Browser connection problem

sarah rosen

I have a win ME PC 733 Mhhz 20 G HD, 256K RAM.

Used to run smoothly.I have cable connection. I called the cable
company and they say the connection is fine.They say it is an IE
problem.

I cannot open IE or Netscape Browser.I get a white window with a blue
border.
There is no window to type an url. I tried AOL ..same problem, The
browser won't open.

An error window opens up:
Explorer has caused an error in(unknown)
Explorer will now close.

Also I get another similar message

HotTray has caused an error in(unknown)
Hottray will now close.

How can I get IE back.
I tried repairing Netscape twice.
Also tried reinstalling it.

I believe I have a boot disk for win 95 and 98 on my pc.

I tried system restore but I get a blank page. it seems like is isn't
working either.

I do not want to lose my files and emails on my PC so I prefer not to
reinstall windows Me.
I did a scandisk too.

Can any one help me PLEASE

I am NOT Technical so please explain the steps in a little detail.

Thanks in advance.

Species

Many places say that this "Hottray" is a "spyware" program:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Hottray

Try pressing the CTRL ALT DELETE keys at the same time, then closing
Hottray if you can. There is probably nothing wrong with your actual web
browsers.

Put Ad Aware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
on your computer and scan it for spyware.

You may like to get The Cleaner too:
http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/
to look for trojans.

You can get an antivirus program from here:
http://www.grisoft.com/

These spyware programs tend cause problems such as you're having