boot stops at 5A

arkentoss@gmail.com

Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
processor,

I've problems while booting the machine..

It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
"F2 for settings 5A"

sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
screen..

I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot

where should i look for solution

thanks in advance
ark

Trent

On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700 (E-Mail Removed) wrote in Message id:
<(E-Mail Removed) om>:

>Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
>processor,
>
>I've problems while booting the machine..
>
>It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
>"F2 for settings 5A"
>
>sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
>screen..
>
>I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot
>
>where should i look for solution

Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"

Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
motherboard.

arkentoss@gmail.com

Trent wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700 (E-Mail Removed) wrote in Message id:
> <(E-Mail Removed) om>:
>
> >Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
> >processor,
> >
> >I've problems while booting the machine..
> >
> >It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
> >"F2 for settings 5A"
> >
> >sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
> >screen..
> >
> >I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot
> >
> >where should i look for solution

> Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"
>
> Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
> required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
> motherboard.

Thanks for replying... I'll try, but how can I reset CMOS..? because
I'm unable to enter to bios setup by pressing F2.. I've installed
Geforce 6600 graphics card, is there any need to remove it...? Also I
forget to mention it early that, I've SATA hard drive..

thanks in advance
ark

Trent

On 11 Jul 2006 09:21:22 -0700 (E-Mail Removed) wrote in Message id:
<(E-Mail Removed) om>:

>Trent wrote:
>> On 10 Jul 2006 05:12:16 -0700 (E-Mail Removed) wrote in Message id:
>> <(E-Mail Removed) om>:
>>
>> >Hi I've Intel D945GNT classic motherboard with Intel P4 3.0 Ghz HT
>> >processor,
>> >
>> >I've problems while booting the machine..
>> >
>> >It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
>> >"F2 for settings 5A"
>> >
>> >sometimes it proceeds but again stops just displaying 5A on black
>> >screen..
>> >
>> >I'm unable to figure out problem because it can't boot
>> >
>> >where should i look for solution

>> Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"
>>
>> Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
>> required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
>> motherboard.

>Thanks for replying... I'll try, but how can I reset CMOS..?

At first I was going to say RTFM, but on closer inspection this board does
not have this feature. You could remove the on-board lithium battery and
short the two terminals of the battery holder for 5 to 10 seconds or so.

For reference, your user manual is here:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...D1406901US.pdf

> because
>I'm unable to enter to bios setup by pressing F2..

That has nothing to do with resetting the CMOS. However, if you set jumper
J7J3 to position 2-3, then power on the board, does it then enter setup?

>I've installed
>Geforce 6600 graphics card, is there any need to remove it...?

Since this MB has onboard VGA, yes - if only to eliminate the video card
as being part of the problem. Plug your monitor into the built-in VGA port
located on the motherboard.

> Also I
>forget to mention it early that, I've SATA hard drive..

Did you try disconnecting it to see if the POST goes any further?

arkentoss@gmail.com

Trent wrote:
> On 11 Jul 2006 09:21:22 -0700 (E-Mail Removed) wrote in Message id:
> <(E-Mail Removed) om>:
>

> >Trent wrote:

> >> Code 5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"
> >>
> >> Try resetting the CMOS. Also, remove any add-in cards that are not
> >> required to get video. Lastly, disconnect the hard drives(s) from the
> >> motherboard.

> >Thanks for replying... I'll try, but how can I reset CMOS..?

> At first I was going to say RTFM, but on closer inspection this board does
> not have this feature. You could remove the on-board lithium battery and
> short the two terminals of the battery holder for 5 to 10 seconds or so.
>
> For reference, your user manual is here:
> ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...D1406901US.pdf
>
> > because
> >I'm unable to enter to bios setup by pressing F2..

> That has nothing to do with resetting the CMOS. However, if you set jumper
> J7J3 to position 2-3, then power on the board, does it then enter setup?
>
> >I've installed
> >Geforce 6600 graphics card, is there any need to remove it...?

> Since this MB has onboard VGA, yes - if only to eliminate the video card
> as being part of the problem. Plug your monitor into the built-in VGA port
> located on the motherboard.
>
> > Also I
> >forget to mention it early that, I've SATA hard drive..

> Did you try disconnecting it to see if the POST goes any further?

Hi, thanks for help..

I'll follow these steps & let u know if it works...

thanks again..

ark

Junior Member

I also have D945GNT with this error. I have SATA hard drives and IDE (PATA) CD and an IDE (PATA) tape drive (Segate Travan 40?), and floppy.
The travan had no power hooked up (forgot to plug in cable).

I simply disconnected the IDE devices (CD and tape drive) and then the board booted to the point that I could go into cmos setup and set the boot order. Everything worked after that.
Moral of the story - Disconnect the IDE devices (simplify).

Junior Member
Location: Shreveport, LA

I discovered something. I just built a new machine on a D975XBX with a Core 2 Quad. I put in an old CD Drive and the machine would hang on 5A but eventually startup if I waited several minutes. When I read here that if you unplug the IDE, the machine might not hang on 5A, I tried that and it worked, it booted in 30 seconds. Since I had a stack of old CD Drives I decided to see if another one would misbehave. Wouldn't you know it, I replaced the CD Drive with another old one and the machine would not hang on 5A, and booted in 30 seconds. The different old CD Drive worked OK so I used it to install the OS. I am gussing that some old CD Drives are not compatible with new BIOS so all that about Resetting CMOS and BIOS is not necessary.

Junior Member

I got the same issue.

running a DG33TL, with a quad core cpu, SATA DVD-RW DL Pioneer, SATA Western digital 500gb Hard Drive.

I just installed a PCI Express video card and encountered the same issue, bios pauses on post code 5A.

Disconnected both my SATA connectors and computer Post successfully. I got the latest bios update.

This is the second PCI Express I installed on this machine both with the same issue, anyone have any suggestions on what might resolve this issue.

Junior Member

Hi I've also an Intel D945GNT classic motherboard

I've the exact same problems while booting the machine..

It stops at the fist screen, with intel logo and displays one line with
"F2 for settings 5A"

I did everything that says in the post but even with all the ides disconnected still shows the 5A on the first screen...

Help please!!!

Junior Member

OK folks... I am running the Intel DG33TL w/Quad Core... I will share what I have learned concerning this 5A issue... I have SATA hard drive and IDE DVD/RW... Running onboard video, I have no issues... After installing a PCIe video card in this machine I encounter the 5A post message hanging issue... Unplugging the IDE DVD/RW does not fix the issue for me... However, after unplugging the SATA hard drive cable, the machine completes post no problem... I have spent hours on the phone with Intel, and they are clueless to this issue... They even went as far as telling me I needed to flash bios on my hard drive (come on, that's ridiculous)... But, I even phoned Western Digital and there is no update for my 400GB SATA drive (and they laughed at the concept of that being the problem, as did I... lol)...

Bottom line... I'm very disappointed with this board at this point; as I'm stuck using onboard video with my Quad-Core and using my ATI HD2600XT upgrade video as a paper weight...

Clearly this is becoming a known issue, and I hope that it is only a matter of time before Intel addresses it... It is clearly a motherboard related issue...

Hope this helps iron out some of the guess work on this issue...

irie111