Randolph Jones

I have athlon xp on a gigabyte board running fc4
I began having boot failures on fc3, upgraded to fc4, getting worse.
The video is scrambled on boot, even in bios; del key into bios produces
unreadable dreck
continued boot will hang with unreadable screen
repeated boots (4-5) will eventually produce a running system
This is from a cold machine, a reboot from a runing box will often work
sucessfully, so heat does not seem to be a problem
I have an nvidia gforce2 generic card,
The problem is almost certainly hardware, as it happens before linux
gets a crack at the box
I would really appreciate any advice
TIA
rfjones

Robert Heiling

Randolph Jones wrote:

> I have athlon xp on a gigabyte board running fc4
> I began having boot failures on fc3, upgraded to fc4, getting worse.
> The video is scrambled on boot, even in bios; del key into bios produces
> unreadable dreck
> continued boot will hang with unreadable screen
> repeated boots (4-5) will eventually produce a running system
> This is from a cold machine, a reboot from a runing box will often work
> sucessfully, so heat does not seem to be a problem
> I have an nvidia gforce2 generic card,
> The problem is almost certainly hardware, as it happens before linux
> gets a crack at the box
> I would really appreciate any advice

Your symptoms are almost identical to those that I was having on a
system that I recently replaced the motherboard on to cure. It was
taking several attempts to get past the boot hang and the system had to
warm up before it would go. There was also the trashed video, Once up,
it would run all day, until one day it failed completely and wouldn't
even go into the bios.

How old is your system? Look at the top of the capacitors on the mb. Any
signs of bulging or brown stains on top is indicative of vented
capacitors and is fatal for that mb. If this doesn't fit, then the hw
problem is elsewhere.

Bob

disk failure or SCSI controller failure ? Andrew Tyson Sun Hardware 0 04-16-2004 01:49 AM
KV7 Boot Failure Jeffrey Mulliken Abit 1 01-24-2004 01:55 AM
"Boot From atapi CD-ROM. Boot disk failure" Craig Hardware 3 11-11-2003 09:08 PM
AT7-MAX2 boot failure Gordon Dougal Abit 2 09-14-2003 12:45 PM
NF7-S and P4 3.2GHz system boot failure (a must read) minus200 Abit 5 07-10-2003 06:48 PM