fine.
I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
voltages off the PSU.

I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
replacing the PSU or the c Drive
did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
thanks

Ed Medlin

"timO'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
> XP pro sp2
> i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
> i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
> sit by the PC after I booted.
> So maybe something autoran.
> Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
> The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
> commissioning the PC.
> It went through the entire process but still no boot.
> The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
> it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
> The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
> there were no IDE devices detected.
> I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
> started up fine.
> I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
> down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
> voltages off the PSU.
>
> I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
> replacing the PSU or the c Drive
> did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
> thanks

I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening and then I would suspect
a MB issue. It appears your boot order had changed somehow or the bios
needed to redetect your devices.

Ed

timO'

On Jun 14, 8:05 am, "Ed Medlin" <ed@ edmedlin.com> wrote:
> "timO'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
> > XP pro sp2
> > i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
> > i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
> > sit by the PC after I booted.
> > So maybe something autoran.
> > Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
> > The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
> > commissioning the PC.
> > It went through the entire process but still no boot.
> > The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
> > it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
> > The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
> > there were no IDE devices detected.
> > I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
> > started up fine.
> > I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
> > down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
> > voltages off the PSU.

> > I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
> > replacing the PSU or the c Drive
> > did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
> > thanks

> I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening and then I would suspect
> a MB issue. It appears your boot order had changed somehow or the bios
> needed to redetect your devices.
>
> Ed

Thanks for the info.Someone had suggested the boot 'sector', but not
the boot 'sequence'.
the system had been running perfectly for over a year so I'll wait and
see what happens.
I am unaware of a ASUS P5WD2E-PREMIUM user group, but this here group
and the Google XP one are pretty useful.
Thanks again for the feedback

timO'

On Jun 14, 9:05 am, "timO'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 8:05 am, "Ed Medlin" <ed@ edmedlin.com> wrote:
>

> > "timO'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
> > > XP pro sp2
> > > i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
> > > i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
> > > sit by the PC after I booted.
> > > So maybe something autoran.
> > > Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
> > > The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
> > > commissioning the PC.
> > > It went through the entire process but still no boot.
> > > The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
> > > it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
> > > The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
> > > there were no IDE devices detected.
> > > I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
> > > started up fine.
> > > I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
> > > down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
> > > voltages off the PSU.

> > > I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
> > > replacing the PSU or the c Drive
> > > did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
> > > thanks

> > I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening and then I would suspect
> > a MB issue. It appears your boot order had changed somehow or the bios
> > needed to redetect your devices.

> > Ed

> Thanks for the info.Someone had suggested the boot 'sector', but not
> the boot 'sequence'.
> the system had been running perfectly for over a year so I'll wait and
> see what happens.
> I am unaware of a ASUS P5WD2E-PREMIUM user group, but this here group
> and the Google XP one are pretty useful.
> Thanks again for the feedback

Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
step through them?

Ed Medlin

> Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
> PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
> the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
> getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
> to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
> the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
> step through them?

Not if it is happening at the bios level. There should be a setting
somewhere in the 'Boot' section of the bios to turn off "Full Screen Logo"
or something to that effect. That will turn off the AM logo and you can see
more of the details of the bios detection of hardware etc. Most folks want
to speed that up......:-).... It is good to at least see that all your
drives are being detected and all that. All the logo does is hide the bios
post for a few seconds.

Ed

timO'

On Jun 15, 12:07 pm, "Ed Medlin" <ed@ edmedlin.com> wrote:
> > Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
> > PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
> > the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
> > getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
> > to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
> > the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
> > step through them?

> Not if it is happening at the bios level. There should be a setting
> somewhere in the 'Boot' section of the bios to turn off "Full Screen Logo"
> or something to that effect. That will turn off the AM logo and you can see
> more of the details of the bios detection of hardware etc. Most folks want
> to speed that up......:-).... It is good to at least see that all your
> drives are being detected and all that. All the logo does is hide the bios
> post for a few seconds.
>
> Ed

the American Megatrends Logo is not full screen, it is a the top of
the page and all the info shows; only after it reaches a certain point
in the process it scrolls through very fast.
there is a mobo option where the ASUS splash is full screen, but I do
not use that option.