Building uc/OS

bkelly

My goal is to gain experience working with an RTOS. After selecting uc/OS
have have the book and software. After installing the software an
starting the book, I don't know how to build the kernnel. Chapter 1 of th
book assume it is runnable in a DOS window, but I don't see how to buil
it. I have an ARM / Cortex evaluation board on order and hope to move t
that.

When can I find a tutorial on how to build the OS. Yes, I have spent a lo
of time searching but have been unsuccessful.

Thank you for your time

---------------------------------------

hamilton

On 10/16/2011 4:58 PM, bkelly wrote:
> My goal is to gain experience working with an RTOS. After selecting uc/OS I
> have have the book and software. After installing the software and
> starting the book, I don't know how to build the kernnel. Chapter 1 of the
> book assume it is runnable in a DOS window, but I don't see how to build
> it.

From the Preface, Page xvi:

What you need to Use uC/OS-II

"The code was compiled with Borland International's C++ V3.1"

> I have an ARM / Cortex evaluation board on order and hope to move to
> that.

What compiler ?
Which chip ?

Go over to " http://micrium.com/page/home " and look for the compiler
and chip you think you are using.

> When can I find a tutorial on how to build the OS. Yes, I have spent a lot
> of time searching but have been unsuccessful.

OK.

> Thank you for your time
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Not Really Me

hamilton wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 4:58 PM, bkelly wrote:
>> My goal is to gain experience working with an RTOS. After selecting
>> uc/OS I have have the book and software. After installing the
>> software and starting the book, I don't know how to build the
>> kernnel. Chapter 1 of the book assume it is runnable in a DOS
>> window, but I don't see how to build it.

> From the Preface, Page xvi:
>
> What you need to Use uC/OS-II
>
> "The code was compiled with Borland International's C++ V3.1"
>

>> I have an ARM / Cortex evaluation board on order and hope to move to
>> that.

> What compiler ?
> Which chip ?
>
> Go over to " http://micrium.com/page/home " and look for the compiler
> and chip you think you are using.
>

>> When can I find a tutorial on how to build the OS. Yes, I have
>> spent a lot of time searching but have been unsuccessful.

> OK.
>

>> Thank you for your time

Since Borland C 3.1 is so old you might want to consider going to the
Micrium web site and getting a more current version of the RTOS, either
Either uCOS-II 2.92 or uCOS-III 3.x. Both are available in source form and
there are plenty of ports for current compilers like gcc, IAR EWARM, Keil,
etc. uCOS-I is quite out of date.

--
Scott
Validated Software

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6553 (20111018) __________

http://www.eset.com

Karthik Bharadwaj

On 10/18/2011 9:46 AM, Not Really Me wrote:
> hamilton wrote:
>> On 10/16/2011 4:58 PM, bkelly wrote:
>>> My goal is to gain experience working with an RTOS. After selecting
>>> uc/OS I have have the book and software. After installing the
>>> software and starting the book, I don't know how to build the
>>> kernnel. Chapter 1 of the book assume it is runnable in a DOS
>>> window, but I don't see how to build it.

>> From the Preface, Page xvi:
>>
>> What you need to Use uC/OS-II
>>
>> "The code was compiled with Borland International's C++ V3.1"
>>

>>> I have an ARM / Cortex evaluation board on order and hope to move to
>>> that.

>> What compiler ?
>> Which chip ?
>>
>> Go over to " http://micrium.com/page/home " and look for the compiler
>> and chip you think you are using.
>>

>>> When can I find a tutorial on how to build the OS. Yes, I have
>>> spent a lot of time searching but have been unsuccessful.

>> OK.
>>

>>> Thank you for your time
>>>

> Since Borland C 3.1 is so old you might want to consider going to the
> Micrium web site and getting a more current version of the RTOS, either
> Either uCOS-II 2.92 or uCOS-III 3.x. Both are available in source form and
> there are plenty of ports for current compilers like gcc, IAR EWARM, Keil,
> etc. uCOS-I is quite out of date.

Your first step should be to look for an official/contributed port for
your compiler suite and chip/devboard combination on the Micrium site.
If you find it, great! you can get up to speed on the OS by running
example code and other small snippets.
Just out of curiosity, what board and compiler are you using?