Boot-time BIOS entry option disappeared

cameo

I've just noticed that the short white-on-black text reminding me what
keys to press to enter the BIOS setup during boot no longer shows up.
Instead, I just see the Win7 logo coming up after a few seconds of black
screen. What could have caused this? It's a tx1000 series HP Pavilion
notebook. Anybody else has experienced this, too?

BillW50

In news:jee6u7$783$(E-Mail Removed),
cameo wrote:
> I've just noticed that the short white-on-black text reminding me what
> keys to press to enter the BIOS setup during boot no longer shows up.
> Instead, I just see the Win7 logo coming up after a few seconds of
> black screen. What could have caused this? It's a tx1000 series HP
> Pavilion notebook. Anybody else has experienced this, too?

Are you sure you pressed the right key fast enough? As once Windows has
started to boot, the opportunity to enter the BIOS setup is gone. And if
you are using an external keyboard, some BIOS won't see them while
Windows still will.

--
Bill

Bob_Villa

On Jan 9, 2:02*am, cameo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've just noticed that the short white-on-black text reminding me what
> keys to press to enter the BIOS setup during boot no longer shows up.
> Instead, I just see the Win7 logo coming up after a few seconds of black
> screen. What could have caused this? It's a tx1000 series HP Pavilion
> notebook. Anybody else has experienced this, too?

Possibly you need a CMOS battery and your BIOS boot screen has
changed. They sometimes can be accessed thru a bottom panel.

cameo

On 1/9/2012 7:36 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

> Possibly you need a CMOS battery and your BIOS boot screen has
> changed. They sometimes can be accessed thru a bottom panel.

Oh, man, I've just fixed the heatsink in this notebook about a month ago
when I had to temporarily remove the battery. I could have easily
replaced it then if I had thought it was too old. But I remember that
after I reassembled the notebook, I was able to get into the BIOS setup
and re-enter the lost CMOS values. So at that time I did see that short
display of "Press Esc to ..., F8 or F10 to enter BIOS setup ..." etc.
text during bootup. But sometime after that the text stopped appearing
and I'm not even sure how to get into BIOS in case I need to change boot
sequence, etc. Before I go ahead and take upart this notebook to get to
the battery, I want to do some research in case there is a simpler solution.

cameo

On 1/9/2012 2:58 AM, BillW50 wrote:
> Are you sure you pressed the right key fast enough? As once Windows has
> started to boot, the opportunity to enter the BIOS setup is gone. And if
> you are using an external keyboard, some BIOS won't see them while
> Windows still will.

No problem there. Normally I would see that display flash for a few
seconds which is plenty time to press one of those keys to enter BIOS setup.

Bob_Villa

On Jan 9, 12:52*pm, cameo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 1/9/2012 7:36 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
>
> > Possibly you need a CMOS battery and your BIOS boot screen has
> > changed. *They sometimes can be accessed thru a bottom panel.

> Oh, man, I've just fixed the heatsink in this notebook about a month ago
> when I had to temporarily remove the battery. I could have easily
> replaced it then if I had thought it was too old. But I remember that
> after I reassembled the notebook, I was able to get into the BIOS setup
> and re-enter the lost CMOS values. So at that time I did see that short
> display of "Press Esc to ..., F8 or F10 to enter BIOS setup ..." etc.
> text during bootup. But sometime after that the text stopped appearing
> and I'm not even sure how to get into BIOS in case I need to change boot
> sequence, etc. Before I go ahead and take upart this notebook to get to
> the battery, I want to do some research in case there is a simpler solution.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=3185025#N213

cameo

On 1/9/2012 12:15 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=3185025#N213

Sorry Bob, but this is old stuff for me. My problem is not what to do in
the BIOS setup, but to get in that darn thing. You did not read what I
wrote before.

cameo

After trying and retrying booting up a few more times I finally managed
to bring up the BIOS setup screen and immediately saw what the problem
was: the BIOS splash screen time for some reason was set to zero instead
of what it used to be: 5 seconds. No wonder I could not hit a key in
time before. Now it's back to 5 secs again and everything is as it used
to be: the required key presses are displayed at the bottom left of the
scree, with the "HP Invent" logo in the center.
I wish I'll never know why the BIOS splash screen display time was reset
to zero secs. By the way, the setup is brought up with either the F10 or
F12 key.

Thanks for the various tips, guys.

Bob_Villa

On Jan 9, 5:01*pm, cameo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 1/9/2012 12:15 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:
>
> >http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...07110&lc=en&cc...

> Sorry Bob, but this is old stuff for me. My problem is not what to do in
> the BIOS setup, but to get in that darn thing. You did not read what I
> wrote before.

This was FYI...in case you didn't have it. Thanks for the
criticism...wad!