Budget AMD system advice

Toby

Hello all,
I'm new to this group so please be gentle. :-)

I'm thinking of upgrading my pc, I currently have an AMD XP Athlon 3000+
running with 1 gig of DDR 3200 Ram and an Ati 9800 Pro gpu. I was wondering what
you guys would reckon would be the best way to go, given that I have a budget
ceiling of 1000, I'm asking this as I have lost touch with chips etc in the
last 2 years and the latest AMD cpus have confused me somewhat.
Your genuine advice would be most welcome and very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to reply.

#
T.

VanShania

I would say stick with what you got for now unless your noticing some
bottlenecks. If you can setup a raid 0 array and use dual channel memory
maybe try that. But if you have to upgrade, wait till AMD's AM2 standard
comes out in June. Check this read out to help with your decision.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...VudGh1c2lhc3Q=

--
GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5

3DMark 05 Free Scores- Overall 1815, Cpu 4535
Max Performance Graphic Settings, 1024X768

Games I'm Playing- Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground
2,
Civ IV
"Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
> I'm new to this group so please be gentle. :-)
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading my pc, I currently have an AMD XP Athlon 3000+
> running with 1 gig of DDR 3200 Ram and an Ati 9800 Pro gpu. I was
> wondering what
> you guys would reckon would be the best way to go, given that I have a
> budget
> ceiling of 1000, I'm asking this as I have lost touch with chips etc in
> the
> last 2 years and the latest AMD cpus have confused me somewhat.
> Your genuine advice would be most welcome and very much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to reply.
>
> #
> T.

Frobinrobin

Wow.. wish I had 1000 to spend!
But listen to VanShania - Save your money for the new chipset!
I used to have a old Pentium socket 478 - which I got tired of - and so
upgraded to an AMD socket 940 (at a cost of 1200 then).. then a few
months later they brought out the Socket 939, now I've finally upgraded
to socket 939 (at a cost of about 800) - and they are bringing out
Socket AM2!

1000 should buy a nice system - why not spend some of it now on a
decent 17"-19" TFT monitor if you dont have one? <Dont listen to me
...I have an upgrade addiction!!>

Budget motherboard to o/c core2 budget cpu ? DaveJ Overclocking 3 03-05-2008 10:21 AM
Budget AMD system advice Toby Asus 6 04-21-2006 11:55 AM
Budget system Advice? Veritech ATI 12 12-30-2004 07:20 AM
Low budget system -- your advice please? John Blaustein Asus 29 07-26-2004 05:59 AM
Best Budget AMD MicroATX System isayto mato IBM 0 04-15-2004 01:31 AM